MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

We Need To Publicly Test the C8 Bomb before it is Customer Dropped in January?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Need To Publicly Test the C8 Bomb before it is Customer Dropped in January?

At some point in time independent testers, journalist, public will be allowed access to drive the C8.

What is the benefit or burden analysis on the timing of testing. The early citizen C8 recipients may or may not be extroverted. GM gave the utubers tickets to the Reveal. Will they get first C8 deliveries?

How will independent performance driving, sampling, demonstration and testing play out. It might be more informative to get the first information from actual customers and buyers after they get delivery. Especially so if the C8 is a performance star. The opinions/impressions of people who love the car and intend to own, use it and care for it will have practical meaning.

How the C8 fits as a friendly and reliable member of the household may be more important than how it runs track, kicks sand in faces, and slam-dunks.

But at some point soon people want to know the athletic abilities of C8? What happens when you light a match to the fuse of the C8 and cover your ears? Mash the peddle to the metal.

Are you one that does not have preference, curiosity or concern? Tell GM what you think. They are listening and responding even if indirectly.
    Last edited by SheepDog; 08-11-2019, 04:06 PM.

I am interested in reports from places that have:
    1. For objective measurements -- accurate measuring equipment, the ability to use it including knowing how to deal with statistical outliers, and the knowledge to correct for conditions, e.g. road surface, temperature, wind, etc, etc.
    2. For subjection evaluations -- multiple staff with differing biases to debate pros and cons, plus many years of collective experience in evaluating cars within the segment both current and historical, plus the ability to communicate their evaluations effectively.
    All this boils down the main buff books, primarily Car & Driver and Road & Track, with consideration given to some others such as Corvette Magazine and Automobile.

Other sources of info such as direct user experiences I will read with interest but keep a large salt shaker handy. A couple of YouTube channels may fall into that category but the vast majority of them are yahoos pushing **** for clicks. "Influencers" (yuck) are a waste of time.

Boy, that sounded pretty harsh, huh? Must be because we haven't seen an AYM yet and I'm getting grumpy.
    Last edited by Klinn; 08-11-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Love the metaphors sheepdog. Kline, I agree with you that I want to read about the testing and driving In all the magazines too.

Comment

What? No love for motor trend?

just curious...
        Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

I too would love to read extensive reviews. Expect we shall see them in the October time frame. But if we do not, I am still buying a C8. GM knows that they are betting the farm on this car, and as I have full faith in the Corvette team, I will not delay my purchase one day to see auto media results. If they do not even appear until the day after I take delivery, I will still sleep well, ecstatic while I drive my C8.

But do I eagerly look forward to those media treats? Hell yes.
          Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

There will be some benefit to seeing YouTube videos from guys who have literally driven every single super car out there. They may not be as precise for performance figures but they actually know what it is like to drive each one of the supercars and some of them do it on a regular basis.

Guys like Doug Demuro and Shmee will do excellent real world reviews of the car and they both own many super cars themselves.

Others will simply be idiots with money and “influence”. It is important to be able to distinguish between the two types of YouTubers.

There is a lot of garbage on YouTube but there also is an incredible wealth of knowledge if you know where to look.

Comment

I have to agree on Doug Demuro...I feel he gives some of the best reviews on Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                What? No love for motor trend?

just curious...
                We already "know" the C8 will be Motor Trend's Car of the Year, so their reviews will be biased to support that conclusion.
                Last edited by ABorC; 08-11-2019, 08:02 PM.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	81FB694D-2F1D-4821-8C38-9144464C8EB4.jpeg
Views:	544
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	58438 No love for Supercar Blondie? 😎
                  The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

We already "know" the C8 will be Motor Trend's Car of the Year, so their reviews will be biased to support that conclusion.
                    Surprisingly i did not know the corvette would be the motor trend car of the year.
                    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT VK3 GKZ HTA

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

It might be Ford's, ChryslerFiat's and some foreign manufacturers pick for car of the year, too.
                      Last edited by SheepDog; 08-11-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I am very much looking forward to some objective performance testing of the C8 Z51. Heck, I'm giving up my C7 Z06, which is a beast. I would like to see some validation of the claim that the new car outperforms the Z06 in every way. I am skeptical but rooting for that claim to be validated. We shall see.

Comment

I’d like to see some objective track times for sure.

However, I put far more stock in the test drivers who worked on the car during development than journalists. That’s why I bought many of my fun cars without test drives and/or seeing magazine reviews. I haven’t been disappointed yet.
                          2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Adrenaline Red | Carbon | Comp Seats | Ground Effects | High Wing ... on order
                          2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
                          2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
                          2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

Originally posted by capevettes View Post
                            Heck, I'm giving up my C7 Z06, which is a beast.

You are giving up a bunch.

The Z06 has performance sensation. Moment .Occassion. Visceral deliverance. Qualities that are measured in your heart and mind. Z06 phenomenistics.

Will the C8 Stingray match up with the Z. We'll see. The Corvette development people think it that takes things to a higher level. Can not imagine the C8 Z06.

Straight speed stats, lap times, handling, stopping and acceleration are measurable. So they have importance. Maybe too much.

Because, once the car is as capable as the best. Once the stats are adequate, and it goes, stops, turns and does all the stunts surely enough and fast enough, then is it really the experiential and visceral experience that determine the quality of the car.

So, your Z06 is an accomplishment. Regardless of how much faster things may become. But great stuff gets superseded as development move on.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Surprisingly i did not know the corvette would be the motor trend car of the year.
                              MT always picks the flashiest, most publicized new car. Their award is designed to generate ad revenue, nothing more.
                              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X