First impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions

I just came from Bridgewater Chevrolet, where the Sebring Orange C8 is on display until 8 tonight. There was a big crowd of people, they were allowed to touch the car and sit in it, there was a line to sit in the driver's seat, not so much of a line to sit in the passenger seat, which I recommend, because you can take your time and get a good look without anyone crowding you. I got a good look at the dash and the buttons, but could not find a power outlet for my radar detector. There are what seemed to be at first glance, random toggle switches on the dashboard, these open and close the vents . There is something that looks like a mouse by your right hand, it is a wrist rest covering the control for the magnetic suspension. I'm not sure what it does if you don't have the magnetic suspension.
    This car had the optional air dam on the front, which drops the clearance by well over an inch. That may be the reason they made a front-end lift available, with the air dam the car really is too low. I learned that even the stock exhaust has adjustable baffles, but they are automatic and do not have the range of the custom exhaust. This car is pretty well loaded, even with the LEDs on the engine. I'm not sure I've seen a picture of the car in stock form. I'd like to see a picture of what I'm getting, with no options. To my eye, the car looks a little busy when it has all the optional body work installed. I am completely stoked by my first impression, I am convinced that I am pretty much buying a Ford GT for $60,000.
    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

We got the answer today that the power outlet is below the glove box.
    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

The "automatic" valves are most likely the AFM valves that activate when the engine goes into 4 cylinder mode. The C7 has them, too. They keep the car from sounding like a a Honda Civic with a fart can exhaust in 4 cyl mode.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I was there around 3:30ish, I guess I should have asked if anyone else was hitting this event up. The car was truly amazing and has to be the sport car bargain of the century!
        2020 C8 | 2LT | GKZ Torch Red | Z51 Performance Pckg | FE4 Mag Ride | J6F Red Caliper | C2Z Carbon Roof | AE4 Competition Seats | FA5 Carbon Interior | E60 Front Lift | ZZ3 Engine Appearance Pckg | 5ZU High Wing Spoiler | SPY Black Lug Nuts | 5JR Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | VQK Front/Rear Splash Guards | RCC Red Engine Cover

Comment

Here is a quote describing the difference between the Z51 and the grey base model that were both on display at the Concours d'Elegance. This sums up my feelings exactly, the reason I ordered a C8 with no options.
          "The grey C8 outside was more to our liking than the hot red Z51-packaged ‘Vette on the inside of the building. There’s a level of simplicity and cleanliness to the design when the multi-tiered rear wing and glossy black wheels are eliminated. The lines flow more smoothly throughout the car’s entire silhouette, and the understated look feels more appropriate amidst the utterly gorgeous range of cars on display around it at the Concours."

Comment

That's how I felt about the C7 (base vs. spoilered Z51). From photos, still not sure about the wingless vs. Z51 spoiler C8, but I'll get to see them in person before I decide since I won't be buying in year one. Fortunately, you don't have to get black wheels with the Z51.
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

I can't say since I haven't seen the wingless version, but I think once you are accustomed to a certain appearance and things you like (examples such as spoilers, front lips, carbon fiber, blacked out parts), it's hard to go back to basics and appreciate it for what it is. I plan on adding everything I like that I can afford because it's what "grabs" me and that's the experience that makes it unique for each person.

Comment

Originally posted by brad66 View Post
                We got the answer today that the power outlet is below the glove box.
                I guess I'll need an extra cord...Are you listening VALENTINE ONE?

Comment

Originally posted by WWR View Post

Any 4 conductor phone cord will work. Just make sure it's 4 conductor, as some of the cheap ones are only 2.

Comment

Isnt there a company that sells a 15 dollar wire that goes from the mirror to the radar detector.

will the blendmount from previous corvette generations work on the c8? Or do we need a new one from that company...

i prefer the solid blemdmount and hard wire from the rear view mirror.

tia

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Isnt there a company that sells a 15 dollar wire that goes from the mirror to the radar detector.

will the blendmount from previous corvette generations work on the c8? Or do we need a new one from that company...

i prefer the solid blemdmount and hard wire from the rear view mirror.

tia
                      IF that's still possible on the C8. We don't yet know if there will be a 12 volt wire up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jljordann922 View Post
                        I can't say since I haven't seen the wingless version, but I think once you are accustomed to a certain appearance and things you like (examples such as spoilers, front lips, carbon fiber, blacked out parts), it's hard to go back to basics and appreciate it for what it is. I plan on adding everything I like that I can afford because it's what "grabs" me and that's the experience that makes it unique for each person.
                        We have a 2015 Z06, with all its factory sticking out aero appendages and a couple more added. However, as much as we still have a crush on ours, I think from a purely aesthetic point of view, the entry C7 Stingray, without its sticking our aero pieces, is a more beautiful, purer, artistic design. I also have the parallel thinking’s bout an entry C8, that it too is a purer, more beautiful design.

But in spite of that, I will go heavy on C8 aero pieces, get the Z51, add in the ground effects, the high wing and more than that.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Do Ferrari or Lamborghini owners have the option of adding aero pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by WWR View Post

I am not sure what is going on with Valentine One. While their web site shows they are still selling accessories, actual radar detectors have been "temporarily out of stock" for months.

Comment

I'll have to wait until one of the C8's come close to town. The configurator is a great way to loose sleep in the mean time.
                              https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
                              Vin # 2539
                              Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X