MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

Hagerty says 600HP LT2. Does Hagerty Know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by electroVette View Post
    My estimate remains at 525 - 550 hp. 600hp is I think unlikely but I wouldn't bet much against it.
    The extra cam phaser chain in this image still has me perplexed:
    The first DUHC (Dual Under Head Cam) or DIBC (Dual In Block Cam)?

Just kidding. I don't see GM spending the money to develop a radically different OHV engine.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I too hope to see 600 hp and would be disappointed if it's less than 500 hp. We'll know for sure in 6 days.

Comment

Ome of the attributes we gain with corvette is the fact gm shares much of its pioneered technology with its money making pickup truck lineup.

i agree I dont think gm is going to go crazy with new tech on the upcoming LT2 and instead believe we will see incremental improvements of efficiency that by themselves dont really register as cutting edge ...except when combined together all these unique and small design shifts that incrementally give us hopefully at least 500 hp...

water pumps, thermal management, power steering, air conditioning etc...fuel injection system efficiency, electrical 48 volt system...things like that...

Comment

I believe this article was more about the evolution of GM engines as they move toward their fully electric initiative. It appears just to be an estimation of HP during that evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            Ome of the attributes we gain with corvette is the fact gm shares much of its pioneered technology with its money making pickup truck lineup.

i agree I dont think gm is going to go crazy with new tech on the upcoming LT2 and instead believe we will see incremental improvements of efficiency that by themselves dont really register as cutting edge ...except when combined together all these unique and small design shifts that incrementally give us hopefully at least 500 hp...

water pumps, thermal management, power steering, air conditioning etc...fuel injection system efficiency, electrical 48 volt system...things like that...
            I'm hoping we'll see the dual port / direct injection that debuted on the LT5.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rockies411 View Post
              I too hope to see 600 hp and would be disappointed if it's less than 500 hp. We'll know for sure in 6 days.
              i want you to be right about knowing the HP in 6 days. The process is a tease so far. Half the mystery is which/what will be with held and he other half is which/what will be revealed in 6 days.

?Everything visually ascertainable about a base car actually presented, or all base versions

?Everything known and all stats

?Performance infro

?price

?order dates

?first delivery dates

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

The first DUHC (Dual Under Head Cam) or DIBC (Dual In Block Cam)?

Just kidding. I don't see GM spending the money to develop a radically different OHV engine.
                I can see it. GM are essentially a truck company and the small block Chevy V8 still reigns supreme for trucks due to the relative efficiency and low cost. Even Ford is developing a new pushrod V8 for their heavy duty trucks.

Without turbos, DOHC four valves per cylinder lack the necessary low end torque for truck duty, and the added cost and complexity of turbos aren't warranted for commercial truck duty.

We also have evidence from the recent Nürburgring gas station photos of an unusually low redline on the LT2 (less than or equal to 6000 rpm), further suggesting increased valvetrain mass. The site won't take the jpg upload but I'll try again later.

Comment

If it has lap time performance near or beating the current Z06.....WHO CARES WHAT THE HORSEPOWER NUMBER IS!!!!!
                  The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

The extra timing chain is very interesting! I've built quite a few small blocks over the years and i can't figure out what that could be for. I hope we find out Thursday!

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                      If it has lap time performance near or beating the current Z06.....WHO CARES WHAT THE HORSEPOWER NUMBER IS!!!!!
                      Meldoon, funny thing you should mention this. I talked with a GM person at the Bash, a person who is often at Tadge’s side, and when no one else was around, and while he would never confirm not deny a single word I would say, with my pre-retirement career, I am more than decent at reading faces.

I said, “I would not be surprised if at a shorter, technical track like Lime Rock, the entry C8 will beat, equal, or come fractionally close to meeting the Z06’s time.” His face turned white, as if I had read a line from the Tadge’s confidential reveal script.

So, we shall see. But I would not doubt that that is something we could hear.
                      Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Meldoon, funny thing you should mention this. I talked with a GM person at the Bash, a person who is often at Tadge’s side, and when no one else was around, and while he would never confirm not deny a single word I would say, with my pre-retirement career, I am more than decent at reading faces.
                        The curious wonder: what was your pre-retirement career, and how did you get such close relationships with Corvette team members?

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >33,000+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

the curious wonder: What was your pre-retirement career, and how did you get such close relationships with corvette team members?
                          ---------> ditto!
                          2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Originally posted by electroVette View Post

I can see it. GM are essentially a truck company and the small block Chevy V8 still reigns supreme for trucks due to the relative efficiency and low cost. Even Ford is developing a new pushrod V8 for their heavy duty trucks.

Without turbos, DOHC four valves per cylinder lack the necessary low end torque for truck duty, and the added cost and complexity of turbos aren't warranted for commercial truck duty.

We also have evidence from the recent Nürburgring gas station photos of an unusually low redline on the LT2 (less than or equal to 6000 rpm), further suggesting increased valvetrain mass. The site won't take the jpg upload but I'll try again later.
                            I would be surprised if the redline was only 6000 rpm or less..

with a dct i guess it doesnt matter yet I would be surprised with such a low redline.

interestingly enough my alfa stelvio ti turbo four 2 liter has a redline of 5750 which surprised me...not that it ever matters but it did surprise me...

Comment

Since 1965 starting with being an OEM assembly line worker (summers while helping pay my way through college), then in an out of the automotive field including ordering and maintaining 650+ vehicles for a local government for a long time, vacations driving FedEx line haul tractor/trailers, being a lifelong gear-head, driving over 2 million miles, and stuff like that. Most of my career was supervision and admin of smart and capable people.

How have I made friendships with Corvette team members? Good question. Never thought of that before you asked.

By being respectful, providing rare suggestions, listening, loving Corvettes, by my knowing how difficult their jobs are, extremely infrequently asking for their time, and by my never asking one single question about future product. Conversely, when they have taken undeserved heat, such as their being repeatedly castigated elsewhere for allegedly falling behind schedule on delivering different C7 products, I wrote a thread listing that for three models in a row, they exceeded their earlier, publicly-delivery-stated timelines. I send them a link to that thread. [I have their emails, but typically more than a year goes by before I communicate with any one of them in any way.]

Creating this positive forum certainly has strengthened my earlier relationships. I guess another thing is that over the twenty years, the very few times I have asked difficult questions that I believe should be asked, I only have done so when no one else is around. Lastly, regarding while earning their trust, they have never inappropriately shared one fact about “future product.” Good for them!!! In turn, they know and feel I respect how difficult their work is, so that they as human beings in turn feel appreciated by me.

They are to a person, beyond professionally caring about our Corvettes; instead of it being a job, it is a personal and emotional commitment of every one of them. The hours they all individually work is ridiculous, that being because of the minuscule size of the team.

I really appreciate, like and respect them, and I guess they sense that.
                              Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

the base naturally-aspirated LT2 rated at roughly 600 hp while displacing the same 6.2 liters as the current LT1 in the C7. . . .
                                600 HP sounds entirely possible to me. The 2019 GT350 Mustang has a $61,535 base price and 526 HP. Do you think GM would settle for 500 HP for their flagship C8 when the Muskrat has 526 HP with a presumably lower or close to the same base price?
                                Last edited by Shepherd777; 07-12-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X