Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Latest Corvette News And Headlines

Things are starting to heat up about the new C8 Z06! And CORVETTE TODAY covers it all in this News & Headlines episode. Here are some of the topics you'll hear about ...
1. Final stats for the 2021 model year C8 Corvette
2. Nearly half of the C8.R IMSA Edition C8’s are already sold
3. 2022 C8 Configurator is now live
4. The C8 was the 2nd fastest selling new car in August 2021
5. Consumer Reports declines to recommend the 2021 C8 Corvette
6. 2021 C8 tops its class in the JD Power APEAL Study
7. A Nurburgring video captures 2023 C8 Z06 with unofficial track time
8. We have video evidence that the C8 Z06 will also come in an HTC
9. Did we see the reveal colors on the last teaser video for the C8 Z06?
10. Another Easter Egg discovery on the C8 Z06 “Save the Date” video
11. Spy photos of the C8 E-ray confirm it’s a performance hybrid
12. New Zealand about to get their right-hand drive C8 Corvettes
13. The C8 Z06 might break 3 production V8 records
14. Chevrolet has officially quit making the LT5 engine with 755 hp

This is a long list of topics, and it's not everything that's covered in this episode of the CORVETTE TODAY podcast.

Listen Here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Website & Merchandise: www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
Get CORVETTE TODAY email notifications: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
Join the CORVETTE TODAY Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
2 of 3 < >

PRIVATE MESSAGE HINT/HELP

Some are having trouble seeing a PM another member has sent them, saying it is just the title and then a big white blank page. Just click on the title and the message will open up for you. Thanks.
See more
See less

Observations and thoughts after seeing the cars at Carlisle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations and thoughts after seeing the cars at Carlisle

In no particular order (and sorry this became so long):

This car is bad-###. It has a presence that says "Here is something special." It's clearly a Corvette, but not like any Corvette that's come before. The styling isn't perfect, but it's very, very good, and there are legitimate reasons for what I consider to be the weaknesses.

From looking at photos, my biggest concern was the length of the rear deck. In person, it's not as much of an issue as I thought. The curve of the rear valance, and the way the stylists have sculpted the rear deck, minimize the apparent length. From some angle is still looks huge, but from most it's OK, and I'm willing to accept the trade-off for decent luggage space. Am curious about how the 'vert will look without the fastback filling in a lot of that deck.

In front, the hood line is noticeably higher than its European competition. Again, though, it's not as significant in person as in photos, and I'm willing to accept the trade-off for a deeper frunk.

The spoiler: I don't like it. From photos, I thought it was actually pretty good, and that I might even like it with better than without. After seeing in on multiple cars today, I don't like it all all. A smaller one, like the wing spoiler option on the C7, might look good, but I'll be happier with the look of the base I plan to order.

Edit: A couple of additional thoughts. The back end, which looks really busy in a lot of photos, looks just fine in person. Not once did I even think about whether the back end was too busy or not. And I have to agree with everyone who has said it looks even better in person than it does in pictures.

The interior is definitely a step up from the C7, and a huge step up from earlier generations. It's not a Rolls, or Bently, or even a Ferrari interior, but it's very nice. Almost none of the dull black plastic that's all over the C7 interior. The 3LT interior is nicer than the 2LT, but to my eye most people wouldn't really notice the difference unless you asked them to compare.

Sat in both GT1 and GT2 seats. Admittedly, a couple of minutes isn't the same as hours behind the wheel, but they seem very comparable. If you don't want to pay $1500 for the GT2 seats, I think the GT1 seats will be fine. (With the caveat that the 1LT doesn't have adjustable lumbar or side bolsters - you need the 2LT to get those with the GT1 seats). The bolsters on both the GT1 and GT2 seats are "Mulan" leather. Only the center seating area on the GT2 seats is "Napa." But to be honest, the Napa doesn't feel all that much different. Yes, if you really compare, it's a little bit softer, but it's not like the difference between "Pleather" and Connolly hides in a Rolls Royce. The Napa leather certainly wouldn't be a reason for me to pay for the GT 2 seats.

​​​BUT, the two-tone seats look fantastic, and require GT2. The gray/black and red/black look great (and so does the natural / black in pictures). For me, the all red seats are too much red, and the all gray are too light, and likely to need constant cleaning. But with black inserts, they're great.

Speaking of seats, the perforated inserts on the light colors create an odd effect. The size and pitch of the holes varies from the outside to the inside, creating a shading effect, and it sort of makes it look like the seats are dirty if you just glance at them. The black inserts eliminate this.

And speaking of light colors, if you're getting the Natural Dipped, order yourself some black floor mats ASAP. It was wet and muddy today, and the natural mats were already a mess. Invest is some Adams (or your favorite brand) carpet cleaner, too.

Oh, some have commented that the fabric on the Competition seats didn't feel very nice. I thought it was fine.

GM personnel have made a big deal about the "feel" of the buttons and pulls on the transmission selector. I guess they didn't seem all that special to me. Nothing negative, but nothing that made me say "wow," either.

The feel and look of the cockpit from the driver's seat is great. And the long row of buttons on the console is easy to see and reach for the driver. I did notice there don't seem to be any physical controls on the dash or console for the audio system, other than volume. But you can select the audio system controls to display on the right side of the main display, and control them from the steering wheel.

The passenger side of the interior is fine. Doesn't feel cramped or narrow at all. The one negative is that the climate control buttons are angled toward the driver, and a little bit hard for the passenger to see and reach. Not a major thing, but it is noticeable. All in all, though, I love the interior.

What else....? Colors

I'm leaning heavily toward Torch Red. I wasn't crazy about the black accents on red in photos, but in person it looks great. I mentioned before I always wanted a Ferrari, and the C8 in red is the closest thing I'll ever afford.

They didn't have a white one, but did have silver and Ceramic Matrix which I think give me a feel for what the white would look like. The red grabs me a lot more. The car does look nice in silver, though.

There were a couple of Rapid Blue cars in the VIP parking area. I like that color a lot more than I thought I would. Probably not enough to choose it over red, but you never know. Even on a gray, cloudy day, it pops. If you order Rapid Blue, the two-tone blue upholstery is almost mandatory.

The Zeus Bronze, from photos, seems to really glow in the sun, but under heavy clouds it really looks dull and brown. But since a lot of people never take their 'vettes out on anything but a sunny day, this might not matter to them.

There was an LBR in the VIP lot with body color accents. Some have commented that since the vent blades aren't flush with the body they might look bad in body color, but I thought it looked fine. The blades were a slightly different color than the body, but I assume that's just a pre-production issue.

Accelerate Yellow: Not sure how meaningful this is, but.... on the plastic "frogs" used for the color samples, under the artificial lighting in the GM building, I didn't notice any green tinge at all. Of course, that doesn't tell me anything about how it will look in sunlight.

Haven't been crazy about the tri-spoke wheels, but the Spectra Gray color is fantastic. I'd consider paying for that on the 5 spoke if I could.

After seeing it in person, I don't think the Stingray logo on the rear deck looks bad at all. I might leave it there after all, rather than debadging it.

I mentioned in another thread that the red intake cover matches the red of the valve covers. They had one complete car and the cutaway with the red cover, and both matched the valve covers.

They also had a cutaway engine, and you can reach under the engine cover and feel under where the silver inserts are. As someone else mentioned, there are no pins holding the silver insert in place. It seems like it's glued, which may be a complication for those who are planning to paint it themselves.

Confirmed with a GM rep that ALL LT2s have the same stainless headers, not just the Z51, and that there is no 48 volt electrical system.

During a session about thermal management on the C8, a question was asked about radiator damage due to their low / forward placement. The GM engineer said they have a very rigorous test to ensure the radiators will stand up to impacts far greater than what will be encountered on the road, and the the C8 passed that test. Also that the A/C system on the C8 is completely revised, and works much better that on the C7. Having 200+ degree coolant flowing through the tunnel, rather than 2,000 degree exhaust, also helps keep the cabin much cooler. As does having the major heat source behind the cabin, rather than in front. The C8 has nearly twice the coolant capacity of the C7. (Coolant changes aren't going to be cheap!)
    Last edited by meyerweb; 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM.
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Great report meyerweb.

Comment

Great observations and thanks for taking the time to share how you feel about this new generation corvette. I’m surprised there isn’t a Elkhart Lake Blue car in attendance.
      2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
      6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
      2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
      2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

Thank you.
        2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Originally posted by V1 VR View Post
          Great observations and thanks for taking the time to share how you feel about this new generation corvette. I’m surprised there isn’t a Elkhart Lake Blue car in attendance.
          Was hoping to see one, too. That's the other color option at the top of my list.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Oh, and one more observation: I'm really, really glad I got to see and sit in the cars!

Comment

The good news ELB is the same as last years C7 as far as color goes BUT...I would love to see it in the wild before mine gets here....I’m in for a”triple blue C8” as John called it. Exciting times indeed.
              😎
              2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
              6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
              2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
              2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

Wonderful report!
                thank you

Comment

Great report.Well now I had orded the LBR but after looking and hearing about the Bronz I have changed my order to that.Now I wonder should I go back to the LBR.Is it a darker red or not.Wow

Comment

Excellent review, thoughtful and information and definitively helpful to many. Superbly done meyerweb!
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Wow, thanks for going into detail about your impressions Meyerweb, it's very useful info.

In particular I'm glad you to got to compare the GT1 and GT2 seats since I've been wondering if the latter would really be worth it for me. If you ever get the opportunity, I would love to hear about the difference when sitting in the competition seat. Are the bolsters really that much tighter, especially since with the 2LT in theory you should be able tighten up the power seatback bolsters. I understand the competition seat has the more exaggerated seat bottom bolsters than the GT2, but it's controlling one's upper body that I'm more concerned about so you're not hanging onto the steering wheel for support in high-G corners.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Comment

Excellent review and since you mentioned the torch red exterior is a favorite of yours...are you or would you do the black mirror cap and rear spoiler and black wheels or would you do torch red mirrors and rear spoiler and silver or grey wheels?

someone mentioned the torch red in the show stand it might have been the lighting that made it pop..

i went to the show thinking torch red with red mirrors and red rear spoiler...now Im not so sure which to order...

in shooting the breeze some said order the body color and if you want black mirrors or rear spoiler you could just get it wrapped locally...and then when you might tire of it just pull the wrap and go back to body color should the mood strike...

so with all that Meyerweb which would you choose...

Comment

Meyerweb: Great report. "Ausgezeichnet" Thanks; You answered many of my questions. Waiting for the HTC reveal.
                          Heidi
                          Save the Wave
                          2021 TR HTC 2LT (HTM DTH D86 E60 FE2 Q8T J6F NPP VQK AH2 SQU AH2)

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            Excellent review and since you mentioned the torch red exterior is a favorite of yours...are you or would you do the black mirror cap and rear spoiler and black wheels or would you do torch red mirrors and rear spoiler and silver or grey wheels?

someone mentioned the torch red in the show stand it might have been the lighting that made it pop..

i went to the show thinking torch red with red mirrors and red rear spoiler...now Im not so sure which to order...

in shooting the breeze some said order the body color and if you want black mirrors or rear spoiler you could just get it wrapped locally...and then when you might tire of it just pull the wrap and go back to body color should the mood strike...

so with all that Meyerweb which would you choose...
                            I've gone back and forth on that question, and I think I favor the body color mirror and spoiler on the Z51. But with the black accents in other places black mirrors and spoiler would look good, too. I'm one of those who doesn't like the black wheels at all. To me, it seems that from more than a few feet away they just blend in with the tires and wheel wells and just becomes one large black space.

Comment

Im in agreement..i go back and forth on the black mirrors but since we have to get the black spoiler too...i think Ive decided body colored and call it a day.

thank you for your insights. Im going to do the silver painted wheels. I thouht they looked good and the price is right too..

if i change my mind Ill just have them powdercoated...

i need two sets of wheels anyway for the winter months anyway..

i appreciate your many insights....

have fun!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X