MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Ken Lingenfelter On Now

Steve Garrett talks with the Legendary Ken Lingenfelter…His Life, company,car collection, business “Lingenfelter Performance and Engineering,” and Ken’s passion for Corvette and how it all started! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...lection-ehf6n5 The guys also talk extensively about "The Lingenfelter Collection".  Ken's car collection totals over 250 cars-30% exotics, 30% muscle cars and the rest are Corvettes!  Ken guides us through the collection, which includes Corvettes owned by Zora Arkus-Duntov, a Bugatti Veyron, a Ferrari LaFerrari and a Lamborghini Reventón. You'll be amazed to learn about Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, The Lingenfelter Collection and the man himself on CORVETTE TODAY
See more
See less

The difference in HOME pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference in HOME pictures

The top large picture of the yellow ME shows what looks like an air exit vent in the fender in front of the door near the rear view mirror. The 2 smaller pictures show a yellow MR with out the vent. Does anyone know the significance of the difference? My guess is the vent is for the screaming 4 cam that might come with more goodies like the Z06 over the Stingray. This might mean the 4 cam might be here sooner than currently expected!

These are just artists renderings, based on spy shots and leaked info, not actual pictures of the real car. No one outside of GM and its suppliers probably knows for sure if there will be vents in that location, or if they will be shaped as shown in the renders. Based on what we've seen, I think the renders are very, very close to the actual car, but probably not correct in all the small details.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Not quite sure what is being discussed here without seeing the photos..

any suggestion where we might be able to see the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by JBsC6 View Post
        Not quite sure what is being discussed here without seeing the photos..

any suggestion where we might be able to see the photos.
        I think the OP is referring to the main forum header (FVS) image and to the acscomposite.com banner ad image.
        1999 Coupe - Black
        2002 Coupe - Millennium Yellow
        2008 Jaguar XKR - Liquid Silver

Comment

Here are the two ACS Composite images. THANK YOU ACS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20F7418B-1DE9-4ADE-9DFE-AC28AC5EAFC4.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	5134

Name:	B5F09BEA-487B-433E-934F-BA6EB43373B3.jpeg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	5135

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks for posting up. Now i understand the discussion.

i agree it looks as if the higher performance versions will have those front fender vents and wider front fenders while the standard model will have a slightly narrower front end and narrower wheels and tires.

you guys are right on this.

Comment

Let’s see what we can learn from other mid engine cars about their tires and wheels, for that could help us in determining whether the ME’s front fenders would need to be wider for a high perf Corvette mid engine version.

Here is what I learned.

NOTE:Every 2019 Corvette, regardless of “entry” or ZR1, runs 19” F/20” R

Tire Size /Wheel Diameter for Common ME’s (F/R)

Audi R8: 235/35/R19; 295/30/R19

Audi R8/V10: 245/35/R19; 295/30/R19 [Opt. R = 305/30R20]

Ferrari 488 GTB: 245/35R20; 305R30/R20

Ferrari Pista (712 HP): 245/35R20; 305/30/R20

Ford GT: 245/35/R20; 325/30/R20

Lambo Huracan: 245/30/R20; 305/30/R20

McLaren 570: 225/35/R19; 285/35/R20

McLaren 650: 235/35/R19; 305/30/R19

McLaren 720: 245/35/R19; 305/30/R20

Porsche GT3: 245/35/R20; 305/30/R20

Porsche 911S: 245/35/R20; 305/30/R20

Looking at the above information, again with the exception of the bigger and heavy V12 Lamborghinis, the narrowest tire size to the widest tire size for the most powerful versions of the same brand are no more of a difference than 10mm in width. [Exception: Ford GT rear tire width.]

The front tire size of the base 2020 ME is 245MM, as shown in the below tire picture taken of a ME IVERs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1DA3350F-EFFF-4894-9D00-7B36E469B86E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	297.9 KB ID:	5139

Could the Z06, ZR1/ZORA version have a larger front tire? Sure could but based on the above, it is unlikely that it is going that same or a max of 10 MM wider.

At $1,000,000 for the mold for the front fascia, and also $1M more for the mold for each of the front fenders (thanks to Skank for investigating and finding this out) would GM want to spend the additional $2M for wider front fenders if they could, with offset or other factors, avoid the need to have wider front fenders for the HP versions the ME?

I am not saying that the front fascias of the higher powered ME’s wouldn’t be different, just pointing to other exotic brand to show it is not a given for the front fenders need to be wider for the HP ME versions due to tire width.
              Last edited by John; 08-20-2018, 09:49 PM.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

BTW, the rear tire/wheel size for the 2020 ME is: 305/30/ZR20

Name:	E8AF0F08-BCD9-493C-B89B-32E81D2A81A5.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	5143

Comment

Those rubbers should hold their own very well with the base ME at around 500HP.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

I believe that OP is just looking at two different generations of renderings - one is before C8-R, and the vented version was done after the C8-R spy shots came out.

Possibly the C8-R is a widebody version of the car and the fenders may not reflect the road version. We don't know.

My only comment would be that with the substantial front openings, there has to be some way for the air to properly escape. Either a hood duct or fender vents or both make some sense.

2020 C8 Corvette
                    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                    2LT, Z51 + MRC
                    Spectra Grey Tridents
                    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

So true, for front end uplift results in the opposite of good handling.

There can be two ways to avoid front end uplift that still results in a hood without vents (a practice used by Lambo’s and some others). First, there is a almost side to side air gap underneath the hood but above the windshield cowl, e.g., not seen, yet venting air.

Second, have a continuous ducting that leads inside the fenders,through the doors, and continues out of sight to the rear. A variation of this theme is the McLaren 720S which uses a vent inside its headlight bucket that leads air rearward. When we first saw this Corvette ME Mule, this wasmany folks’ first thought.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DCF94962-DC53-4589-8C90-4E53F361DC5D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	550.3 KB ID:	5169

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, there's a spy shot someone zoomed in on and enhanced that shows a duct in the front wheel well in front of the wheel. Let me see if I can find it.
                        1999 Coupe - Black

Comment

Hmmm. I couldn't find that particular picture. Maybe someone else has seen it.
                          1999 Coupe - Black

Comment

I have over 800 ME pictures alone, and while I did not find it the first time, your mentioning “zooming in” got me to this one.

Is this it?

Name:	B3C5525D-CB94-420E-A357-3B77D36EDD26.png
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	5226

Last edited by John; 08-19-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Thanks!
                              1999 Coupe - Black

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X