Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Bob Lutz says the C8 and Corvette Need an SUV to Prosper, Longterm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Lutz says the C8 and Corvette Need an SUV to Prosper, Longterm.

A Corvette SUV Would Happen Under Bob Lutz’s Watch

Lutz spoke candidly about the mid-engine Corvette and the Corvette brand as a whole in a new interview with Automotive News (subscription required) published on Sunday. He said while the mid-engine C8 Corvette will likely do well at first, it won’t do anything to bring in younger and new customers. In fact, he thinks it will be relegated to the same customer base.

“I don’t think anyone is going to get out of a Porsche 911” and buy a mid-engine Corvette, he said.

Instead, he thinks GM should invest in a premium architecture to rival the Porsche Cayenne and build a Corvette super SUV. SUVs are, obviously, where the money is and GM knows a thing or two about building great utility vehicles. Lutz’s hypothetical Corvette SUV would be a little bigger than a Porsche Cayenne and sell in medium volumes; the starting price? A cool $100,000.

No “low-end” version either. Lutz said the Corvette brand would need to be no compromises—offer an American made “stellar premium sport-utility.” To Lutz, a Corvette brand with this kind of vehicle is a no-brainer.

It’s a solution to a problem the Corvette has faced for years now: its customer base is aging and younger buyers simply aren’t replacing them. A luxurious, performance Corvette SUV, however, could be just the trick. It worked for Porsche, after all.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/...#ixzz5rnahI676

With all due respect to Maximum Bob, the wide array of SUV nameplates already offered by GM argues against a Corvette SUV. What extra prestige would it offer compared to an existing Cadillac model for example?

Comment

While the idea of a Corvette SUV sounds weird, I have a BMW X5, which BMW markets as a "Sports Activity Vehicle", or SAV. And for such a vehicle, it handles pretty well and will do 130 mph, so I am told. I know at 90 mph, it is stable as aa rock..

It would have to be something more than an upgraded Equinox.

Comment

Bob Lutz has had a stellar career. He speaks as if he is still on the pulse of consumer attitudes. Hopefully he is off the mark this time.

Lutz says C8 will not convert 911 loyalist. Predicts it will not attract new young buyers. Says that the SUV is the future and that the Corvette base will be unchanged by the C8.

Last edited by SheepDog; 06-24-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Totally agree with Mr. Lutz!
          '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
          '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
          '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
          '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
          '14 Black Z51 Coupe
          '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

Thanks Sheepdog. I am not that computer savy and read this article early online this morning and could not figure out how to start a new thread. But boy do I have an opinion on Bob Lutz's opinions. And boy do I disagree with Bob Lutz on so many avenues on his opinion. That's what makes this reveal fun. OPINIONS. My opinions and emotions are mixed on this subject. I had a few Porsches at the time the Porsche SUVs came out and it did not sit right with me. I felt a Porsche should always be a Sports car and not something a 70 year old lady brought to Porsche Ralleys . But I see that at every rally Porsche today. At the Porsche clubs morning coffees there are Porsche SUVs and refreshingly so, As I now like to see participation at all levels.And what about that poor guy whose wife won't let him have a Corvette ?? This is a way to sneak one in the garage. Not to mention for the old timers not getting use to the mid engine concept could then purchase a HOT ROD SUV. Kinda reminds me of a suped up 57 NOMAD. If Chevey came out with those back in 57 would anyone buy them. ? Maybe not. But today , I think maybe and Porsche proved it. I do not agree with a heavy price tag of 100K. A base model tricked out at 70k and a ZO6 version in the 100K range. Maybe that is pushing it. Maybe not. But certainly can not be compared to that of a Cadillac SUV. But did Porsche really create enthusiasm in their Sports car by making an SUV???? Not really, they found new buyers that could now justify a Porsche purchase and had the means to do it.
            But hey good news for those already missing a FE Corvette, the engines will be front and centered. But would it really be a Corvette?? I would have no problem with it . With the new mis engine Corvettes the SUV with a FE would be different. And if priced right may actually sell. But is do dis agree with the thought that Corvette needs this to survive. What corvette needs to survive, at least in the next gen, is what they are doing with the C8 and most importantly price the C8 in an affordable manner. I have confidence they will do so. They absolutely have to. BUT, Bob Lutz is right that Sports cars are slowing in sales. I honestly feel that the C8 Corvette style will be around for years and that it may very well be the last Corvette ever built. With declining sales in sports cars what could be GMs next move.?? It would have to be an extremely affordable hybrid or electric version and I feel if they get to that 1,000 HP C8. The excitement will be gone and so will al the gear heads in the future that love the V8s and how we grew to love this iconic car. I hate to say it but I sincerely feel GM has no place to go after the C8 for many reasons.

Comment

Any chance we could get one of our illustrious designers to take a crack at a Corvette SUV? Could be fun. Porsche decided to go front engine for both the SUV and the sedan.
              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I respectfully disagree with Bob that the mid engine will not bring in new and younger customers. There are young people who could care less about the C7, but are excited about the ME. I talked talked with a person this weekend who was relating the excitement of some young people he talked with (defined to me at under 40) in that group who are very interested in the upcoming new Corvette.
                Last edited by John; 06-24-2019, 05:40 PM.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

This
                  Sometimes I agree with Bob but this is one we part company.

The Corvette is a model not a brand. The equity is build on a top performing sports car for half the exotics or more. What does this have to do with a SUV.

On the other hand Porsche is a sport car company that has nothing else to rely on like Chevy does for income. They have to have these models to survive.

Now there is a way to leverage the Corvette name but not use it in a way to damage it. You take a Tahoe and you give it to the Corvette guys to tune and modify in their own way. You retain the Tahoe name but you name it Tahoe GS Tuned By Team Corvette.

Let them play with the engine and suspension. Change the seats and see what they get. 2/3 of the Corvette owners would buy one for daily use since they don’t daily drive the car. Also on Vette owners would buy in.

You also could take a Silverado and make a sport version tuned by the Corvette team too.

In fact even the a tuned version the the Camaro could be done.

The Vette engineers could be the second coming of the GM performance division and be the Chevy HSV group.

Last edited by MikeC8; 06-24-2019, 04:52 PM.
                  2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    I respectfully disagree with Bob that the mid engine will not bring in new and younger customers. There are young people who could care less about the C7, but are excited about the ME. I talked talked with a person this weekend who was relating the excitement of some young people he talked with (defined to me at under 40) in that group who are very interested in the upcoming new Corvette.
                    Well, Let's just ours...OK?
                    Last edited by John; 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

The period from 1953 to 2019 had an ever increasing pace of change. Corvette had a steady pace of change during that time. So there was, in the end, a mismatch between Corvette and pace. The pace mismatch is not just at Corvette. Its every where. Traditional models are going down and new one coming up.

The C8 is a big change. A first step of what Corvette will do going forward or a single aberration? The future is always uncertain. If corvette innovates at pace it will do fine. The seven year cycle will to fit the future.

At a minimum the technical features should be advanced every year. McLaren is breeding models and technology like a rabbit. If Corvette is flexible, innovative and creative then it can win its way forward.

Acceptance of things and ideas different, novel, new. Like the all fiberglass body. Tesla has the establishment shaking in its boots for lots of reasons. New guy on the block. Can Corvette be the new guy agin.
                      Last edited by SheepDog; 06-24-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

With two shifts, going to be enough to go around, though if someone for the first time becomes aware of the C8 on the 7.19.19 national morning news, and thinks they are going to pay sticker and see on and buy it in their dealer’s showroom during the first few months they are being made, that person would be let done.

Conversely, if you take all the above and add a person willing to make up for his/her impatience buy paying an extra $25K to get it immediately, that will happen. I know of a person who was in that exact circumstance in the Miami area, woke up to first realize that there was a C7 Z06, had to have it NOW, and was able to do exactly that, but he paid cash for it sticker price and also an additional $25,000 in cash on top of it. But he did drive it home that very day.

We each get to choose.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I respect Lutz for his ability to ram ideas through GM's brain-dead bureaucracy and the fact that some of those ideas are good common sense, for example his recognition of the need for quality vehicle interiors at GM. Yet whenever I hear or read him go on at extended length, I'm reminded of a saying:

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Many of his ideas are misfires, yet his ego doesn't permit consideration that maybe he doesn't know it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
                            Kinda reminds me of a suped up 57 NOMAD.
                            Your mention of the Nomad reminded me of the first time GM thought they could expand the Corvette brand. The trio of 1954 dream car Corvettes included a station wagon they called the Corvette Nomad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvette-Nomad-1954-Dream-Car-01-Medium.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	42074

Image is from an article describing all three Corvette dream car spin offs at the My Auto World site.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

Your mention of the Nomad
                              Always wanted whitewalls to return. They were so cool. Modern tires and wheels are like Mike Tyson's boxing shoes.

Last edited by SheepDog; 06-24-2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X