Z51 Package or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z51 Package or Not

I'm about to order my C8 and I live in a colder climate in Canada. I will daily drive my car from late April till late October and I will never track it. I'm debating if I should get the Z51 package for the following reasons.
    • The summer tires that come with the Z51 package wont last as long as the all season tires and would most likely not have very good traction in colder weather.
    • I plan on ordering the high-wing spoiler so no need to pay for the small spoiler and potentially be left with holes when they take it off.
    • I have NPP on my Camaro and have pulled the fuse to disable it. I would most likely do the same on my C8 until I replace it with a custom exhaust.
    I plan on ordering the 2LT with GT2 seats and possibly the front lift. I would appreciate any input on my reasons why I shouldn't order the Z51.

Ive been daily driving z51 s without mrc for two decades and 250k miles..

ive driven non z51 corvettes of the same year and they dont handle as well on the street.

my advice if money isnt an issue...spend the five grand for z51.

it makes for the best handling sports car for the street.

Comment

Like JB said if you can afford it do it. If money is tighter and you’re not going to track the car then skip it.

Comment

Your in Canada Your car your choice.I usually get the Z51 option.Not this time although I am getting perf.exh.The C8 is going to be a little different from others and unless you are a very serious driver I would not get it.Also the wing in my opinion takes alot off the clean lines. Cheers Jim

Comment

Lot's of discussion about this already. Some will say absolutely, some will say not really needed if you're not going to track. There's no single right answer. It all depends on what YOU value, and your budget. Personally, I think that for a street car there is little to no benefit from the Z51.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Current C7: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black overDaytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Im also the guy who spent two grand to change the rear pumkin on my z06 to 3.72 gears from getrag.

the gearing differential from 342 to 3.72 s ...

i thought it made for a peppier car..i then added headers for two grand...and then did an aftermarket cam to lift the hp to 400 hp all for fun street driving. ( i really prefer factory tuned performance .

its definitely a personal choice but one lesson I learned was to keep the car relatively stock so its better in my opinion to get the factory verson of their best performer than to modify later on.

the z06 will probably be an additional25 grand and will be out in a year or two...so for roght now I know i will be happy with the z51 for the street.

zero to sixty in under three seconds will be the fastest accelerating car Ive ever owned. I want the heavy duty cooling as I know in heavy traffic in the heat of the summer the ls and probablyLT motors pull timing whereas with heavy duty cooling its less apt to occur. Add in the slightly thicker sway bars etc and better brakes...the difference is probably less than 10 percent...but since the z51 with the 1200 dollar npp exhaust .....our actual net cost increase is only about five percent...

for an extra five percent I get all the performance goodies...

i prefer the npp exhaust because aftermarket exhausts can cause a drone on the highway and at 60 years old...sometimes i like the quieter highway ride especially when driving on the highway for hours.

fwiw I also believe low end torque is compromised with a loud exhaust all the time not to mention when an aftermarket exhaust is too loud I again believe the pcm pulls timing because of the knock sensors..

i proved this at englishtown drag strip with weekly visits as a younger man both before and after adding an after market corsa indy exhiast on my first c5 z51. I then had the pcm retuned to lower the knock sensors sensitivity and the track performance improved back again.

all just my opinion..

with all due respect anyones opinion can vary and be even more legimate.

not getting z51 if fine. the car is awesome either way yet if you are asking for opinions and why I hope Ive given you the information to make an informed decision.

please note the fastest c8 is the one without z51 so anyone who wants to order a non z51 please remember (not that anyone of us will go flat out ) but if we did a non z51 c8 would smoke a z51 corvette on a top speed run.

z51 is not a track package...unless your running the texas mile and then the non z51 version is the one to get.

194 versus 184

who would pay five percent (3200 dollars) more to get a corvette with 10 mph less top speed?

(when typing on a forum this may accodently come across as intense but if we were just talking it would come across more informative rather than as so intense. Please accept my apologies if in any way this comes across as a definitive answer as opposed to you making the choice that best suits your desires for your corvette c8..

JB
            Last edited by JB; 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the_sim View Post
              I'm about to order my C8 and I live in a colder climate in Canada. I will daily drive my car from late April till late October and I will never track it. I'm debating if I should get the Z51 package for the following reasons.
              • The summer tires that come with the Z51 package wont last as long as the all season tires and would most likely not have very good traction in colder weather.
              • I plan on ordering the high-wing spoiler so no need to pay for the small spoiler and potentially be left with holes when they take it off.
              • I have NPP on my Camaro and have pulled the fuse to disable it. I would most likely do the same on my C8 until I replace it with a custom exhaust.
              I plan on ordering the 2LT with GT2 seats and possibly the front lift. I would appreciate any input on my reasons why I shouldn't order the Z51.
              As you asked for opinions, as you never track it, live where and drive it as you, I would not get the z51 package. Save your $5,000 and use it for other options you would really like, and/or save it for other, non-C8 purposes.

Signed,

One Z51 Fanatic (who has always had it on my Corvettes, and will have it on our C8)

Great 1st post the_sim!
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by the_sim View Post
                You don't need the tires, cooling, you're getting the spoiler and you'll be disabling the NPP. That's pretty much a $5k brake upgrade.

I thought you needed to get the Z51 package and then pay extra for the high-wing spoiler.
                Vin # 2539
                Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X