High Wing Known & Unknown Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Wing Known & Unknown Info

Thanks to Kirk Bennion, Chief Exterior Designer, we known that the high wing contributes to more downforce than the regular Z51 by some amount, and nicely it reduces drag compared to the Z51’s deck spoiler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8AF2566B-1498-45EC-BE0F-643C8C30A5A8.jpeg
Views:	1751
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	55496

But so much we do not yet know.

The most important piece to me personally, is what is the view in the rear view mirror, both in regular and Panaray video formats? Does it look less than pleasant, this side-to-side solid bar? Feel like something is constantly following you too closely? Or is that a non-issue with the roof mounted camera peering nicely under and over it and within minutes you never notice it at all?

We also do not know its price?

Lastly while we think its installation would require removal of the rear fascia, could there be a way to remove the trunk lining and install it without removing the fascia — for that would be a cause for major celebration. Or, might there be another option we have yet to imagine that would also obviate the fascia’s removal need?
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

I want a wing on my car, but I don't think it will be a Chevrolet wing. Both the Z51 wing and the high wing look like fences, I don't want my wing to have 4 attachments to the body. I will take my C8 with no wing, and look for an after-market design that harmonizes with the design of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Thanks to Kirk Bennion, Chief Exterior Designer, we known that the high wing contributes to more downforce than the regular Z51 by some amount, and nicely it reduces drag compared to the Z51’s deck spoiler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8AF2566B-1498-45EC-BE0F-643C8C30A5A8.jpeg
Views:	1751
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	55496

But so much we do not yet know.

The most important piece to me personally, is what is the view in the rear view mirror, both in regular and Panaray video formats? Does it look less than pleasant, this side-to-side solid bar? Feel like something is constantly following you too closely? Or is that a non-issue with the roof mounted camera peering nicely under and over it and within minutes you never notice it at all?

We also do not know its price?

Lastly while we think its installation would require removal of the rear fascia, could there be a way to remove the trunk lining and install it without removing the fascia — for that would be a cause for major celebration. Or, might there be another option we have yet to imagine that would also obviate the fascia’s removal need?
      here is my question

Does it cost more to buy the high wing (after the fact) at a dealer, to be able have a museum delivery, then it costs to buy it when I order the car?

Comment

The Z51 as delivered always comes with its regular spoiler installed on the car. Then the buyer must additionally purchase the high wing and have it installed. Personally, in spite of the above ray of good news, I am not yet counting on it being able to be installed at NCM. We all hope so!!! If so, one would then have two choices, whether to do it NCM Delivery\ and have it installed there, or drive home and have your dealer (our local dealer or body shop) install it. Regardless of where the install would occur, all who want a high wing are going to have to pay for it from one dealer or another — for NCM is not a GM parts counter and can not directly sell it to you.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

As for the view past the wing:

I've driven a couple of different cars that have a wing or other object bifurcating the view out the back. I think you'll learn to ignore it very quickly. It just becomes invisible to your brain after a while, the way you don't really notice eyeglass frames when you're used to wearing glasses.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
            I want a wing on my car, but I don't think it will be a Chevrolet wing. Both the Z51 wing and the high wing look like fences, I don't want my wing to have 4 attachments to the body. I will take my C8 with no wing, and look for an after-market design that harmonizes with the design of the car.
            Makes no sense, the Chevrolet High Wing ( or spoiler) IS DESIGNED FOR THE C8. Why get some aftermarket wing that’s Not Aero-Balanced for the C8 ?

Comment

Originally posted by majic1980 View Post

Makes no sense, the Chevrolet High Wing ( or spoiler) IS DESIGNED FOR THE C8. Why get some aftermarket wing that’s Not Aero-Balanced for the C8 ?
              Because I don't like the way it looks

Comment

Originally posted by majic1980 View Post

Exactly.

One will of course be able to buy an aftermarket rear spoiler. It may even be very aesthetically appealing to your eyes and everyone else's eyes. But it will most likely be a cluster-truck, aerodynamically. Aerodynamic flutter anyone?

Can you imagine how many hours of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) supercomputer time, and wind tunnel time, GM has invested in the rear spoilers alone? And how much money it cost them to do those precise calculations?

I would ONLY trust the aerodynamicists at GM with any aero components of my C8. Just my 2 cents..
                Last edited by Shepherd777; 08-03-2019, 08:09 PM.
                Bob Sliwa
                Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
                2020 C8 - 2LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Black interior; Z51, Mag Ride, E60 lift, 5ZZ high wing, ZZ3 engine appearance,AH2 GT2 seats, Red Calipers

Comment

Another aspect to consider with the High Wing is that you will be lifting the roof panel a little higher to clear the wing when stowing it. Shouldn’t be too bad. However, lifting a heavier, larger golf bag out and making sure you clear the high wing without scratching it is something for the avid golfers to consider.

I personally will get the High Wing 5ZU in Torch Red to Match the Body Color.
                  Last edited by ZoraC2; 08-03-2019, 08:02 PM.
                  2020 C8 | 2LT | GKZ Torch Red | Z51 Performance Pckg | FE4 Mag Ride | J6F Red Caliper | C2Z Carbon Roof | AE4 Competition Seats | FA5 Carbon Interior | E60 Front Lift | ZZ3 Engine Appearance Pckg | 5ZU High Wing Spoiler | SPY Black Lug Nuts

Comment

Originally posted by ZoraC2 View Post
                    Another aspect to consider with the High Wing is that you will be lifting the roof panel a little higher to clear the wing when stowing it. Shouldn’t be too bad. However, lifting a heavier, larger golf bag out and making sure you clear the high wing without scratching it is something for the avid golfers to consider.

I personally will get the High Wing 5ZU in Torch Red to Match the Body Color.
                    I suspect the wing should be mounted on the trunk lid, there is not much space behind it anyway. My Fiero GT had the wing mounted on the trunk lid, and it made no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
                      I suspect the wing should be mounted on the trunk lid,
                      No, it's clearly shown to mount on the rear fascia and therefore will stay put while the deck lid is opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

No, it's clearly shown to mount on the rear fascia and therefore will stay put while the deck lid is opened.
                        he is planning on an aftermarket wing, so hopefully he can find on that goes on the trunk. and hopefully he isn't getting the Z51 package or there is a wing/spoiler delete option so he doesn't have holes in his rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                          As for the view past the wing:

I've driven a couple of different cars that have a wing or other object bifurcating the view out the back. I think you'll learn to ignore it very quickly. It just becomes invisible to your brain after a while, the way you don't really notice eyeglass frames when you're used to wearing glasses.
                          I'm mildly concerned about the high wing. I love how it looks, but I'm planning on getting a vert and I'm thinking no camera when the top is down. It also could be in the way of the camera when the top is up. It doesn't seem to be quite high enough to look under.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

he is planning on an aftermarket wing, so hopefully he can find on that goes on the trunk. and hopefully he isn't getting the Z51 package or there is a wing/spoiler delete option so he doesn't have holes in his rear end.
                            As Harlan told us at the reveal, the Z-51 is properly balanced as a complete package, and to offer a spoiler delete would upset the car’s balance and performance. There is no spoiler delete.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

I'm mildly concerned about the high wing. I love how it looks, but I'm planning on getting a vert and I'm thinking no camera when the top is down. It also could be in the way of the camera when the top is up. It doesn't seem to be quite high enough to look under.
                              Good questions, and somethings we will not learn about until after the HT convertible is revealed. That is at least two months from now.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X