Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

12v?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12v?

    So, did anyone find out if it still uses 12V, or 48?

  • #2
    It is GM's new proprietary 48V system.

    Comment


    • #3
      Agreed. And Encrypted!
      Lord Help Me Be The Person My Dog Thinks I Am.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ltomn View Post
        It is GM's new proprietary 48V system.
        They never said that. They referred to the new GM Digital Vehicle Platform, but I've seen nothing that says that uses a 48 volt system.

        https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...0-digital.html

        https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/22/...-platform-ota/

        https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...w-ota-updates/

        Not one word about this being a 48 volt system. DVP is all about processing and network speed, which doesn't necessarily require higher voltage. Most of what's in your computer operates at 5 volts or less.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

        Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

        Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

        Never grow up - It's a trap.

        Comment


        • #5
          I was thinking, if they had changed, they would mention it, and sell it as an improvement.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's GM's 48/12V system done by Continental. Heard from sitting next to man, while on a trip to Minneapolis, that worked on it on. So many of the accoutrements are electrical and need to react very quickly. It's about the speed of the electrical actuators to integrate systems simultaneously! The only system on the C8 that is not electric is the hydraulic brakes due to safety issues. Not to mention they don't require the same "high speed reactions." All of the magnetic mounts, drive system, steering, suspension and numerous other items are configured to work together! Next gen Chevrolet Volt (if that's what it's called) is going to this system as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ltomn View Post
              It's GM's 48/12V system done by Continental. Heard from sitting next to man, while on a trip to Minneapolis, that worked on it on. So many of the accoutrements are electrical and need to react very quickly. It's about the speed of the electrical actuators to integrate systems simultaneously! The only system on the C8 that is not electric is the hydraulic brakes due to safety issues. Not to mention they don't require the same "high speed reactions." All of the magnetic mounts, drive system, steering, suspension and numerous other items are configured to work together! Next gen Chevrolet Volt (if that's what it's called) is going to this system as well.
              Is this for real? I haven't seen it anywhere confirmed?
              Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

              Comment


              • #8
                I find it hard to believe GM wouldn't have mentioned this if it were true, but none of us know for sure.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

                Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

                Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

                Never grow up - It's a trap.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Very basic questions......

                  What is the voltage of its battery? What voltage goes to the starter motor?

                  As for speed of actuation, all electricity impulse travels at the same speed, regardless of voltage. 186,000 miles per second. Though the actual electrons travel much slower.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                    Very basic questions......

                    What is the voltage of its battery? What voltage goes to the starter motor?

                    As for speed of actuation, all electricity impulse travels at the same speed, regardless of voltage. 186,000 miles per second. Though the actual electrons travel much slower.
                    So what do you think Rob? 12V or 48V or combination of both?
                    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

                      So what do you think Rob? 12V or 48V or combination of both?
                      The advantage of a higher voltage is that, for the same power delivery, current can be less, meaning thinner, more flexible wires. I think the main electrical system, as we know it, will remain 12v, but 48 volts could be used for some servo motors or other applications only needed when the engine is running. Such as, an electric water pump?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't think I missed anything as far as official info goes on the electrical system. Possibly someone will chime in if there is anything official.
                        Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was the one talking to the young Electrical Engineer that works for Bosch on the flight back to Minneapolis. He told me that Bosch, Continental, and a few others bid on the new 48/12 volt system for the C8. He commented that Continental received the bid that will develop the system for the C8 plus the new replacement electric car that will replace the Volt and Bolt cars. Ultimately all GM vehicles will be using this new format. Since the new C8 is using Magnetorheological coil overs, MR engine mounts, and many other fast reacting electrically actuated components, it only makes sense to change over now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            He also told me that ZF/ Lemforder has the top chassis and suspension control systems that appears to be on the new ME.

                            Comment

                            MECF_728x90_bottom

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X