GM Patent Filing Reveals New Corvette Active Aero Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Patent Filing Reveals New Corvette Active Aero Bits

Based on a series of patent filings from General Motors, the automaker is developing new active aerodynamic components for the Chevrolet Corvette, including a new rear wing, side skirts and unique ductwork in the front end and on the roof.

A great many modern performance cars rely on active aerodynamics to reach an optimal combination of drag coefficient and downforce, and it looks like the Chevrolet Corvette could soon offer new forms of active aero technology. General Motors has filed for three new patents with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and each of these items is display in the patent drawings on a C7 Corvette.

While it seems unlikely that the Corvette would get new technology like this so late in the life cycle of the C7 generation, the company could be using the current Chevy sports car to develop and protect these new features while planning to integrate them into the next generation Corvette.
    Based on a series of patent filings from General Motors, the automaker is developing new active aerodynamic components for the Chevrolet Corvette, including a new rear wing, side skirts and unique ductwork in the front end and on the roof.

Thank you Torque News. As C7 development is finished (per GM), and as postulated even when the Active Aero patents were filed on March 23, 2017, that the soonest we could see any of those components, I moved your article to our ME section.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

This information was first posted on the forum two days ago by Corvette Blogger.

Comment

Im just hopeful that regular street versions of the corvette c8 wont be saddled with huge airplane like spoilers like on the mighty zr1.

i realize that massive spoilers can serve purposes . I just dont want them on my potiential future sports car as mandatory.

active aero is a more integrated approach that allows for cleaner styling.

thanks for the heads up on what gm is doing,

gives us street performance guys hope we dont have to get huge wings and spoilers if we still want a higher performance version of the corvette..

I really dig underbody aerodynamics as ferrari has pioneered for quite a few years.

its extremely effective and for the most part out of sight...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
        Working...
        X