C8’s Connections With C1-C7’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8’s Connections With C1-C7’s

How will the C8 connect with 66 years of Corvette history and accomplishments? Thread with big thanks to JoeCT asking this major question.

What are those connections going to be?

Will it be recognizable visually?

Will it continue to be the performance value king?

Will it continue GM’s tradition of pioneering engineering advancements?

And/or ???
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I started wishing and waiting for a Corvette and now I’m waiting for the next one.

It it will be the “most bang for the buck” you can buy.

I don’t care how many they make they will be recognized and envied.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      How will the C8 connect with 66 years of Corvette history and accomplishments? Thread with big thanks to JoeCT asking this major question.

What are those connections going to be?

Will it be recognizable visually?

Will it continue to be the performance value king?

Will it continue GM’s tradition of pioneering engineering advancements?

And/or ???
      All of the above. I think our minds will be blown with the new engineering advancements.

Bang for the buck and will be uniquely recognizable as a corvette

Comment

"Bang for the buck" is a very generic statement. It will be a huge bang for the buck even if it's under $175k. It would still be cheaper, but far better performing, then anything that cost under $350,000!! And many over that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ltomn View Post
          but far better performing, then anything that cost under $350,000!! And many over that!!!
          Lamborghini Huracan Performante
          Porsche 911 Turbo S / GT3 RS / GT2 RS
          McLaren 570S
          Ferrari 488 GTB

All those are under 350k. I think you may be getting just a smig ahead of yourself by saying that the C8 will outperform anything under 350k.

Comment

Like it or not, it seems as if the move to rear mid-engine is table stakes for being recognized as at least a peer to those other performance marques. While I wish we could continue to see evolution of a front engine GT car for Corvette (never say never), it's exciting to see what Corvette does with this new (to us) form factor to make it better and more Corvette.

How will it connect? I think we've already been told it will be visually recognizable and it will be even better than we've imagined via renders or that the mules let on. I imagine the sound will be somewhat different but also recognizable and we already have some insight into that. I'm guessing the interior is going to be C7 to the next level, which given the C7's quality, will mean the C8 interior will be top notch. Same for the tech. It will be a daily drivable high-performance car with a more exotic look than its ancestors and it will be a Chevrolet, worthy of the race heritage from which that name comes.

2019 Z06: M7 Coupe: Shadow Gray Metallic
            2016 Sting w/Z51 : M7 Coupe : Night Race Blue

Comment

Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
              Lamborghini Huracan Performante
              Porsche 911 Turbo S / GT3 RS / GT2 RS
              McLaren 570S
              Ferrari 488 GTB

All those are under 350k. I think you may be getting just a smig ahead of yourself by saying that the C8 will outperform anything under 350k.
              You may be correct but I am so used to the C7 being faster then these other cars that I simply assume the upcoming C8 will be as equally quick.

Comment

There will be a continuity of the following? Back in the 60s and 70s it seemed that the following was guys in their 20s and 30s and they were ripping up and down in the big blocks and small blocks. Maybe the C8 can reconnect with the modern day kindred sprit within the 20s and 30s. But money and priorities change and cycle ver time. How youth expresses its exuberance in 2020 is a factor. We will see.

The connection is mind. Who will love it.

I talked to an elderly lady earlier today who is "still" angry with her irresponsible cousin "Robert" about the expensive hotrod he purchased back in the 1960s. She had to cover a few of his note payments. He never repaid. She is still peeved. Same lady loves the memories of her Dodge Stealth and RX7.
                Last edited by SheepDog; 06-27-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ltomn View Post

You may be correct but I am so used to the C7 being faster then these other cars that I simply assume the upcoming C8 will be as equally quick.
                  A base C7 is no where near faster that the above. The Performante was the Ring King, with the GT2 RS overtaking it, while the ZR1 was unable to crack 7 min barrier (yes argument about cold tires / not enough time/ etc. But, it's the time that was presented) . So, again, not faster than "all these other cars". I think you're letting brand loyalty cloud your judgement, a problem I've seen in every car community I've been in. Cars are cool, just like what you like, keep the hyperbole out of it. I have no doubt the C8 will be cool, hence the reason I'm here. I'm very excited that there could be a quality mid-engine sports car I can actually afford (Alfa Romeo 4C not withstanding), but to blanket statement saying that it will beat everything under that price point, is just not realistic. Do I believe it may be a wake up call for the higher end models, sure do. Even if you're loaded, if the performance delta doesn't make the price delta, I could see many people buying the C8 vice something more pricey.
                  Last edited by P-Tree; 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM. Reason: Aventador LP770-4 SVJ is current Nordschleife record holder

Comment

Would the roughly 1,000 HP 2024 ZORA be that year’s gas powered N’Ring production holder?
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I think the C8 Corvette will connect well with the history of previous Corvettes. Sme may feel the car needs to be an FE forever. To evolve Corvette has always changed with the times. The mid engine platform is a necessary aggressive move. I feel from what I have seen is that it will be recognizable as a Corvette. The front reminds me of the C3 cars.
                      Price will determine if the C8 will be a value King . And, I certainly feel that Corvette will continue in pioneering GMs technological advancements.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        Would the roughly 1,000 HP 2024 ZORA be that year’s gas powered N’Ring production holder?
                        Sure will be a contender! Especially if it is hybrid, and they use a trick system for the front wheels. Use the inside wheel to "pull" the car around the corner, etc. It will be exciting for sure! Maybe they can license the ALA from VAG. It will be exciting to see.

I do wish pop up headlights were still a thing, I always liked them.

Comment

“Air drag” headlights is what then Chief Corvette Engineer Dave Hill called pop ups as he explained why they were not on the C6. With aero being king, doubt we will ever see pops ups again in any vehicle — unless P-Tree you create them as an aftermarket product.

Comment

Originally posted by John Parker View Post
                            I started wishing and waiting for a Corvette and now I’m waiting for the next one.

It it will be the “most bang for the buck” you can buy.

I don’t care how many they make they will be recognized and envied.
                            I too started wishing for a Corvette 65 years ago at 12 years old ( have had 3 ) and here we are again like little kids waiting for XMAS. Hope Bob Lutz is right and we’ll all have enough Bucks to buy all the Bang we’re seeing in the renderings. They will stand alone with their phenomenal styling,but have more than enough cues to mark their Heritage.

Comment

Not need to worry about its pricing. Yes, more than a 2019 Stingray, but $2,000 of that difference, at least to 78% of C7 buyers who’s first chosen option was the automatic trans, that would be a $2,000 “avoided option” — as the DCT will be included in the 2020 Stingray’s MSRP.

Also as noted by others earlier, the interior will be a further nice upgrade, as will all the safety equipment, the car being quicker and faster, and have so many more upgrades.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X