• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rocky51
    Contributing Member
    • May 2022
    • East TN

First 300 miles - New '23 Stingray HTC

Took museum delivery of my ’23 Stingray HTC this week. After delivery I dropped it off at Auto Armor near the NCM Motorsports Park for ceramic coating. Rudy and Kat were terrific and did a wonderful job – the car looks amazing. Then hit the road for the drive home to TN.

I had an opportunity to sit in a C8 last year at the Bash, but had not driven one until now. As others have stated, it was worth the wait. The cockpit is very tight but not cramped. Everything is centered around the driver – makes it feel like a fighter jet. Interior quality is much improved over the C7, and it is much quieter. Feels like a luxury car. But the main thing is how it drives. Very smooth and even though I was taking it easy during break-in, it is very quick – feels quicker than my C6 or C7 GS. The DCT is amazing. Shifts were instant and almost imperceptible. When going slow and then stepping on the throttle, downshifts are instant – no waiting for the transmission to figure out what to do. My C6/C7 are both manual trans, and while rowing your own is fun, I can’t say I miss it in this car. Also noticed that I could not detect the transition to V4 mode and back to V8; the only way I was aware was when I saw it on the display.

Getting it on the backroads of TN was really fun, and you can really tell the advantage of the mid-engine design. Again taking it easy during break-in, you can still feel the difference in the center of gravity and how the car moves through the curves. Once I get past the break-in period, I’ll go through it again with the DCT in manual and really check it out.

Bottom line is I am a very happy camper. Although I have never driven a Porsche or Ferrari, in my opinion this is a Supercar. Planning to be back at NCM for the Bash next month to see what’s up for ’24.

• John
    co-founder/admin
    • Jun 2018
    • PNW

Rocky, so glad you are super enjoying your C8 wonder. Another roughly 20% more torque in 1st and 2nd gears awaits you at 500 miles!

We look forward to meeting you and it at the Bash. Might you wish to get up early on Friday morning and join about 50-60 of us at our annual MECF breakfast?

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...breakfast-back
    2023 Z06: Elkhart Lake Blue, 2-tone blue interior, HTC, Standard Z06 with Z07 aero pkg, CCB’s, 3LZ, E60, every visible carbon fiber option including wheels, & Jake Design Pkg. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 25 year NCM members. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Jetdriver
      Senior Contributor
      • Nov 2019
      • K.C. Mo.

It just keeps getting better from here!

Comment

• JB
        Senior Contributing Member & Patron
        • Jul 2018

You are correct . It’s almost 3 years and this stingray still puts a smile on my face. Just a fabulous vehicle. Glad you’ve got yours now too.

Comment

• Rocky51
          Contributing Member
          • May 2022
          • East TN

Originally posted by John
          Rocky, so glad you are super enjoying your C8 wonder. Another roughly 20% more torque in 1st and 2nd gears awaits you at 500 miles!

We look forward to meeting you and it at the Bash. Might you wish to get up early on Friday morning and join about 50-60 of us at our annual MECF breakfast?

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...breakfast-back
          Thanks John, sounds like fun. See you there.

Comment

• Frenzy36
            ZORA Patron, Founder & Sr. Contributor
            • Jul 2018
            • Rocket City - Florida

Wow nice to see your excitement. I just realized I have had mine for 2-1/2 years already. May many happy trouble free miles and years await .
            Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

Comment

• liquid Nickle
              • Oct 2022

I am a first time corvette owner and taking delivery at the NCM next week. I appreciate any advise or tips for my drive home (900 miles) to Florida. Also, any info. for my first oil change.

Thanks!!!

Comment

• Milliwatt Rob
                ZORA Patron & Sr. Contributor
                • Dec 2018
                • Vermont

Originally posted by liquid Nickle
                I am a first time corvette owner and taking delivery at the NCM next week. I appreciate any advise or tips for my drive home (900 miles) to Florida. Also, any info. for my first oil change.

Thanks!!!
                1. Before venturing into traffic, fully familiarize your feet to the positions of the throttle and brake pedals. You do not want a screw up at your first stop sign or traffic light.

2. Leave it in tour (if weather is dry) or weather (if wet) for the trip home. Leave the experimentation for after you get home.

3. Try to cover at least part of the mileage off the interstate highways. Use interstates to avoid bigger cities.

2022 HTC 2LT Z51
                Front lift, mag ride
                black exterior, adrenaline red interior, bright red calipers, MRR F10 wheels

Comment

• late2game
                  Contributing Member
                  • Dec 2022
                  • 40 Minutes North of NYC

Thanks!!!
                  I took the same trip, Museum to TN for paint protection then to Florida Tampa Bay Area. I used Waze and thankfully it took me one some road I would not of traveled , Some roads were as slow as 35 MPH . Its not so easy to vary speed and rpm as the car loves to be in the 1200 to 1500 rpm range , I think my first 3 tanks were from Buckies along the trip. From the sheet I was given at deliver ,First 200 no hard braking, first 500 keep under 3500, vary speed and rpm.No cruise control. I purchased a bra from museum store and had them in stall during prep. Let me tell you if was filthy by the time I arrived in Florida. ENJOY! that day at the museum was great
                  Built 2/14/23 , Picked up at the museum 3/1/23

2023 Torch Red HTC 3LT with Carbon Flash roof, Mag ride, Performance exhaust, Jake Stripe,Carbon fiber Interior, Sueded steering wheel , R8C Delivery

MEMBER OF
                  NCM., NCRS, Westchester Corvette Club,Sun Coats Corvette Club,AACA, Cadillac Lasalle Club, Cadillac Club of Northern NJ,Sun Coast Cadillac Club

Comment

• late2game
                    Contributing Member
                    • Dec 2022
                    • 40 Minutes North of NYC

Originally posted by Rocky51
                    Took museum delivery of my ’23 Stingray HTC this week. After delivery I dropped it off at Auto Armor near the NCM Motorsports Park for ceramic coating. Rudy and Kat were terrific and did a wonderful job – the car looks amazing. Then hit the road for the drive home to TN.

I had an opportunity to sit in a C8 last year at the Bash, but had not driven one until now. As others have stated, it was worth the wait. The cockpit is very tight but not cramped. Everything is centered around the driver – makes it feel like a fighter jet. Interior quality is much improved over the C7, and it is much quieter. Feels like a luxury car. But the main thing is how it drives. Very smooth and even though I was taking it easy during break-in, it is very quick – feels quicker than my C6 or C7 GS. The DCT is amazing. Shifts were instant and almost imperceptible. When going slow and then stepping on the throttle, downshifts are instant – no waiting for the transmission to figure out what to do. My C6/C7 are both manual trans, and while rowing your own is fun, I can’t say I miss it in this car. Also noticed that I could not detect the transition to V4 mode and back to V8; the only way I was aware was when I saw it on the display.

Getting it on the backroads of TN was really fun, and you can really tell the advantage of the mid-engine design. Again taking it easy during break-in, you can still feel the difference in the center of gravity and how the car moves through the curves. Once I get past the break-in period, I’ll go through it again with the DCT in manual and really check it out.

Bottom line is I am a very happy camper. Although I have never driven a Porsche or Ferrari, in my opinion this is a Supercar. Planning to be back at NCM for the Bash next month to see what’s up for ’24.

Glad you enjoyed your day As already stated I picked mine up on March first at the museum and took it down to Knox Details in Knoxville tn to get my paint protection done (what a great place to deal with) Then went down to Tampa bay area of Florida, now I am back up in Monteray TN trying to decide Do I stay another week here to go to the Corvette Expo in Pigion forge or run back home to NY (I miss my Pets)

Once I return to NY I plan on posting about my trip . with pictures . Save the Wave

Built 2/14/23 , Picked up at the museum 3/1/23

2023 Torch Red HTC 3LT with Carbon Flash roof, Mag ride, Performance exhaust, Jake Stripe,Carbon fiber Interior, Sueded steering wheel , R8C Delivery

MEMBER OF
                    NCM., NCRS, Westchester Corvette Club,Sun Coats Corvette Club,AACA, Cadillac Lasalle Club, Cadillac Club of Northern NJ,Sun Coast Cadillac Club

Comment

• liquid Nickle
                      • Oct 2022

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am picking it up on the 28th and looking forward to it.
                      Thanks!!!

Comment

• Didier9
                        Sr. Contributor
                        • Nov 2021
                        • North West Florida

Thanks!!!
                        The interstate is not the best place to break-in the engine. It's normally best to have the engine rev up and down (with light torque) as you will encounter on the back roads. That said, modern engines are more tolerant of imperfect break-in than back in the days. If it were me (and while I live in Florida, I am 512 miles from Bowling Green), I would try to enjoy the back roads, at least some of the time, during the first 500 miles rather than do 900 miles on the interstate straight up. It will be considerably more fun, and better for the car.

The brake pedal is very sensitive with a short throw. Driving on the interstate, you don't get to use the brakes very much so the first time you might need them, you may be surprised. Make sure you practice the brakes a bit before hitting the road.

We are doing the oil change at the local dealer ($150 + tax). When we got the car (2021), few independent shops knew how to put the car on the lift, and I did not want to take the risk of something being damaged while trying to save a few bucks. The car has now ~20,000 miles and we just drove it back to the dealer this morning for an oil change. YMMV.

Edit: my local dealer is pretty cool. They asked if we were going to wait for the car and if we had wanted, they would have done the oil change on our car first. Also they do not mark-up cars over MSRP which, nowadays is a rarity.
                        Last edited by Didier9; 03-22-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Foosh
                          ZORA Patron & Sr. Contributor
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Annapolis, MD

Originally posted by late2game

I took the same trip, Museum to TN for paint protection then to Florida Tampa Bay Area. I used Waze and thankfully it took me one some road I would not of traveled , Some roads were as slow as 35 MPH . Its not so easy to vary speed and rpm as the car loves to be in the 1200 to 1500 rpm range , I think my first 3 tanks were from Buckies along the trip. From the sheet I was given at deliver ,First 200 no hard braking, first 500 keep under 3500, vary speed and rpm.No cruise control. I purchased a bra from museum store and had them in stall during prep. Let me tell you if was filthy by the time I arrived in Florida. ENJOY! that day at the museum was great
                          It is easy to paddle shift gears while in automatic to vary rpm. After a short period, it will switch back to automatic mode. Varying speed is self-explanatory. I found that particularly useful on interstate highways

Comment

• Ldd
                            Contributing Member
                            • Jan 2023
                            • Ocala

You can always come back on the auto train.

Comment

• liquid Nickle
                              • Oct 2022

Originally posted by Didier9

The interstate is not the best place to break-in the engine. It's normally best to have the engine rev up and down (with light torque) as you will encounter on the back roads. That said, modern engines are more tolerant of imperfect break-in than back in the days. If it were me (and while I live in Florida, I am 512 miles from Bowling Green), I would try to enjoy the back roads, at least some of the time, during the first 500 miles rather than do 900 miles on the interstate straight up. It will be considerably more fun, and better for the car.

The brake pedal is very sensitive with a short throw. Driving on the interstate, you don't get to use the brakes very much so the first time you might need them, you may be surprised. Make sure you practice the brakes a bit before hitting the road.

We are doing the oil change at the local dealer ($150 + tax). When we got the car (2021), few independent shops knew how to put the car on the lift, and I did not want to take the risk of something being damaged while trying to save a few bucks. The car has now ~20,000 miles and we just drove it back to the dealer this morning for an oil change. YMMV.

Edit: my local dealer is pretty cool. They asked if we were going to wait for the car and if we had wanted, they would have done the oil change on our car first. Also they do not mark-up cars over MSRP which, nowadays is a rarity.
                              Thank you!! appreciate all the tips. I saw on a utube video to do the first oil change at 7500 miles and not 500(C7), and to also have the transmission external filter change at the same time. am I on the right track?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...