Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Whats the one aspect of corvette going rear mid engine that intrigues you the most..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John
    replied
    Thank you very much Fasttoys! I look forward to my first drive in both a ME and also a vehicle with a DCT, both maybe not even occurring until I drive my ME away from the dealership.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttoys
    replied
    I actually look forward to driving a DCT with higher torque NA motor. Keeping fingers crossed for a Pushrod option.. It’s very difficult to find a ME with high torque that is naturally aspirated under 150k, I have owned many higher rev versions just looking for something different. The higher rev cars don’t get interesting until your bouncing them off the rev limiter at 7800 to 9000 RPM. It’s hard to explain the difference driving a ME verses a FE. I have driven and owned so many ME cars over the years none of them felt the same other than being more special compared to my FE cars. Some of them manuals, DCT and single clutch paddle shift cars. I always felt more confident and connected to my ME cars like they are dialed in to the driver, it’s hard to explain. My ME cars. R8; Alfa 4C, McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche Cayman S/GTS/GT & Box, Lotus Evora GT, MR2 1st and 2nd gen. I can’t wait for the Corvette ME and to feel the personality of the car and what the Corvette team envisioned.

I said this many times with the Corvette moving to a DCT it’s very important for the team to get the gearing and software dialed in correctly. Steering feel is very important as for Mid-engines have a tendency to feel a little lighter under the front wheels with some being slightly bouncy in the front in certain driving situations. I thought the McLaren 570s was under-tired and to light in the front, I was not as confident as with other various models they produced. That’s all I got, just impatiently waiting.
    Last edited by Fasttoys; 08-24-2018, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LightningBolt
    replied
    Forward visibility and outstanding handling.
    A DCT is just an auto to me. I'm going to miss the M7.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    GM does an excellent job of integrating postive safety nannies to help someone who otherwise would have been a moderate amount over the limit, might have wrecked their Corvette, and perhaps injured themselves and others, but as Tadge noted, and I am re-phrasing what he said, “we can’t fix stupid.”

What he actually said was far more PC, and was that “if someone enters a corner out of control, the car’s safety systems will not compensate for it defying the laws of physics.”
    Last edited by John; 08-23-2018, 07:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    I would suspect that with PTM which is an evolution of active handling competition mode etc the concern for spinning out of control even for novice drivers the c8 will be able to stay on line and in control

The technology is so advanced today that rear mid engine will mot require the manufacturers to dial in so much understeer to keep the vehicle safe...

all the benefits and none of the problems is my expectation even at or near the limit of adhesion.

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    Originally posted by 91ZR1 View Post
    Polar moment of inertia is much greater. Taking a corner too fast, panicking, and lifting suddenly will result in a spin.
    Other than that (mistake) it’s all good! ?
    We need to look at the final design ,PMOI may be less . Most weight is still contained between the wheel base.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Thanks 91ZR1. I will definitelvey keep that in mind!

Leave a comment:

• 91ZR1
    replied
    Polar moment of inertia is much greater. Taking a corner too fast, panicking, and lifting suddenly will result in a spin.
    Other than that (mistake) it’s all good! ?

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    John, some thoughts of mine about driving a midengined car. Most all of the midengine cars I owned were full out race cars. When set up correctly, for each track, understeer can be reduced safely, I would venture to say that if you trail brake into a corner and keep the weight on the outside front tire, the car will rotate nicely,pointing the nose to the apex. So , front tire planted, rear rotating the car. As you get near the axpex, add throttle ( transfer weight to the rear) to stop the rear rotation, and start adding more throttle as you pass the apex, the extra rear traction will allow for more exit speed, and the weight reduction of the front tire will allow it to understeer slightly,helping to point the car straight..
    My opinion,, me will have more traction because of the static rear weight, and higher % weight transfer to the rear tires. This area is where ME is superior to a FE car. Remember, this is a Mid engine car, not like a Porsche 911 which was a rear engined car and early models of it had a nasty habit of snap oversteer if you got off the throttle in a corner. The Mid engines cars we raced were tuned to allow rear trailing throttle oversteer, but not anything near a snap oversteer. Anyway, just my thoughts,,,,, devil is in the details.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    We could do what has been done before, get a class group, in this case with all MECF members.

Leave a comment:

• Foreverfuelie
    replied
    I certainly hope you are 100% on the SMMP. I blew it big time not taking advantage of this great opportunity with the purchase of my C7. Everyone I have spoken to that did attend, had nothing but extremely high praise for the instruction, facility, and overall experience. If the GM price reduction is again offered with the C8, I’m all in!

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Thank you Racer86! For those of us who have never driven, let alone owned a mid engined car, glad we have smart folks like you and others to help us newbies learn in advance about the transition from an FE to a ME. While I do not think it is going to be hard to make (I have 2,000,000 miles since my last chargeable accident when I was 17 years old), it is sure going to be different.

My plan, and I am interested in what ME experienced drivers think about it, is to drive my ME for a couple of months just primarily doing daily driving, to the point that each lever/dial/switch/function’s use is instinctive, then start having progressive fun on my 38 miles, very isolated, curvy country corners road, slowly building up confidence and speed. Becoming instinctive with turn in is going to be the primary difference — at least what I am now thinking.

Then, I will be heading to Spring Mountain Motorsports Park (SMMP) for formal track time. While we do not of course have GM confirmation that, just like they did with all new C7 buyers getting a price reduction from $2,500+ to $1,000 for two days of “SMMP Corvette Owners” track school,” that this program will continue (hell GM doesn’t even acknowledge we are going to have a ME engine Corvette ever), but I believe at the 99% confidence level, it will again be offered.

Any thoughts from you ME experienced drivers please?

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    Originally posted by JBsC6 View Post
    For many it will be the exotic car look.

while others it will be the imoroved braking with its rear weight bias.

For some it will be tha ability to get the power down slightly better coming out of corners on a track but also the road...to a degree..(again die to the rear weight bias and weight transfer)

maybe its the improved paint quality compared to pre 2018 models?

the supposedly even more greatly improved interior...

could ge the final addition to have a DCT gearbox?

will it be the pricing compared to ferraris, lamborghinis, mclarens and even oorsches?

believe it or not i think its going to be the immediacy of the tight turn in amd view down the hood.

im a huge fan of great close sightlines out the front windshield

it makes me a better auto x driver...and offers a more formula one tyoe driving perspective even on the street...

all the attributes ive mentioned aboive are additional reasons of why i crave a c8but that perspective shift from the already impressive corvettes such as the c7 performance attributes...

i really believe that driver perspective and view of the road will be the most often reason previous generation corvette owners go for the addition of a c8 in their personal sports car lineup...

Yes all of the above, plus its cool. It will be the 8 th midengined car I have owned

Leave a comment:

• Foreverfuelie
    replied
    Fasttoys nailed it! Visibility! Not only for the driver friendly 180 degree view of the road but what others are going to see coming down the road. No amount of explanation will suffice to those who have never driven/had a mid engine sport car. Cool.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttoys
    replied
    Short front hood, the forward visibility of an ME verses a FE is so different. I love having the engine behind me, the sound the balance IMO more rewarding driving experience.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X