C8’s Wireless Phone Charging Capability and Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8’s Wireless Phone Charging Capability and Location

Look what new “problem” my upcoming C8 brought LOL.

Great picture of the C8’s phone charging location at the bottom of the coupe’s waterfall; quality picture of its location thanks to “C84me!”

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D7AFDF0-A717-4AB1-89F0-AED53803ADB8.jpeg
Views:	2340
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	54061

Wonderful feature, but **** I am need to get a new phone (great excuse actually), or??

Please see another, far cheaper option below..

[Quote=zendure]What are Qi Wireless Charging Phones?

As it is mentioned above, not all the phones are available for Qi wireless charging, and if you use a wireless charger to charge an incompatible phone, it is useless. Thus, we need to know some basic products that support Qi wireless charging. Here is a list:
    • Apple iPhone: 8, 8 Plus, X
    • Samsung Galaxy: S9, S9+, Note 5, Note 8, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Active S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge
    • LG: V30, G6 (US version only), G4 (optional), G3 (optional)
    • Microsoft Lumia: 1520, 1020, 930, 929, 928, 920
    • Google Nexus: 4, 5, 6, 7 (2013)
    • BlackBerry: Priv, Z30
    • Motorola: Droid Maxx, Droid Mini, Droid Turbo, Droid Turbo 2, Moto X Force
    • Nokia Lumia: 735, 830,920,928,929 / Icon,930,1520
    • Asus Padfone S[/Quote
    https://zendure.com/blogs/news/what-...harging-phones

OR, get an aftermarket Qi adapter such as this one I quickly found for $13 at Amazon for my iPhone 7 — with adapter for many other phones available there and many other places. There went my new phone purchase excuse LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-Wirel...e%2C233&sr=1-3

See, C8’s do not bring any insurmountable problems (other than why can I not be driving mine this weekend).

​​​​Thanks for noticing the ghosted C8 emblem in the speaker grille.

Last edited by John; 07-31-2019, 06:28 AM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Will it have wireless Apple CarPlay? I never saw a definitive answer on this. Wireless charging is not much good without wireless connection as well.

Comment

We know is has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but not yet do we definitively know the answer to your question. I will reach out now and see if we could learn that.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

No wonder Apple's stock is going up, they have the first $80,000 cell phone!
        2022 HTC on order with 2LT, front lift, msrc, npp, elb with two tone seats, and CF int. Pre halloween delivery??

Comment

Here are the definitive answers we have been looking for thanks to Harlan just getting back to me. Side note, we are so fortunate to have the incredible friendliness, the incredible accessibility, and the incredible communications with the top members of the Corvette team. Try to get 15 minute answers from Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari — that is if you ever knew whom to contact and if they ever got back to you.

Originally posted by Harlan
          Apple Car Play and Android Auto is standard with no required subscription but does require a wired connection.

There are 2 USB connections in the center console storage.

Comment

Wired connection is a requirement from Apple and Google for a number of technical reasons.
            Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark. Good to have smart people here. I am good with “plug tab A into slot B.” Laughing at myself further, for i have never used either Apple CarPlay nor Android Auto (do not even know what it gives you).

Guess I will need to step it up real soon (well first quarter of 2020). First step for me will be to learn how to properly drive a ME and use a DCT. This dinosaur is not going to become extinct.

Comment

Harlan is a cool guy to send you that information for this forum.

good will is part of the corvette team ethics whenever possible.

At 60 years old I don't even know what apple car play is and I probably could google it in about 2 seconds but I dont even care.

i dont talk on the phone when driving and I dont use anything but the radio. In my present corvette especially with the roof off all the time everyone says they cant hear me...so I pretty much gave up using the phone while driving. I remember that onstar computer always getting the last digit of the phone numbers wrong ...used to drive me crazy so I cancelled that service too..

i do like to charge the phone while driving though...so I am glad that information has been brought to the forum...

thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by mjw930 View Post
                  Wired connection is a requirement from Apple and Google for a number of technical reasons.
                  I am not sure I understand why a 'wired' connection is a requirement. My new BMW has wireless charging and Apple Play that works perfectly without any need for a wired connection for our iphone, and similarly my Samsung works wirelessly. Related, while I never thought 'wireless' charging would be that useful in a car, it is very handy to have if you are using Google Maps for example, in your car.
                  Last edited by [email protected]; 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM.
                  Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
                  Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
                  Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
                  blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

John,

I believe you brought up an interesting fact on another thread about the wireless charging....... depending on what type of phone case you have, it may not wireless charge. HUMMMMMM...... my wife's iPhone is an 8 but has a fairly thin protective LifeProof case on it. Perhaps it will work. I'm still on a 6s iPhone, so I'm out of luck until I upgrade.
                    3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon fiber mirrors and spoiler. Carbon Fiber: door handles & boomerangs, Rear Diffuser with vertical diffuser fins, Rear Hatch Vents, engine bay surround pieces, and front grill trim.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      i have never used either Apple CarPlay nor Android Auto (do not even know what it gives you).
                      Pretty simple, it just emulates your iPhone on the touch screen display in the car. So all your phone apps are there etc. In a nutshell it makes the touchscreen in the car a big version of your phone. It doesn't need to be wired for that though, Bluetooth does it.

Comment

There are now a few aftermarket head units that support wireless Android Auto. Battery drain is apparently pretty horrific, though. But the built-in Qi charging pad would remedy that.
                        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Thanks for confirming my suspicion on that.

I'm an avid Android Auto user (love it), but I also like the idea of placing the phone "out of the way" in the wireless charging dock when driving.

So, I may run a short USB cable from a center console port back to the wireless charging dock, allowing for Android Auto connectivity, and just leave the phone there while driving.
                          My C8:
                          '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                          '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Can you clarify what you mean? It may be a requirement for specific cars but there are versions of Apple CarPlay that work without plugging the phone into the device. That is referred to as wireless Apple CarPlay.

Most people just think of phone connections for voice calls but CarPlay offers so much more than that.

For instance the GPS navigation on your phone can do traffic, police locations, and road hazards. It also can have map updates in real-time without any additional cost.

It offers text to speech and speech to text capabilities for texting.

I highly suggest everyone at least try Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. They really are amazing technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              Here are the definitive answers we have been looking for thanks to Harlan just getting back to me. Side note, we are so fortunate to have the incredible friendliness, the incredible accessibility, and the incredible communications with the top members of the Corvette team. Try to get 15 minute answers from Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari — that is if you ever knew whom to contact and if they ever got back to you.
                              Thank you and Harlan for the response. That is disappointing but you can’t have everything, right?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X