MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

All-Electric C8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will not purchase any vehicle that is all electric or hybrid. I love the sound of a V8 and don't want to worry about charging or degrading battery pack costing 20K, 30K even if I would rarely use the vehicle.
    Rocket City Florida

Comment

I would only be interested in an ev Corvette if Chevy (or any other manufacturer) could produce a racing version of their car that could compete in the GTLM class at Le Mans only requiring a battery swap every stint or two.

Comment

I would consider a hybrid C9. Right now, I am loving that the C8 is an ICE for at least quite a few more years, but not ruling anything out.

I love ICE exhaust music!!!
        Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
          Trust me, they designed the central backbone for the battery pack in the C9.
          I agree...
          Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

Yep, I was in the minority and voted that I would buy one now.... conditionally given recharge time, charge duration and battery life. There really needs to be more charging stations available too so that long trips are no issue. I have a co-worker who is all about Tesla, but every long distance trip he makes has to be planned out with the locations of charging stations. I like to just get in a go.

I've always said that if electric cars looked "cool" and not like a Prius, smart car, or leaf, and were reasonably priced, they would sell like crazy. What's cooler looking than our Corvettes? An all electric that looks great, performs great, has little maintenance and is completely reliable... I'm in. I too love the sounds of a rumbling V8 but if it helps me give the appropriately selected finger to the Middle East and their oil,... Bose exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post
              Yep, I was in the minority and voted that I would buy one now.... conditionally given recharge time, charge duration and battery life. There really needs to be more charging stations available too so that long trips are no issue. I have a co-worker who is all about Tesla, but every long distance trip he makes has to be planned out with the locations of charging stations. I like to just get in a go.

I've always said that if electric cars looked "cool" and not like a Prius, smart car, or leaf, and were reasonably priced, they would sell like crazy. What's cooler looking than our Corvettes? An all electric that looks great, performs great, has little maintenance and is completely reliable... I'm in. I too love the sounds of a rumbling V8 but if it helps me give the appropriately selected finger to the Middle East and their oil,... Bose exhaust.
              It’s not just giving the Middle East the California howdy. Emissions and being a finite resource are a bigger problem.
              There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
              2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
              79 coupe Silver/oyster
              All one owner
              Museum lifetime members

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	4C8661A6-4F08-48A1-8AE7-3D531316BCC3.png Views:	0 Size:	892.2 KB ID:	59310
                Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
                Trust me, they designed the central backbone for the battery pack in the C9.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	871E7616-6FB7-47BD-8576-4D7C9B87209A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	225.5 KB ID:	59309 Although the center tunnel looks like it could be replaced by a battery pack, wouldn’t that raise the center of gravity?

Seems like using the floor like Tesla, in the top photo, would keep it lower.....
                The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Originally posted by midenginenc View Post
                  I would like to see a more electric corvette. But realistically speaking the C8 Corvette could provide a platform for an electric Cadillac ELR. Here is how and why.

https://www.torquenews.com/5474/2020...illac-supercar
                  Great article. I was unaware of that Cadu' connection before I started this poll. Thanks.
                  Bob Sliwa
                  Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                    Click image for larger version Name:	4C8661A6-4F08-48A1-8AE7-3D531316BCC3.png Views:	0 Size:	892.2 KB ID:	59310

Click image for larger version Name:	871E7616-6FB7-47BD-8576-4D7C9B87209A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	225.5 KB ID:	59309 Although the center tunnel looks like it could be replaced by a battery pack, wouldn’t that raise the center of gravity?

Seems like using the floor like Tesla, in the top photo, would keep it lower.....
                    Yes what you are suggesting is true..still gm has tended to make their previous battery packs i believe in the shape of a T...where as teslas teslas thousands of small panasonic batteries do position well in a flat underbelly.

not sure which one would offer lighter weight...or a lower center of gravity...GM s previous T shaped battery os of a completely different nature than teslas which appear to be more like thousands of double A batteries from panasonic...

good discussion...

i do believe teslas use of the flat battery flooring is a central function of its vehicles chassis which was quite inventive in the industry.

i tend to side with GM design. Many mention teslas unique electrical architecture as weight saving by a dramatic amount yet my gm tecj did mention when a failure in the tesla design did occur over time. The entire system would default and require replacement...

which could if it occurred quite an expensive and lengthy replacement proposition ...

teslas electrical system shares while GMs is more sub system seperate unit architecture. (Sub systems connected where as tesla has multiple use lines which could make diagnosis more challenging .

it will be interesting to see which is preferred as a mass market device in full service over 100s of thousands of miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                      Click image for larger version Name:	4C8661A6-4F08-48A1-8AE7-3D531316BCC3.png Views:	0 Size:	892.2 KB ID:	59310

Click image for larger version Name:	871E7616-6FB7-47BD-8576-4D7C9B87209A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	225.5 KB ID:	59309 Although the center tunnel looks like it could be replaced by a battery pack, wouldn’t that raise the center of gravity?

The Chevrolet Volt has the battery pack in the center tunnel and in front of the rear wheels in a "T" formation as shown below.

And my C2 restomod has one of the largest of the Volt batteries (there are 3 under that "T" configuration housing) longitudinally oriented directly behind the rack & pinon to about a foot inside of the transmission tunnel.

So a tunnel configuration would indeed work, but it would not have as low a center of gravity as Tesla's "skateboard" configuration.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Volt Battery Configuration.PNG Views:	1 Size:	937.5 KB ID:	59369
                      Last edited by Shepherd777; 08-14-2019, 04:49 PM.
                      Bob Sliwa
                      Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.

Comment

Cool resto mod..Im curious ...could it be GMs battery design being so different than teslas could the gm unit be lighter in fiture iterations than teslas more AA battery type setup.

i dont have the proper terminology but GM s battery technology is very very different than what tesla does with its ev..

i would think increasing power density with GM s design would allow for advancements in bettery technology a lot more easily lowering overall battery weight contribution.

teslas design utilizing the battery pack as an integral part of the chassis was quite inventive in reducing overall weight but the batteries being individual units connected in the structure is in some ways more complex.

i had believed tesla would be suffering individual battery failures inside the structure which never seemed to actually occur...so the best solution is jard to decipher at this point.

any reason you chose a volt or bolt battery as compared to the tesla floor unit?

packaging and availability?

do you know what the bolt battery pack looks like? Compared to the volt?

thanks in advance.

JB

Comment

Here is a photo article on the bolt battery pack...and it looks like it could attach to the center backbone chassis as the current six chassis pieces do to the c8 back bone. No battery in the center tunnel...would be necessary but rather attach and bolt up to solutions..

check it out

https://insideevs.com/news/339203/a-...lt-ev-battery/

Comment

This was a fascinating and enlightening read of bolt versus tesla battery technology...quite the opposite of what many of us might assume,

still the very last paragraph does offer enlightenment as to which in fact might be the denser battery pack by weight...

ease of production goes to the bolt battery pack and GM while teslas glueing of a cooling ribbon was quite ingenious ...

imgive the nod to gm for total assembly ease and suggest the last few sentences in the story im now linking to might sow over all the gm design is the smarter play...

of course Im gm biased so keep that in mind...

https://insideevs.com/news/339203/a-...lt-ev-battery/

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post

The Chevrolet Volt has the battery pack in the center tunnel and in front of the rear wheels in a "T" formation as shown below.

And my C2 restomod has one of the largest of the Volt batteries (there are 3 under that "T" configuration housing) longitudinally oriented directly behind the rack & pinon to about a foot inside of the transmission tunnel.

So a tunnel configuration would indeed work, but it would not have as low a center of gravity as Tesla's "skateboard" configuration.

Click image for larger version Name:	Volt Battery Configuration.PNG Views:	1 Size:	937.5 KB ID:	59369
                              Thanks for sharing that Bob.
                              I guess low cg isn’t all that need be considered. Obviously, weight distribution is important as well. When you’re trying to harness thousands of ft lbs of torque, you’ll want some weight on those driven wheels.
                              Time will tell what the GM engineers come up with....
                              The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

If you look at the full ev casing of the bolts battery it is of a completely different design than the Volts.

pancake flat and a structural design element to chassis rigidity.

combing a central tunnel design with its massive rigidity to a pancake like Bolt flat battery which also adds to chasis rigidity that bolts up to the center central backbone ...would create quite the ease to which producing these vehicles would be simple and quite an advancement over teslas skateboard design....

remember GM s 100 plus years of production techniques are probably being leveraged quite well.

i dont see the central tunnel holding batteries but rather more as an attachment point with bolt up capability for the six battery pack chassis components..

profit per vehicle has escaped tesla for a reason. I would imagine GM s approach solves that part of the construction price profitability of the equation.

we will see as gm rolls out 22 full evs come 2022..

supposedly the ev revolution will be spearheaded by cadillac this time to do battle with tesla and if cadillac does not come out on top..lthe investment experiment into the cadillac brand will after several impressive attempts technically come to an end.

gM moved cadillac technically to a superior drovers vehicle then the so called brand labelled previously as the “ultimate driving machine”

stock for stock, dollar for dollar cadillac V series sedans bested the BMW M division yet cadillac failed in the sales race..

that cant happen this time as cadillac foregoes bmw and goes after the luxury leader who is now recognized as tesla...

i believe we will see an offshoot of the c8 in both gasoline and electrified form...for the cadillac division.

more importantly the chassis structure design leads the way for future cadillac ev products including cuvs and maybe one sedan...

battery power for the corvette ill pass personally...

ill be enjoying my c8 z51 fe4 for a long time to come...but I sure would like to buy my wife a corvette crosstrek cuv that shared its structure with a cadillac branded ev cuv...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X