MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

POLL: C8 Horsepower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

I think it will be under 3 seconds. And a rocket to 100.

In the FE car, first gear/ratio was selected to reach 60MPH without a gear change, so that the Zero-60 time would not be impaired by a gear shift from 1st to 2nd.

FE did not have DCT. The engine loss revs and the shifts were meaningfully slow and lowered the Zero to sprint times.

ME has DCT which will shift fast and not loose revs in the 1st to 2nd shift.

ME also will have better traction off the line and no/less wheel spin. The traction systems are better. The weight is over the drive wheels.

Therefore the ME can have a higher gear ratio in the 1st and 2nd gear. As much as 30% to 50% higher gear ratios easily.

So. Whatever the HP and TQ turns out to be, the higher gear ratios in 1st and second will multiply the low end torque at the rear wheel to make it meaningfully higher.

And the DTC has a lot of forward gears, 7 or 8, to take care of the top end.

Therefore, if any of this speculative figuring-out, is valid in the real world , then the ME C8 should be a smoker from a stand=still. Long as it's not a chubby.
    More gear or higher gear equal less power! Higher 1st is slower. DCT is still just a gear box. The C8 will have and need lower gears to deliver more power with more weight.
    FE cars first gear depends if you mean the A8 0r the M7. The A8 is quick and has a lower over all 1st and is hard to beat to 60 or 100.

I think the base C8 will be 505-520 hp!
    Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

More gear or higher gear equal less power! Higher 1st is slower. DCT is still just a gear box. The C8 will have and need lower gears to deliver more power with more weight.
      FE cars first gear depends if you mean the A8 0r the M7. The A8 is quick and has a lower over all 1st and is hard to beat to 60 or 100.

I think the base C8 will be 505-520 hp!

I my amateur understanding:

1. "Higher gear ratio" is not the same thing as "higher gear". The two concepts are actually the opposite of one another. Don't let the words "higher" and "lower" get in the way.

2. The "Lower Gears" have "higher gear ratios".

3. The "higher gears" have "lower gear ratios".

I know that it sounds A__ __ backwards, but that is the way it is.

4. An Example of high ratio is 1st gear. --- the ratio is generally something like 4:1 (4 to 1) . meaning 4 revolutions of the crank shaft for each 1 revolution on the other side of the gear box. But first gear is called a low gear. Still the ratio is high, it is 4 to 1. A ratio of 4:1 (4 to one) produced high torque but low speed. I guess 1st called a low gear because of the low speed. But Still the ratio is high and the torque is high in 1st gear. Therefore with a DCT in the C8, 1st gear can be made 5:1 or 6:1. : That would create mush more torque at 1st gear and thereby blast the C8 from a standing start with greater thrust than 4:1.

Of course, the 6:1 ratio would create a "shorter gear" that would top out at maybe 40 MPH instead of 60MPH. But the DTC would make a lightening fast shift to 2nd gear. So the C8 would reach Zero to 60 mush faster. Optimistically , in about less than 3 seconds if it has 525 HP and 3250 pounds. Since the DCT has many gears it will still top out at 200MPH or some crazy high speed .

5. An Example of low ratio is 7th gear --- the ratio is generally something like 1:1. (1 to 1) meaning 1 revolutions of the crank shaft for each 1 revolution on the other side of the gear box. But 7th gear is called a high gear. Still the ratio is low, it is 1 to 1.. A ratio of 1:1 (1 to one) produced low torque but high speed. Low ratios in the given application produce high speed and are called high gears , as in high speed gears. But high gears have lower ratios.

SO. the C8 may do Zero to 60 faster than the driver can inhale or exhale.

But there are experts out there on MECF who can correct my errors.
      Last edited by SheepDog; 07-09-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
        I believe the MiG-25 Foxbat would disagree with you there Quick history lesson, the engines were massively overpowered for the air-frame.

https://migflug.com/jetflights/mig-2...oviet-rat-rod/
        "The Tumansky R-15 is one of the most ridiculous engines ever designed, and the information available about it is barely believable. Each one produces more than 24,000 pound-feet of force at afterburner, and the MiG-25 had double. It could propel the plane to over a blasting 90,000 feet, and to Mach 3.2 (No, not a typo)"
        The R-15 was a BIG turbojet with a 5-stage compressor and an overall pressure ratio of only 8:1. It had 24,000 lbf of thrust at SL Static conditions and a lot more at Mach 2.8. The R-15 was small potatoes, however, compared to the massive GE4 turbojet built by GE Aviation for the Boeing 2707 SST in the 1960's That one never left the thrust stand, BUT, it had over 68,600 lbf of thrust at SL Static and could push a Boeing 2707 to Mach 2.8 for a flight of over 4000 NM.

It had a nine-stage compressor with an overall pressure ratio of 12.5:1 and sucked in 620 lbm/sec airflow. It knocked GE Chief Engineer, Gerhard Neumann's wife's china out of her breakfront cabinet over 5 miles away from the Evendale, OH plant the first time it ran in full after-burning, and that was when Neumann said he realized that this was just TOO BIG and LOUD for people to tolerate.

Here's a couple pics of this monster ! Notice the red glow from the afterburner case. All Hastalloy superalloy sheet at over 1800 degrees in cruise. Mick Jagger said "Too much is never enough", but sometimes too much is just too much. Much like the massive 1.5M lbf NASA / Rocketdyne F-1 for the Saturn rocket, the GE4 engine was a force of nature !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GE Aviation GE4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	46150Click image for larger version

Name:	GE4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	46151Click image for larger version

Name:	GE4 on test.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.2 KB