MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

C8 HT: Along Comes a Spyder

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    I have an Alfa Romeo 4C coupe with no backup camera and minimal rear visibility, and I have not had any problems. The C8, even in the convertible I’m getting, appears to have far more rear visibility. So camera or not I’m good.
    Current DD is 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE #016/500

    Comment


    • #77
      If you are like me and need reading classes to see inside of 24" the rear view mirror camera will be mostly useless to you. The change in depth of focus when you glance up into the mirror is annoying. 90+% of people will probably just keep it off most of the time.

      My '17 ZL1 Vert has 100% side/rear visibility with the top down and has no need for the rear view mirror camera. Even with the top up and the Camaro's infamous visibility issues (not all that different from the 4C from a side/rear point of view) it's not a problem. The C8 has Chevrolet's (GM's) blind spot detection AND rear cross traffic alert which are both EXCELLENT performers.

      PS - first post!
      Last edited by gunkk; 08-11-2019, 08:52 AM.

      Comment


      • #78
        Good points gunkk. Welcome to the forum. I solved the problem for me, but getting bi-focal prescription sunglasses classes. Has made my traveling in the car a pleasure. Not a cheap solution but I am thrilled to see everything well, both inside and out.

        And when I did, I found dashboard icons and tiny writing I had never noticed before (laughing at myself).
        Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by gunkk View Post
          The C8 has Chevrolet's (GM's) blind spot detection AND rear cross traffic alert which are both EXCELLENT performers.
          Welcome to the forum Gunkk! I've never used a blind spot detection system so I'm curious -- do you find it works well for smaller objects too like bicycles? In slow moving, crowded downtown traffic I'm always worried about bikes sneaking into my blind spot. So far I've depended on a shoulder check before making a right hand turn at an intersection. Do you find that GM's system works well in that situation too?

          Comment


          • #80
            I was driving my C7 'vert top down yesterday, and paid particular attention to the view in the rear view mirror, and what would be limited if I imagined the taller C8 buttresses where the small humps are on the C7. The answer, at least for my height and driving position, is not much.

            The buttress on the driver's side will be completely out of sight, not an issue at all. On the passenger side, the area immediately above, and then sloping down behind the exiting hump really isn't very large, nor very significant in terms of what you see there. Anything blocked by that little bit of plastic will be clearly visible in the outside mirror. I don't see an issue with the buttresses and rear view with the top down at all.

            I took a picture of the view in the rear view mirror. I'll try to photoshop an estimate of the buttress later today.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

            Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >33,000+ miles

            Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

            Comment


            • #81
              Really good analysis. I look forward to your photoshop estimate.
              Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                I was driving my C7 'vert top down yesterday, and paid particular attention to the view in the rear view mirror, and what would be limited if I imagined the taller C8 buttresses where the small humps are on the C7. The answer, at least for my height and driving position, is not much.

                The buttress on the driver's side will be completely out of sight, not an issue at all. On the passenger side, the area immediately above, and then sloping down behind the exiting hump really isn't very large, nor very significant in terms of what you see there. Anything blocked by that little bit of plastic will be clearly visible in the outside mirror. I don't see an issue with the buttresses and rear view with the top down at all.

                I took a picture of the view in the rear view mirror. I'll try to photoshop an estimate of the buttress later today.
                Well, the picture I took on Saturday wan't useful, because I held the phone so far from my face it didn't show a realistic view of what's in the rear view mirror. This one is a lot closer. In reality, my eyes see slightly more than what this image shows. I can see a very little bit of the passenger side "hump" behind the headrest. But this is close enough to get an idea.

                The yellow line marks the visible part of the passenger side headrest. The red lines my guess as to what the buttresses will look like. And the shaded area what you won't see. I'm sure I'm off some, but I think this indicates you really won't lose much.Also, the SUV that is being partially obscured is (a)actually two cars back - there's another car ahead of it about even with my rear fender. And BOTH are fully visible in the outside rear view mirror. I wish I had thought to include that in the photo. Even if the buttress blocks a little more than this, I don't see it as a real problem. We should all be using our outside mirrors, too.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	C7 rear view buttresses.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	970.9 KB
ID:	58716
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

                Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >33,000+ miles

                Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by John View Post
                  I respectfully disagree and here’s why. There is no room behind the seat for a vertically stored top unless they chop of 3” of seat travel (which we know they will not do). They certainly can not move the engine backwards for a 1,000 reasons, and lastly, one goes into the engine compartment, as I did at the reveal, and stuck my finger between the front of the block and the firewall, there is only 1/4” gap.

                  Bottom line, there is absolutely no place for a HT convertible top when in its lowered position other than flat on top of the motor. Other HT convertible exotics store their lowered tops on top of the motor without damage.

                  Lastly, the C8 HT convertible will not be revealed in September. Sorry.
                  Yes, true, due to the design. I agree- no space. It is the same for most exotics. I did plant the seed so we can only hope. It may not be in a C-8, but may be in a C-10.
                  I heard September for the HT Convertible a while back, but maybe not now.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Not far behind however.
                    Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by bpost22
                      No, it's a render done by one of our forum's contributors before the actual reveal. We now know there's not nearly enough room between the engine and firewall for the roof to drop into.
                      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

                      Purchased 5/2/2015,
                      >33,000+ miles

                      Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

                        Well, the picture I took on Saturday wan't useful, because I held the phone so far from my face it didn't show a realistic view of what's in the rear view mirror. This one is a lot closer. In reality, my eyes see slightly more than what this image shows. I can see a very little bit of the passenger side "hump" behind the headrest. But this is close enough to get an idea.

                        The yellow line marks the visible part of the passenger side headrest. The red lines my guess as to what the buttresses will look like. And the shaded area what you won't see. I'm sure I'm off some, but I think this indicates you really won't lose much.Also, the SUV that is being partially obscured is (a)actually two cars back - there's another car ahead of it about even with my rear fender. And BOTH are fully visible in the outside rear view mirror. I wish I had thought to include that in the photo. Even if the buttress blocks a little more than this, I don't see it as a real problem. We should all be using our outside mirrors, too.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	C7 rear view buttresses.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	970.9 KB
ID:	58716
                        Excellent analysis, picture and superimposed “shadows”. Thank you very much meyerweb.

                        Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Klinn View Post

                          Welcome to the forum Gunkk! I've never used a blind spot detection system so I'm curious -- do you find it works well for smaller objects too like bicycles? In slow moving, crowded downtown traffic I'm always worried about bikes sneaking into my blind spot. So far I've depended on a shoulder check before making a right hand turn at an intersection. Do you find that GM's system works well in that situation too?
                          I don't know about GM's system, but on wife's MB E450 just walking close will trigger a warning. I like it and the cross traffic alert when backing out of diagonal parking.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Klinn View Post
                            Welcome to the forum Gunkk! I've never used a blind spot detection system so I'm curious -- do you find it works well for smaller objects too like bicycles? In slow moving, crowded downtown traffic I'm always worried about bikes sneaking into my blind spot. So far I've depended on a shoulder check before making a right hand turn at an intersection. Do you find that GM's system works well in that situation too?
                            I live in suburban FL and don't ever get into NYC bike courier type situations. In two years I've driven the car 4 times with the top up (only when caught in rain). Thus I haven't encountered any blind spot bicycles despite living 1 mile from our local mennonite community (smart folks: they don't go out in rain).

                            The BSD and RCTA systems work great with vehicles, but are obviously going to be less sensitive with smaller objects like bikes and scooters. Keep your head on that swivel and you'll be fine.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Why the hard no on a September reveal John?

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                OK. It's been almost a month (although it doesn't seem like it) since the coupes reveal. When are we going to see the spyder?
                                Last edited by freeman1215; 08-17-2019, 11:44 PM.
                                Lord Help Me Be The Person My Dog Thinks I Am.

                                Comment

                                MECF_728x90_bottom

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X