Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME Adaptive Instrument Panel

ME’s Adaptive Instrument Panel???

This refers to a patent that GM filed last year. It was found by a MECF forum member “jagamajajaran”, Jeremy Welborn, who sometimes reads the patents at the U.S. Patent and Trade Office to see which ones GM has filed that could well be part of the ME Corvette.

Thank you “little birdie” (a forum member who wishes to remain anonymous) for sharing this info with us, for if this is what we get our the ME, which I personally feel is likely, it would be really nice driving enhancement.

Issue/Problem: A steering wheel has spokes and unless one is going exactly straight ahead, as you turn the wheel, one or more spokes could occlude what instrument you are looking for.

Solution: Have the instrument panel gauges, which are designed to give you full visibility when you are going straight ahead, instead just like some car’s moving headlights when you are making a turn, how about if your displayed instruments on your actual cluster in front of you, rotate exacting with the amount of your turn, so your steering wheel’s spokes do not occlude what instrument you could be looking for.

GM describes this patent as for “an instrument panel cluster for a vehicle accurately repositions during driving so that at least one or more depicted instruments remain visible at most steering angles. The instrument cluster may include an electronic display on which one or more instruments are depicted during vehicle operation. An instrument cluster controller receives data representative of the steering wheel angle, and responsive thereto repositions the representative instruments on the electronic display so that at least one instrument remains viewable within an opening formed within the steering wheel.”

Click image for larger version

Name:	0679AEDE-A6D3-48BD-96B4-121D2591562E.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	731.7 KB
ID:	39301

Click image for larger version  Name:	689BD12D-4751-493E-AE63-FF88BBA10105.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	658.3 KB ID:	39300
    Click image for larger version  Name:	F3A31F76-58C0-4CDD-80CA-8ABE4254D05C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	434.0 KB ID:	39299

Click image for larger version  Name:	A540BDAC-681F-4160-AD20-A04A650E09D0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	39297

Click image for larger version  Name:	5A9A0E90-F57A-42E2-9003-A68C11CD48C4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	39296

Click image for larger version  Name:	F6A9D6BF-1748-41F2-AD45-B735B62AFD2B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	39295

Last edited by John; 06-05-2019, 12:42 AM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I typically like straight forward analog gauges, however, I appreciate all of what is available on my C7's instrument panel. If this "adaptive" panel were to happen on the C8, I would hope that it would not negate the "Heads-Up Display"! After experiencing it on the C7, I would sadly miss "Heads-Up Display" if it were not available on the mid-engine Vette!
    GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

The HUD on the ME will continue, and if I were to guess, it will have even more info choices for us, be even better clarity.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Awesome technology!

Comment

I would love more HUD gauges personally.
          2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Bryan, your wish is GM’s command. GM has some great tech in this area, and first, I truly can not imagine that they are unaware of the need for a better HUD, and second that they will not pull this off.
            Last edited by John; 08-16-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I would really like the TURN SIGNALS in the HUD

Comment

Seems like the solution to a problem that doesn't really matter. I can't remember one time, in nearly 50 years of driving, thinking "Dang, that steering wheel spoke is blocking my view!"
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                  Seems like the solution to a problem that doesn't really matter. I can't remember one time, in nearly 50 years of driving, thinking "Dang, that steering wheel spoke is blocking my view!"
                  That's a really good point. I'm sure GM utilizes Human Factors engineers to consider how technology is utilized in the cockpit. But for me, if my steering wheel is turned, the spokes are merely blocking something I'm not looking at.
                  Vin # 2539
                  Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

Very interesting technology for sure. I'm not certain how useful I'd find it, but if I think about Apple's approach to innovation...
                    sometimes things are created that you never realized you couldn't live without!

Comment

Forums are about difference of opinions (and about learning and having fun). It is amazing how this Adaptive Instrument Cluster is universally not a desired “engineering advancement” but all who have responded Patents of course are not always implemented, but this one is clearly not a favorite of ours.

Wonder if this one just plain “dies” before implementation?

Comment

Like some of the other commentators, I think HUD enhancement(s) are a better path to providing more usable info to the driver.

Under hard cornering, I generally won't be looking down at the dash.
                        My C8:
                        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

I'd personally like to see the turn signals and windshield wiper switches on the steering wheel just so I can keep my hands on the wheel where they should be ...
                          Scott
                          A thought if I might ...

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                            It is amazing how this Adaptive Instrument Cluster is universally not a desired “engineering advancement” but all who have responded Patents of course are not always implemented, but this one is clearly not a favorite of ours.

Wonder if this one just plain “dies” before implementation?
                            This could also be a defensive patent or simply filed as the result of a couple of engineers working in the R&D department. When I started my career, I worked for a large engineering company that very routinely submitted patents for every technology even remotely related to our business. The engineers gained a level of status, and most importantly a check for a couple $K. Some guys had quite a side business going...

Vin # 2539
                            Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

Thanks LightningBolt. Two things, first that was a good reminder to many of us about “defensive patents.” Second, my your forum name could be an interesting one for the new ME.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X