Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

2020 Production Rate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2020 Production Rate

    I heard production starts first of December for 2 weeks, three weeks production in January and then full production after that. If you believe the production planning of 33,000-34,000 for 2020, then you might guess 1500 produced in December, 2250 produced in January, and then around 3,000 a month for the rest of the model year. Does this jive with anyone else’s understanding? I understand the engine factory was set up to produce 40,000 units for 2020.
    TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

    Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

  • #2
    Originally posted by bpost22 View Post
    I heard production starts first of December for 2 weeks, three weeks production in January and then full production after that. If you believe the production planning of 33,000-34,000 for 2020, then you might guess 1500 produced in December, 2250 produced in January, and then around 3,000 a month for the rest of the model year. Does this jive with anyone else’s understanding? I understand the engine factory was set up to produce 40,000 units for 2020.
    Sounds about right but keep in mind that this first production year is actually shorter than normal so I don't think they'll be able to make 30K+ for the 2020 model.

    Comment


    • #3
      When does the 2020 model year end?

      July ,august or September...2020? (Production)

      usually the manufactrers like to introduce the following year vehicle as early as possible to improve lease residuals and most manufacturers create a slightly higher price each model year as well.

      I expect a price increase during the first year of production...could just be on option price upgrades although base msrp could get a price increase as well. I think gm did that with the c7 as well.

      C8 demand is very very high...higher than I think anyone expected...
      Last edited by JB; 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JB View Post
        When does the 2020 model year end?

        July ,august or September...2020? (Production)

        usually the manufactrers like to introduce the following year vehicle as early as possible to improve lease residuals and most manufacturers create a slightly higher price each model year as well.

        I expect a price increase during the first year of production...could just be on option price upgrades although base msrp could get a price increase as well. I think gm did that with the c7 as well.

        C8 demand is very very high...higher than I think anyone expected...
        Production years normally run from September to the following July. The C8 doesn't start until December so its a shorter production run IF Chevy sticks with its usual July end of production. Given that they made it well known that the new C8 will start at under $60K I don't think there will be a price increase the first year. You can surely bet there will be for 2021.

        Comment


        • #5
          Im sure you are onto something...l think option list pricing as John alluded to earlier in another thread is probably where profit margins will lie..

          and I'm ok with that...

          i selfishly just hope its in real luxury end of the option list spectrum...

          it really could be in the breath of options lists where gm expects to make a larger portion of its profit...

          i think its four hundred dollars to get seat belts that are red or orange etc as opposed to black...

          to my brain..I'm like holly **** but for most sane corvette buyers they are thrilled to have the opportunity to customize the new c8s...

          and i think thats awesome GM is giving consumers the choice..

          i think that kind of wide ranging options will be where the higher profts are planned to come from..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JB View Post
            Im sure you are onto something...l think option list pricing as John alluded to earlier in another thread is probably where profit margins will lie..

            and I'm ok with that...

            i selfishly just hope its in real luxury end of the option list spectrum...

            it really could be in the breath of options lists where gm expects to make a larger portion of its profit...

            i think its four hundred dollars to get seat belts that are red or orange etc as opposed to black...

            to my brain..I'm like holly **** but for most sane corvette buyers they are thrilled to have the opportunity to customize the new c8s...

            and i think thats awesome GM is giving consumers the choice..

            i think that kind of wide ranging options will be where the higher profts are planned to come from..
            Yep I think that's exactly whats Chevy is now doing taking out of the Porsche playbook. Base cars will be available to the average current Corvette buyer but with customization options lists to allow the guys that want so much more the ability to do so and thats where Chevy will make a ton of money.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's been a goal for years to increase customization from the factory which is good for consumers and GM.

              Why leave as.much money as in the past to aftermarket companies.?

              Hopefully it won't extend to.far in pricing of performance options that Corvette faithful are accustomed too..

              Ie: z51 and or fe4..
              ​​​​​

              Comment


              • #8
                I understand they added 400 workers (total to 1300) for a second shift production. I really am not familiar when production usually stops, but I did see a planned production number of 33,000 2020 C8’s, including overtime. (I had heard that C7 first year production was 37,000) Just guessing around 1500 C8’s produced in December, add another 500 produced first of January and you could predict about 2000 first deliveries the first of February. So do the math, and 1500 C8’s in December is about 4.5% of total production/allocation. Dealers with 50 allocations might expect around 2 allocated for September. A dealer with 500 allocations might expect 20-25 allocated in September. Just really rough numbers... but gives you an idea of where you might stand.
                Last edited by bpost22; 08-10-2019, 03:42 PM.
                TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

                Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks boosts 22, but initial production is far from linear. Production for the C7 for example, started at a rate of only 1 C7 per hour. Then when they completed extra quality control inspections and were satisfied that all standards were met, did they increase to two C7’s per hour, then to 4 per hour, then 8 per hour, etc.

                  It took quite a while to get to the full production rate.

                  At this point since the BGA C7 to C8 conversation has not yet started in earnest, and will not start even next month, GM does not yet know how fast the production rate will be the first few months.

                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If bowling green doesn't meet demand for those of us on dealer lists...do those who were scheduled get moved to 2021 lists or do those on lists for 2021 already get preference..lol

                    i have a sneaky feeling even with double shifts many of us waiting on lists could be pushed to model year 2021 and with no ither choice Ill just smile and say ok..

                    this first year of ordering with massive reservation lists is great for GM...

                    Im not so sure Im loving it at this point after reading all the things Ive read on line today but in the scheme of things in life...its important to remember how silly it would be to get annoyed...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JB View Post
                      If bowling green doesn't meet demand for those of us on dealer lists...do those who were scheduled get moved to 2021 lists or do those on lists for 2021 already get preference..lol

                      i have a sneaky feeling even with double shifts many of us waiting on lists could be pushed to model year 2021 and with no ither choice Ill just smile and say ok..

                      this first year of ordering with massive reservation lists is great for GM...

                      Im not so sure Im loving it at this point after reading all the things Ive read on line today but in the scheme of things in life...its important to remember how silly it would be to get annoyed...
                      Dealer lists are just that, “dealers” lists, GM has no knowledge of them and has no say in how the dealer manages them. Dealer allocation, OTOH is controlled by GM and barring a natural disaster or a UAW strike all of those cars will get built. The other scenario are orders entered into the GM system at status 1100. Those must be matched up to allocation to be built. If there are orders in the system at status 1100 when the final allocation and ordering is done I believe they get cancelled and must be re-entered by the dealer so it’s up the the dealer whether they enter those in addition to their 2021 orders but again, none of these orders get built until they are matched to an allocation and a dealer can assign any order at status 1100 with an allocation, either one that has been sitting for months or one entered yesterday, it’s entirely up to them. It’s actually a lot of work each week for the dealerships with larger allocation as they need to match up orders with allocation, factor in constraints and manage their customers expectations, not an easy task, I don’t envy them.
                      Mark

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

                        Sounds about right but keep in mind that this first production year is actually shorter than normal so I don't think they'll be able to make 30K+ for the 2020 model.
                        Also I read they are slowing down the line to get to "zero defect" which reminds me of the movie "Mr. Mom," yeah I'm getting up there! That's a classic though. They really are trying to minimize any potential panel gap issues. This isn't a Tesla model 3, after all - I kid, I kid!
                        NCM Life Member

                        Comment

                        MECF_728x90_bottom

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X