MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

Look At These Tailpipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the time the tail pipe tips were first shown on the camo C8's, I was hoping they were just temporary. I don't have a problem with the shape, it's the SIZE that really bothers me. They look 'wimpy small' like something you'd find on an econo-box or tricked rice burner. The pictures of the blue one in the factory lead me to believe that after market substitutes will still be limited in size by the opening or 'surround panel'. I would bet that the high performance versions will have seriously bigger pipes and a rear lower fascia panel to accommodate 'em….

Comment

Blacked out tailpipes are all the rage.

i like the blacked out look shown above.

i think the rear of the c8 has enough shapes etc...

blacking out the tailpipes visually quiets down the rear of the vehicle in a good way.

at least from what we have seen so far.

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
        I don't have a problem with the shape, it's the SIZE that really bothers me. They look 'wimpy small' like something you'd find on an econo-box or tricked rice burner.
        Good point TooOld2Race, I wonder what it would look like if there was just one larger rectangular-ish outlet on each side?

Yeah, 4 pipes is kind of a Vette tradition but maybe it's time to break it and clean up the rear end.

Comment

They do look small to me, but like all pictures, perhaps in reality we might have a different impression.
          Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Maybe the '70 to '73 rectangular tips would work.
            Save the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluevette View Post
              I'd like to see people's reactions if GM just put something like these on. Even if it was just for one photo to mess with people.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	PicsArt_07-11-03.21.24.jpg Views:	86 Size:	51.1 KB ID:	45342
              I want to put a set of these pipes coming out the rear deck lid. That would look intimidating.
              Last edited by Frenzy36; 07-12-2019, 12:41 AM.
              Rocket City Florida

Comment

Probably my last post..... the effect of the force that is Jalopnik - and others - have set in with me now in the same way it did with the early C7 reveal. Eventually, I grew to "live" with the C7 as did countless people who bought them, but I still have more respect for nearly any design that incorporates Round, staring, non-Kia & Hyundai angular taillights. I still don't care for the tails on the C7 and looks like I won't like them on the C8. Just as I don't like them on the Camaro. So, to me, C6 is the winner of all time. Base model, non-widebody, C6 with a rear end that I could stare at all year long without even driving it. So, I'm gone. Thanks for the brief visit and good luck to all future owners of C8.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayman View Post
                  Probably my last post..... the effect of the force that is Jalopnik - and others - have set in with me now in the same way it did with the early C7 reveal. Eventually, I grew to "live" with the C7 as did countless people who bought them, but I still have more respect for nearly any design that incorporates Round, staring, non-Kia & Hyundai angular taillights. I still don't care for the tails on the C7 and looks like I won't like them on the C8. Just as I don't like them on the Camaro. So, to me, C6 is the winner of all time. Base model, non-widebody, C6 with a rear end that I could stare at all year long without even driving it. So, I'm gone. Thanks for the brief visit and good luck to all future owners of C8.
                  You’re basing your opinion haven’t not seen the real car?

Comment

I tend to agree with those who have said round tailpipes will look out of place among the angular rear forms of the C8. But the C7 has angular rear forms, and the round pipes work fine there.

But rather than four square (or nearly square) tips, I'd rather see something that echoes the trapezoidal forms of the taillights and vents. Something more like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	dsc_0552-55b752ea4dead.jpg Views:	0 Size:	835.5 KB ID:	45582

But Chevy could still surprise us.

Originally posted by CraZ8 View Post
                    You’re basing your opinion haven’t not seen the real car?
                    Some people will never get over the round taillights, even though as many Corvettes have had other shapes as have had round.
                    Last edited by meyerweb; 07-12-2019, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling typo
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

Good point TooOld2Race, I wonder what it would look like if there was just one larger rectangular-ish outlet on each side?

Yeah, 4 pipes is kind of a Vette tradition but maybe it's time to break it and clean up the rear end.
                      I have the rectangular exhaust tips on my TL and they don't look too bad. The one's on the C8 spy pictures do look too small. The trapezoids illustrated by meyerweb above seem like a better option. It's a shame that they clearly are not modeling the quad exhaust on our C7's. I love that look.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post
                        It's a shame that they clearly are not modeling the quad exhaust on our C7's. I love that look.
                        Two thoughts: with the rearward location of the engine and a transaxle extending behind the rear axles, there may not be room to get the exhaust in the same location as on the C7. and since we keep hearing that luggage space won't be an issue on the C8, there may be storage behind the engine, and getting the hot exhaust plumping away from that area may be necessary.

Yes, some exotics have the exhaust routed to the middle of the rear end, but they don't have any storage back there, I don't think.
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

That stright pipe look , Looks like the ZR1 at the ring last year to tone down the sound, Well maybe not quite that look but as awkward

Comment

Oh, I would rather see two larger rectangular pipes come out the back than four small ones. The CTS V two pipe configuration isn't to bad out the middle. It is going to be hard to beat the 4 pipes out the back middle of the C7. I am Praying the rear end does not look like the pics we have seen on the past week. If it is the back Fascia maybe we will see an updated version in the near future. I have not heard one positive comment on the rear fascia in those photos. AND, The diffuser does not make sense on a mid engine car. I sure would like to see FVS or Chazcron do a rendering of the rear Fascia of what they think would look nice before next Thursday. just for grins. It is a simple panel and would make an interesting custom part for an aftermarket person to recreate the rear end in Carbon Fiber if the rear is as we have seen it, But I still doubt the rear of the car as we have seen in pcs this week are real. .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D99898B9-361B-496F-A627-78B40AD1A4E0.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	45621 Quad pipes, round taillights......what’s not to like......😎
                              The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                                ...there may be storage behind the engine, and getting the hot exhaust plumping away from that area may be necessary.
                                The transverse muffler is just behind the transaxle so the storage back there will be located above it and already have to deal with heat from that source. I'm sure GM has figured it out.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X