Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 10/11: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Anyone else “stuck” between choosing the 2LT trim and 1LT with the Z51 package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else “stuck” between choosing the 2LT trim and 1LT with the Z51 package?

Love this forum, and I appreciate the help. The C8 is a great bargain at $60k and IMO, underpriced. But the options add up quick. I know more versions of this car will come out that I will want (and buy), so I sort of set a reasonable cap at 70k for this car. If I stick to my budget, I can’t have both Z51 and 2LT trim. If I get the Z51, I will get the mag ride as well. So if I do both, the extras (maybe from lift too?) push the price into the mid $70’s range. No tracking for me, and this car will be driven often all year round. Any others with my same dilemma? Thanks
    Last edited by brad66; 08-18-2019, 07:02 PM. Reason: Fix title

I can only talk about my uses and feelings. My C8, like my C7, will be used 99.99% on the street. I will NEVER, EVER exceed the limits of either car on the street. Never. If you're even close to the limits of these cars on the street, you're a hazard to yourself and anyone and anything near you.

I will not seriously track my car. I might do an occasional HPDE or similar, but no racing, and no attempts to reach 10/10ths. I've had my base model (non-Z51) C7 on the track 3 times, doing hot laps. Not racing, but definitely driving hard* for up to 15-20 minutes at a time. The base model handled it just fine. Even in 90 degree temps, no overheating of the coolant or oil, and no brake fade. I expect the base C8 will handle those situations at least as well. Michelin says the A/S tires will generate cornering forces of almost 1G.**

Many of the features of the 2LT i will enjoy and get use out of every time I drive the car. The front parking cameras, the rear Panavue mirror, the ventilated (summer) heated (winter) seats, and others. The benefits of the Z51 won't do anything for me on the street, but I'll pay the price in a harsher ride every time I drive it. The taller gearing on the base model will probably improve highway mileage a bit, too, if you spend much time on the highway.

For me, the 2LT is much more useful than the Z51. YMMV.

* I used to race motorcycles. I do have an idea of what driving hard means.

** These tires might be the biggest weakness on a track. I suspect that after half a dozen laps they're going to start getting seriously overheated.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
      I can only talk about my uses and feelings. My C8, like my C7, will be used 99.99% on the street. I will NEVER, EVER exceed the limits of either car on the street. Never. If you're even close to the limits of these cars on the street, you're a hazard to yourself and anyone and anything near you.

I will not seriously track my car. I might do an occasional HPDE or similar, but no racing, and no attempts to reach 10/10ths. I've had my base model (non-Z51) C7 on the track 3 times, doing hot laps. Not racing, but definitely driving hard* for up to 15-20 minutes at a time. The base model handled it just fine. Even in 90 degree temps, no overheating of the coolant or oil, and no brake fade. I expect the base C8 will handle those situations at least as well. Michelin says the A/S tires will generate cornering forces of almost 1G.**

Many of the features of the 2LT i will enjoy and get use out of every time I drive the car. The front parking cameras, the rear Panavue mirror, the ventilated (summer) heated (winter) seats, and others. The benefits of the Z51 won't do anything for me on the street, but I'll pay the price in a harsher ride every time I drive it. The taller gearing on the base model will probably improve highway mileage a bit, too, if you spend much time on the highway.

For me, the 2LT is much more useful than the Z51. YMMV.

* I used to race motorcycles. I do have an idea of what driving hard means.

** These tires might be the biggest weakness on a track. I suspect that after half a dozen laps they're going to start getting seriously overheated.
      Knowing what you want is cool. The standard vehicle without the z51 is cool ...it literally is the fastest corvette for 2020.

enjoy your choice...

plus the clean no spoiler look is quite attractive and elegant.
      Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Btw id choose the z51 fe4...Im into the mission of performance...not because Im tracking the vehicle like a madman ..its more I like the increased focus on the corvettes mission. Ive been enjoying daily driving z51s and z06 corvettes for a quarter of million miles..

ive personally never found the ride too harsh or difficult. Ive enjoyed the slightly more sporting nature of the slightly higher performance suspension, the slightly more aggressive transmission gearing and heavy duty cooling... ..the addition of fe4 mrc shock system just adds to the fun.

the allure of the 2LT doesnt ring my bell.

its a choice each one of us has to find for ourselves.

many will choose both and enjoy.
        Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Discipline is required in these situations but hard to maintain. Many here can relate I'm sure. I've spent all my free time this weekend trying to figure out a way to get the most out of my dollars. My only advice is get the 1LT if you want to add more performance options. Get the 2LT if you can live without the added performance and enjoy the comfort and convenience. So in my case I'm leaning 1LT with Z51, FE4, PDR, and comp seats (I have plans to track). By forgoing the 2LT I save about $6k, get my must have options, and stay under my budget by about $1k. I may even ditch the comp seats if the GT1 is sufficient once I can get some seat time and save another $2k.
          Rapid Blue/Jet Black 1LT, Z51, carbon flash open spoke wheels w/yellow calipers, competition seats w/blue seatbelts

Comment

So I wrote this really long post and then my phone died before I got to post it.....In summary I was dead set originally on Z51 2LT ... I REALLY wanted all those cool new features of the 2LT and the lift, But then the "cheap" in me started to really analyze the residuals (since I likely will only keep the car 3 years). Based off of the C7, a Z51 1LT holds the highest residual. Of course the C8 could be a whole other story.

So then I compared it to the only other car I am/was considering: a 2009-2012 Audi R8. Does the Audi R8 have PDR? No. Front lift? No. Curb cams? No. Hd Rearview cam? No. Blind spot? Maybe not sure. But all in all other than the heated/ventilated seats that the R8 has, it doesn't have anything the 2LT does and yet I would have been fine with this. So why all of a sudden now do I feel I NEED the 2LT? Quite simply, this helped me realize I don't need the 2LT. Sure it would be nice, but financially speaking it doesn't make sense for me. Like you, I want to keep a reasonable cap at 70k.

My original build was 81k. Could I do it? Sure. However the financial sanity in me is not ok to only take back 60% of that in 3 years. So I had to add some self control on the build and I think I've ultimately decided on Z51 1LT FE4 High Wing.

Comment

I'm debating between 2LT and lift with (Z51 + MRC) or (convertible) Because if I'd get all I'd rather wait for a Z06 then spend $85-$90k on a base plus another $5k on ground effects and high wing later.

Comment

My present ride is a C7 convertible, Z51 FE4 2LT. I feel if I do anything less on a C8, it will be a step down, I don't need any more performance than the base engine provides, but I am unwilling to give up the bells and whistles of 2LT and the beefier cooling, handling, brakes and ride of Z51 and FE4.

And if I went with a coupe, where would I put the two golf bags with the roof stowed?

So, waiting for the vert, and some GM promotional pricing after the initial pent up demand is satisfied. I am willing to get by with the C7 for an additional year or two.

Comment

All of these sentiments are on point and I feel the same way on most of them. Do I “need” this or that, and then my brain says “remember to save money”. It truly is a dilemma. I haven’t had the goodies on the 2LT trim for most of my driving life, yet I want them. Wireless phone charging? Of course I need that! Y’all know how much effort it is the have to plug your phone in when you get in the car? That’s almost as burdensome as having to click a button on a key fob to unlock it!

Z51? Yes yes yes. I don’t want a car that can only do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (even though I never use launch control), and if I drive like the instructors at Spring Mountain (which I will never be as good as) then I will need the better brakes/suspension/etc.

2LT? Yes yes yes. My back gets hot driving in the Florida heat. Forget that the cabin is tiny and the Chevy A/C is ice cold. Blind spot alert? Gotta have it. I can’t be expected to watch the road and look in mirrors and be aware of others. Better stereo? Oh my...that 10 speaker base Bose just won’t do. And on and on

The car in general is a luxury that I don’t need, but this amazing machine at this price is so maddening!!! We are all so fortunate to have these “problems”. Thanks

Comment

Wow great thread.
                    Isn’t this great that this new C8 can meet all these needs and wants ....$59,995. Is NOT nothing but I haven’t talked to anyone ,not one person , who thinks this car isn’t a bargain and underpriced @ that price A 1LT with Z51,FE4, around 67k !!! Attention Future buyers GM knows this too! This C8 is a lot of car that meets many expectations....Budget Corvette ,check that box, Track monster ,check that box,Bare bones or luxurious performance DD check that box. Just think you can spend from 60k to 90k plus and get exactly the C8 you need or dream about. Gm nailed it...
                    The reason they offer so many combinations is because GM needs to .....because Corvette nation is very diverse and this 8th generation has hit every note perfectly imo it’s speaking to new young buyers that will carry this icon into double digit generations C9,C10,C11, ect. ect.

I’m a 3LT buyer my C7 was 3LT I like the refined cockpit for many reasons. Is it a value? 🤔don’t know . Does society need whipped cream? Don’t know 🤔but I’m glad it’s available. For some its more about time left and how one spends it (Time is the most precious commodity on the planet imo) for some its more about residual value for the future Z06. This is corvette nation,and it’s all good . It is very important to 1) have a budget and 2) have the discipline to adhere to it. I’m sure GM has figured out the triggers that move there target from 1LT to 2LT and on to 3LT. Case in point,I can't “get” my 2 tone blue interior without the 3LT ??? bullseye GM . Once you get up close to 80k another 3-6 is not that far a stretch for some. This will be my last Corvette it’s also only my second Corvette.

Me,.....I’m blessed to be in this position and going all in OR not IS an available decision for me.
                    My conundrum is ; I find the Z51 spoiler chunky and the non spoiler rear deck elegant. I’d rather not have summer tires forced in the Z51...
                    IF I can make peace with Chunky then it’s another 7k for Z51,FE4, E60...
                    I do like whipped cream though. 😎 After I posted this and read it again I jumped into the deep end
                    I’ve changed my order as of today and I’m all IN ....😍 WHY ?........
                    I remembered I love “Chunky Monkey” with Wipped cream, it’s very very good and life is just too short. Tic toc tic toc ⏰
                    Last edited by V1 VR; 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM.
                    2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                    1100 status 😊
                    2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; E60 lift; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards.

Comment

Just place my order on Saturday - went with the 2LT package. It's a bit pricy -- especially when I learned the GT2 seats are a $1,495 add on -- but anyway, I do have the 2LT in my C7 and like a lot of the added features the package comes with like side and rear warning and cameras, upgraded audio (YES, I happen to like Bose products. Use them in our home and airplane) - the bottom line is, what you choose is purely a personal decision. Have fun.

Comment

Agree this is a good thread question, My C7 conv is a Z51/3LT/FE4/NPP car that is my DD. I think the 2LT has all the "stuff" I want and is close to the C7 3LT wrt niceties. I really think I "need" the Z51 option and the front end lift. The two tone seats are very nice, but of course requires GT2 seats. Price goes up ... hmmm ... tough to decide. Then there is the conv vs coupe decision ... I'm letting it rest a bit.

Comment

Placed an order for a red 2LT with Z51. Since I don’t keep my cars past 2 to 3 years I’m looking at resale value also. KBB with the Z51 package you get almost all that extra money back. When you look at the 2LT option you might get back an extra $1000 only over a 1LT. Now we are talking about a $4500 option on the C7. So the 2LT option doesn’t do very well at resale time. Maybe the C8 2LT $7000 price might get a little more value then the C7 does. Just my 2 cents. Still on the fence plus I’ll get a little later build with the 1LT like November maybe. No early cars sitting outside for a month or more for Quality hold .
                          Still have 2 dealers with deposits. One large #8 spot and one small #3 spot. Time will tell.
                          Last edited by MikeC8; 08-19-2019, 09:34 AM.
                          C8. 2LT Z51. Order status 3000

Comment

I'm going to get a 2LT, Z51, MSRC, etc. I have a 1LT C7, but after having it for 3.5 years I ran out of gadgets to play with on the car. I'm a gadget freak. I don't need them, or the car. I just want them. It's so much fun! I'll play with the new gadgets it comes with for a couple of months and then go back to my old self and not use them. But to me it's worth it. I'll read about one of the gadgets on the forum doing this, or that and try it out for fun again to see what all the hype is about. So on and so on.

Comment

Hi Folks, glad to have found this forum. I've played around with all the above discussed permutations too. I currently have a C6 Z06, which I bought new, and love. My tentative plan is to wait 2-3 years, then buy a used 2LT Z51 with some extra options. Hopefully when the higher performance C8 versions come out, used prices will drop further. GM has outdone itself with the C8, in my opinion! And yeah, I think I can live with the performance of "only" the Z51.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X