Mud flaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mud flaps?

how many folks are getting mud flaps? This will be our everyday driver?

They're a must to help protect the rockers. I'm thinking you'll also need something like Xpel Ultimate Plus on at least the lower areas in front of the rear wheels, as it doesn't look like the standard rocker skirts will fully protect the flare in front of the rear wheels, or the leading edges around the side vent.

Larger rocker skirts and splash guards did the trick on C7's. On the C8 I'm thinking even the optional factory skirts with the flare won't be enough.
    '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
    '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
    '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
    '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
    '14 Black Z51 Coupe
    '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

I just ordered them for our build....
      3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon fiber mirrors and spoiler. Carbon Fiber: door handles & boomerangs, Rear Diffuser with vertical diffuser fins, Rear Hatch Vents, engine bay surround pieces, and front grill trim.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnybub View Post
        how many folks are getting mud flaps? This will be our everyday driver?
        I have had splash guards on every Corvette, and they have helped prevent side paint rash. For those who are thinking, they look like hell on a Corvette, all I can say is that if done right, first almost no one notices (and when I point them out to many, they say, “I missed that”), and second, tell that thinking to the tens and tens of Corvette trophies I have won — and I sure as heck do not remove them for shows.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I guess I must be driving all the best roads with my C7 Stingray that has no mud flaps or side skirts. I have a 108,500 miles on it and no road rash on the sides. Just a few spots on the protective film in front of the rear wheels. I may consider them on a C8.

Comment

Originally posted by joemessman View Post
            I guess I must be driving all the best roads with my C7 Stingray that has no mud flaps or side skirts. I have a 108,500 miles on it and no road rash on the sides. Just a few spots on the protective film in front of the rear wheels. I may consider them on a C8.
            I never put mud flaps on either ...i just never thought of it..

i have 135k miles on my everyday driver c6 ...and i noticed that I have to hit the area behind the front wheels i usually have to take my orbital polisher and do that area a little more than the rest of the car to take off some white like mist ...the orbital polisher takes off that white mist like covering that normal waxing by hand doesnt...

my present corvette as a daily driver is black which is crazy...lol

If anyone can tell us more about these mud flaps? That would be cool.

any photos? What do they cost? Are they easy to install? Or are you having the dealer do it on the prep portion of the delivery service or will you simply install yourself..

thanks in advance
            Last edited by JB; 08-25-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              (re: mud flaps) What do they cost? Are they easy to install? Or are you having the dealer do it on the prep portion of the delivery service or will you simply install yourself.
              According to the pricing guide they're $250. Since they're an LPO accessory, if you order them with the car that price should include installation by the dealer when your car is delivered.

Note that they're specified as "molded in color" which we now know (thanks to the great STI debate) this means that they come finished in that satin black plastic, not body color which I believe the ones on the C7 were. Meyersweb posted a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it for you, but they're quite discreet, not big flaps hanging down like some cars.

Comment

If anyone can tell us more about these mud flaps? That would be cool.

any photos? What do they cost? Are they easy to install? Or are you having the dealer do it on the prep portion of the delivery service or will you simply install yourself..

thanks in advance
                Here is a photo from the Accessory Guide RPO - VQK ..... Cost $250.00 .... They are LPO so the dealer will install......Hope this helps......

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 Corvette Accessories.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	63798
                GAN Blade Silver Metallic; DXO Midnight Gray Full Length Dual Racing Stripe; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; AH2 GT2 Napa leather seats; TU7 Seats Two-Tone Jet Black/Adrenaline Red; R6X Custom Interior Trim and Seat Combination; 38S Adrenaline Red custom leather stitch; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6F Bright Red Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; 5JR vis CF mirror caps; ERI Battery Protection pkg.

Comment

I've never installed mud flaps on any of my sports cars and do DD them in the summer. I'm going to wrap the car in xpel... there, it's protected
                  2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Carbon | Comp Seats
                  2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
                  2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
                  2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

Originally posted by jwstegbauer View Post

Here is a photo from the Accessory Guide RPO - VQK ..... Cost $250.00 .... They are LPO so the dealer will install......Hope this helps......

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 Corvette Accessories.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	63798
                    Thank you...it seems quite part of the overall flow of the vehicle..

its not like those old Yosemite sam gun slinging mud flaps...(kidding)

looks like a smart choice as is the other choice by Gthal to just put expel there on the panel..

Im one of few that never thought of either and I drive the cars in the snow and rain...

interesting choices ..

i always thought it was weird Id have to hit that area behind the front tires a little extra with the orbital polisher ...to get rid of tjat white mist like surface...

if I did the 250 dollar mud flaps...i would have to be doing that oribital polishing in that area behind the front wheels...

id say it was years before that white mist required the orbital polishing...for a few minutes before that white mist would turn shiny body color again..

would the expel installation in that area that a hit from rocks and stones and then show the expel damage with nicks to the expel itself?

sounds like some of you do mud flaps on both the front and rear wheel wells and then put expel on the car itself as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

According to the pricing guide they're $250. Since they're an LPO accessory, if you order them with the car that price should include installation by the dealer when your car is delivered.

Note that they're specified as "molded in color" which we now know (thanks to the great STI debate) this means that they come finished in that satin black plastic, not body color which I believe the ones on the C7 were. Meyersweb posted a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it for you, but they're quite discreet, not big flaps hanging down like some cars.
                      As with my C7, I'll purchase the OE parts and install these myself. On the C7, this was about half the cost of ordering these with the car.

The same will be true for most of the optional ground effects components.

Since working on my cars is part of the pleasure of ownership, this is the path I'll take.

If I don't like the molded-in black color on the splash guards, I'll paint them.
                      My C8:
                      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

As with my C7, I'll purchase the OE parts and install these myself. On the C7, this was about half the cost of ordering these with the car.

The same will be true for most of the optional ground effects components.

Since working on my cars is part of the pleasure of ownership, this is the path I'll take.

If I don't like the molded-in black color on the splash guards, I'll paint them.

Well if its half the price to order after the fact and screwing them in sometime down the road that's pretty good information as well..

thanks man...im not a manic when it comes to protecting every aspect of the car from the minute I take delivery..

in general in life and even with my corvettes I tend to think overall perfection is over rated ...

a few road scars that might occur from a pebble or stones not that big a deal......for me...its rare and unlikely unless you have a gravel driveway and di burnouts....

the composite material of the corvette for many years as quite the durable impact resistant skin..

one of tje features I dig about corvette is that durable body material...

i giess thats why over long periods of use...pebble and stone damage is minimal..

still mud flaps that are non obtrusive is a smart play...

half the price for the same item down the road is probably fine...

thanks for the heads up..

Comment

I put them on my C7. I first sanded and painted them to match my car LB color and can't tell they are even there. I also have side boards. I will be doing the same with the C8. 5 yrs and not one rock chip
                          frankb

Comment

Painting the, makes a lot of sense as well. How does the paint hold up?

Comment

Painting the, makes a lot of sense as well. How does the paint hold up?
                              I painted them 5 yrs ago and look just as new. I had bought the primer,color, clear coat. When putting on the color letting it dry you can add more coats as needed. The secret is taking your time with very lite coats.
                              frankb

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X