MT Coupe or HT ‘Vert For You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT Coupe or HT ‘Vert For You

Given the following facts and assumptions, would you choose a ME coupe or an ME hardtop convertible?

Facts (at the 95% confidence level):

1) The 2020 ME will have a removable coupe version (that one is actually 100% confirmed);

2) There will also be a 2020 HT convertible;

3) The 2020 HT ‘vert will not come in a soft top version;

4) Ferrari charges +$27K for some of its Spyder, and most other exotics charge typically +$15K.

Assumptions: For this thread, please assume:

1) The 2020 ME with no options would about what a mid-range GS costs (MSRP), e.g., about $75K.

2) The Corvette HT would optionally cost in the $6-8K extra range;

3) The Corvette HT would be revealed in Geneva, and start production three months later than the coupe.

4) GM has accurately estimated the “take rate” for both, so that neither’s production schedule would be further delayed by constraints.

Which one would you get? If this would be different from your past Corvette purchasing history, please share why. However, if you would need additional information to make your decision, what would that be?
    Last edited by John; 08-19-2018, 08:12 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

After 48 straight non-convertible vehicles for us, it would be highly tempting for us to get a HT convertible. However, given the above assumptions, and our desire to drive our ME cross country next August on the National Corvette Caravan, we would get a 2020 ME coupe.

However, if the assumption of a delay in HT production is wrong, and both versions would be made at the same time, it would excitedly be a HT convertible for us.
    Last edited by John; 08-19-2018, 08:14 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Wow 48 straight , thats a lot of cars John !!!
      A thought if I might ...

Comment

Depends what the two look like. I dont expect the price differential to be more than 7500dollars but i think ill probably go for the lift off manual targa roof.

im used to lifting it off and i like the compliments of the car

Comment

JBsC6,
          As of now I'm going to have to agree with you , but I can't really be positive until I see them both .
          A thought if I might ...

Comment

ME coupe for me, It is way to hot in Texas and all my previous conv had the top up 90% of the time

Comment

I'm not sure I really want the ME at all, yet. But I would probably bite the bullet and get the HT 'vert at a delta of $8K. I spent $5K to get the 'vert on my C7, and what's an extra $3K among friends? I really, really enjoy driving top down. And I'm sure Mike Furman will give me a good deal. Right, Mike? Mike?
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Coupe for me, I've had four corvettes (3 T Tops, 1 Targa and a FRC Z06). I never liked the look of convertibles with the top up. The HT may change that opinion, but for now it's a coupe.

Comment

Definitely HT Convertible, Have had many soft tops and do not care for them they always have issues. I have absolutely loved all of my HT Convertibles. They will always look new and never have to be replaced. They always hold a better resale value as well. Simple to put down and up. Hopefully they will incorporate a SMART TOP which will put itself up if it starts raining and rolls up the windows if your not around.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

I'd never owned a convertible before I bought a C6 GS convertible a couple of years ago. Both wife and I love it. So much so that she wants her own small convertible next time so I'm looking for something for her.

So for us there's no question that our new Corvette has to be a convertible.
                    2020 C8 Corvette
                    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                    2LT, Z51 + MRC
                    Spectra Grey Tridents
                    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

It will be a HT Convertible for me, unless there are some appearance aspects that cause me to go for the Coupe.

All my past Corvettes have been convertibles, and I'd hate to break that trend.
                      My C8:
                      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

I'm a convertible guy, just because I can put the top down if I want too!!!

Comment

I've had 4 new Corvettes. All coupes. That said, if the HT convertible ME is smoking hot aesthetically, it would be the first vert vette I might consider. So basically, still leaning coupe, but willing to see what the HT vert looks like.

Comment

I am betting that they are both smoking hot — and you are going to have to buy one of each.

Comment

I've managed to sneak a couple Italian shotguns into the house and into one of the gun safes before the Misses noticed them. I'm betting she'd notice the 2nd ME in the garage, though. . . .

She's actually been very cool with all my hobbies, Vettes included. I got pretty darned lucky when she said "yes"; she's a keeper.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X