X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • improviz
    Sr. Contributor
    • Sep 2020

(Now-ex)Ferrari owner: “GM really did make a better Ferrari!”

https://luxurylaunches.com/transport/sticky-button-replacement-cost-of-ferrari.php

Owning an exotic car is a very expensive affair, which is something that’s often overlooked by diehard car enthusiasts while buying their dream supercar. The sticker price of a high-performance automobile in most cases is just the tip of the iceberg; it costs a fortune to maintain these automotive beauties. And it’s not just limited to regular service bills or replacing crucial components. Even the smallest of issues can easily cost thousands of dollars to fix. A person by name of Jerry Mos recently posted about his ordeal on Facebook, talking about how it cost him close to $10,000 just to fix some malfunctioning buttons inside his Ferrari.

Image – Jerry Moss / Carscoops
    While Mos chose not to reveal the exact model in question, a picture of the cabin posted by him suggests that it’s a Ferrari F430. According to Mos, he couldn’t “anticipate what would go wrong next” and decided to sell his Ferrari. “I spent… 15k for replacing ceramic wheel bearings, 4k for fixing led markers that fall out, and on, and on,” he said. To prepare the car for sale, Mos thought it would be a good idea to fix some of the buttons inside the cabin that had become sticky and difficult to press. After consulting with the dealership, Mos learned that fixing the issue would require the replacement of those buttons, which turned out to be more expensive than anyone could anticipate. Image – Jerry Moss / Carscoops
    Mos posted a picture of the bill, revealing the details of the costly repair job amounting to a total of around $10,000. The bill shows a charge of $7,542 for the “refinishing of all interior pieces” along with $80.70 for “shipping of interior parts for refinishing” and $1,800 for all of the associated labor. In addition to fixing the sticky buttons, the Ferrari also required an engine carbon cleaning, installing a dead pedal, and a few other minor things. Mos also owns a 70th Anniversary Chevrolet Corvette Stingray with the 3LT package and claims that he’s so happy with the American mid-engine supercar that it influenced the sale of his Ferrari. “GM really did make a better Ferrari!” he wrote.​
  • John
    co-founder/admin
    • Jun 2018
    • PNW

Fun article. Thank you.

In as very similar vein, we have a MECF member who got tired of his massive bills, such as replacing clutches discs on his Ferrari for $16,000, and is now loving his C8 Stingray and is super excited about his upcoming Z06.
    2023 Z06: Elkhart Lake Blue, 2-tone blue interior, HTC, Standard Z06 with Z07 aero pkg, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, every visible carbon fiber option including wheels, & Jake Design Pkg. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 25 year NCM members. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• JB
      Senior Contributing Member & Patron
      • Jul 2018

Those exotics are beautiful yet the price and time to repair these types of items as well as serious mechanical issues that can crop up make the desire to own one of these disappear. At least for me. When rational people are afraid to use their cars for fear of cost of repair, maintenance or even depreciation that’s when you know vehicles like this really are for those with 8 figure liquid assets.

with less than 8 figure liquid assets I personally feel these preowned bargains can become in my opinion become burdens.

I admire the beauty, the passion yet corvette often offers that with equal or superior performance without the headaches or costs in time and energy much less aggravation.

I think it has to do with the very nature of limited production low volume models.

Sorry to say sometimes I wonder if the dohc flat plane crank of the z06 could offer similar situations over time. It’s such a low volume power plant what happens over time for replacement parts?

thanks for posting up.

Comment

• SheepDog
        Senior Contributor
        • Jul 2018

JB is Keeping it Real.
        But. Hurry up wit My Z GM.

Comment

• 3 Z06ZR1
          Sr. Contributor
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by improviz
          https://luxurylaunches.com/transport/sticky-button-replacement-cost-of-ferrari.php

Owning an exotic car is a very expensive affair, which is something that’s often overlooked by diehard car enthusiasts while buying their dream supercar. The sticker price of a high-performance automobile in most cases is just the tip of the iceberg; it costs a fortune to maintain these automotive beauties. And it’s not just limited to regular service bills or replacing crucial components. Even the smallest of issues can easily cost thousands of dollars to fix. A person by name of Jerry Mos recently posted about his ordeal on Facebook, talking about how it cost him close to $10,000 just to fix some malfunctioning buttons inside his Ferrari.

Image – Jerry Moss / Carscoops
          While Mos chose not to reveal the exact model in question, a picture of the cabin posted by him suggests that it’s a Ferrari F430. According to Mos, he couldn’t “anticipate what would go wrong next” and decided to sell his Ferrari. “I spent… 15k for replacing ceramic wheel bearings, 4k for fixing led markers that fall out, and on, and on,” he said. To prepare the car for sale, Mos thought it would be a good idea to fix some of the buttons inside the cabin that had become sticky and difficult to press. After consulting with the dealership, Mos learned that fixing the issue would require the replacement of those buttons, which turned out to be more expensive than anyone could anticipate. Image – Jerry Moss / Carscoops
          Mos posted a picture of the bill, revealing the details of the costly repair job amounting to a total of around $10,000. The bill shows a charge of $7,542 for the “refinishing of all interior pieces” along with $80.70 for “shipping of interior parts for refinishing” and $1,800 for all of the associated labor. In addition to fixing the sticky buttons, the Ferrari also required an engine carbon cleaning, installing a dead pedal, and a few other minor things. Mos also owns a 70th Anniversary Chevrolet Corvette Stingray with the 3LT package and claims that he’s so happy with the American mid-engine supercar that it influenced the sale of his Ferrari. “GM really did make a better Ferrari!” he wrote.​
          Good thing they are stop making ICE cars!

Comment

• Cerberus
            Sr. Contributor
            • Dec 2021

Thanks for posting!

Repair costs are the primary reason I won’t consider acquiring older foreign sports cars. I simply cannot afford the upkeep and not ashamed to admit it.

Patiently waiting for my turn for a Z06…

Comment

• Ragtop 99
              Senior Contributor
              • Dec 2019
              • Bethesda, Maryland

I wanted a Ferrari for years and was shopping for a 2013/2014 California (last of the N/A version) to drive while waiting for the Z06. Several factors were against the purchase. They were about $120k+, which felt really plush to us, and spending that much for a car w/o a warranty didn't sit well with my bride. Everybody wants low miles and if I drove it regularly, it would lose significant value. Maintenance is expensive and there was a known DCT risk (Ferrari improved cooling in the DCTs in 2015). Lastly the being 25 miles from the dealer contributed to a decision to pass. At $90k, my 3LT Z51 HTC stingray seemed cheap after that.

The good news is that experience made buying the Z06 easier to swallow. Still can't believe I spent over $100k for a car.
              2023 Z06 Red Mist HTC Red Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Spoiler / Black Exhaust Tips / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF 1 Interior / Stealth Trim / Red Belts and Stitching. Aerolarri Radian wheels and some additional CF interior trim pieces.

Red Mist C8 Z51 traded for his big brother
              Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

• Jetdriver
                Senior Contributor
                • Nov 2019
                • K.C. Mo.

I guess if you can afford the car, you can afford to maintain it. Well, maybe not according to this guy. One more reason the C8 is the Ferrari killer. If you want something different to drive that's fun and somewhat inexpensive to maintain, buy a old MG-A, or a 914 Porsche. Parts might be a little hard to come by, but much less expensive. Wish I had my old 914 again, as a project car or alternate fun machine. It wouldn't perform like the C8, but fun in its own way.

Comment

• Swagglesmith
                  Contributing Member
                  • Jan 2023
                  • SouthEast US

I have (had) numerous Ferraris. I still own a 458 Speciale and an 812GTS (which I am strongly considering consigning). The bills are indeed eye-watering. Recently I did the annual service on the Speciale, fixed the sticky buttons, replaced the PPF (original put on in 2015), and new Ceramic Pro…and it was well over $10K.
                  I absolutely adore driving my C8 SR HTC. In fact, I have as much fun driving it as my previous 488 Spider, maybe more fun. I like the driving position and interior of my SR far better than any Ferrari I have owned.
                  When it comes to pure driving exhilaration absolutely nothing compares to the Speciale IMO. It feels as though it is dancing on its toes through the turns, the throttle is so responsive a sneeze can launch you into the weeds if in mid turn.
                  The sound of the Speciale is spine tingling too! Can’t wait to get a Z06 though, because I think the Z06 will rival the Ferrari in sound for sure…perhaps even surpass it from what I can tell driving behind my friend in his Z06 one day carving up the turns.
                  ‘23 Stingray HTC, Silver Flare, Z51, 3LT

Comment

• My1stVette
                    Sr. Contributor
                    • Jan 2021
                    • NOVA

Originally posted by Swagglesmith
                    I have (had) numerous Ferraris. I still own a 458 Speciale and an 812GTS (which I am strongly considering consigning). The bills are indeed eye-watering. Recently I did the annual service on the Speciale, fixed the sticky buttons, replaced the PPF (original put on in 2015), and new Ceramic Pro…and it was well over $10K.
                    I absolutely adore driving my C8 SR HTC. In fact, I have as much fun driving it as my previous 488 Spider, maybe more fun. I like the driving position and interior of my SR far better than any Ferrari I have owned.
                    When it comes to pure driving exhilaration absolutely nothing compares to the Speciale IMO. It feels as though it is dancing on its toes through the turns, the throttle is so responsive a sneeze can launch you into the weeds if in mid turn.
                    The sound of the Speciale is spine tingling too! Can’t wait to get a Z06 though, because I think the Z06 will rival the Ferrari in sound for sure…perhaps even surpass it from what I can tell driving behind my friend in his Z06 one day carving up the turns.
                    Put a Soler or Pedal Commander throttle controller (or one of the many other brands) on your C8 and you will get the same effect.
                    2023 Stingray Coupe

Live your best life now!

Comment

• meyerweb
                      Special 2022 Contributor, Founding Member & Patron
                      • Jul 2018
                      • Northern Virginia

I saw that elsewhere, but I think it's a bit misleading. If they are "refinishing of all interior pieces" that's a lot more than fixing some sticky buttons. And it indicates to me this is a much older Ferrari, and working on older cars always costs more money than a new one. There's no way to know what that "refinishing" actually entailed, but if they're really restoring a bunch of the interior I can easily see that racking up thousands of dollars in labor.

Will a Ferrari always cost more to work on than a Corvette. Yeah, mostly. (Except that all routine maintenance on a new Ferrari is covered for 7 years.) But the original story is more than a little bit disingenuous. The owner didn't pay $10 grand "just to fix some malfunctioning buttons."
                      Delivered 5/29/2021!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels, Carbon Flash splitter and side skirts, magnetic engine cover mod & custom painted engine cover, AMT door sills, Soler throttle controller, SmartTop HTC controller
                      >22,000 miles
                      Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• meyerweb
                        Special 2022 Contributor, Founding Member & Patron
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Northern Virginia

Originally posted by Swagglesmith
                        , the throttle is so responsive a sneeze can launch you into the weeds if in mid turn.
                        Originally posted by My1stVette

Put a Soler or Pedal Commander throttle controller (or one of the many other brands) on your C8 and you will get the same effect.
                        A lot of truth in My1stVette's comment. GM performance cars have very slow throttle tip-in, probably in an effort to reduce legal liability from drivers who get in over their head. The Soler, which I have, and I assume the Pedal Commander, can give you a throttle that's so responsive the car is undriveable, or anywhere between that extreme and the stock mapping. I'm not sure I'd want it "so responsive a sneeze can launch you into the weeds," but a throttle controller will let you tune your C8's throttle to be as responsive as you want it to be. The soler is about a 15 minute install: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tle-controller
                        Delivered 5/29/2021!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels, Carbon Flash splitter and side skirts, magnetic engine cover mod & custom painted engine cover, AMT door sills, Soler throttle controller, SmartTop HTC controller
                        >22,000 miles
                        Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• Al
                          Sr. Contributor
                          • Aug 2022
                          • VA

Originally posted by Jetdriver
                          I guess if you can afford the car, you can afford to maintain it. Well, maybe not according to this guy. One more reason the C8 is the Ferrari killer. If you want something different to drive that's fun and somewhat inexpensive to maintain, buy a old MG-A, or a 914 Porsche. Parts might be a little hard to come by, but much less expensive. Wish I had my old 914 again, as a project car or alternate fun machine. It wouldn't perform like the C8, but fun in its own way.
                          Interesting you mention 914 - my first car purchase was 1972 Maverick Grabber (new, $2,750 paid cash), by 1974 had saved enough for a sportier car and really wanted a new Corvette. They were around $10,000 and I did not want a car payment so bought a new 914 - was $5,700. The mid engine handling was great but with only 1.8 L acceleration was more like gathering momentum - haha. First child in 1976 so the 2 seater had to go. Fast forward 50 years and now I have enough saved for my first Corvette and hope to take delivery late Spring. I’ve never forgotten the mid engine handling of that 914 so waiting for the C8 platform was perfect for me.

Comment

• Mobius
                            Forum Founding & Sr. Contributing Member
                            • Jul 2018
                            • Indiana, USA

"Refinishing of all interior pieces"... $7542.01

Seems very reasonable for a nice detailing job. I hope they vac'd under the seats, too.
                            My C8:
                            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                            '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

• SheepDog
                              Senior Contributor
                              • Jul 2018

Every where except perhaps South Florida and parts of California, there are more C8 Corvettes out in daily traffic than there are of all others sports cars combined of all years of production . The others for whatever reason are not being driven.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...