Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Dealer "Extras"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer "Extras"

I posted this in a different Corvette forum, so if any of you saw it there already, forgive me but I want lots of opinions.

I'm getting close to paying for my Corvette, which should arrive in about 1-2 weeks. Since I'm paying cash, I stopped by to get the final number so I can have a cashier's check ready.

On the final bill, there are a few "Extra" things that they recommend, but don't require. I thought I'd get your feedback

1 - Wheel/Tire insurance (they don't call in "insurance", but it is). $1,295.00
    - It covers 3 years (I think....maybe 5) where for a small deductible they will fix any damage to your wheels (curb rash, etc).

2 - Maintenance. $394.00. They said it covers the first six oil changes. This one seems like a no-brainer, but what do you think?

3 - Additional warranty. This isn't an extended warranty per se (though it can be), and it is a dealer-based thing. It covers all the same things as the standard warranty, but supposedly goes further and covers a lot more. It also covers all the electronics and radio and "high tech" stuff, which they said the standard warranty does not. I won't list all the things it covers, but it is basically $3000.

Anyway, between Georgia's Ad Velorem tax on new vehicles ($5,410.00), $895.00 "dealer administration fee", the PPF and paint protection I plan on getting, the bill is already at $91,410.00 before these charges. I'm willing to protect my car (since this is - for me - stupid money), but I also don't want to be doing the car equivalent of the "extended warranty" that you get for your stereo from Best Buy, which is rarely worth it.

Thanks Corvette Fam​

Congrats on getting close to drive time. It's your choice on 1 and 2 , but 3 I don't understand. You can get the actual GM extended warranty for around 2K only on delivery day. That's what I did - however was told several times that they did not do that - as they were trying to sell me one of their other warranty's which I hard passed on. As I was leaving suddenly they found out the Actual GM Warranty was available. The actual GM Warranty covers all radio electronics (everything) 5 year. I think they are pulling your chain saying the GM warranty does not. Who is the dealer?
    Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

Comment

So how does number 3 (extended warranty) work when you do a museum delivery ? Do they offer extra add ons ?
      thanks

Comment

I didn’t buy any of that stuff 2 years ago when I picked up my 2020 c8 z51.

I also did the ceramic coating myself with a friend when I got the car home. Took an hour or two and was super easy to do.

I don’t believe in putting ppf on my cars. I’m in the Ny tri state area must not have as many rocks and pebbles in the roads

im guessing some partsof the country have more pebbles in the roads and parking lots than we have here. If that’s the case then get ppf

my car looks as good as the day I brought it home two years later as my daily driver in the NY metro area.

I plan at 30 months of ownership to buy 48 months and 48k extra miles for 2 grand from McCaulkin Chevy a forum dealer.

good luck and in my opinion most of that stuff you listed is not IMO needed.

this is my fourth new corvette that I use as my daily driver and have daily driven them for over a quarter of a million miles.

most of us just pay cash for these cars . My opinion is at best do the extra two years of GM warranty for 2 grand when you pick up the car.

mosy if the other stuff again in my opinion is fluff

hope this helps and jmo
        Last edited by JB; 09-25-2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al View Post
          So how does number 3 (extended warranty) work when you do a museum delivery ? Do they offer extra add ons ?
          thanks
          I would think the same as you are going to sit at desk just the same as a dealer. I did not take delivery at the museum. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by BoilerUp4Life View Post
            I posted this in a different Corvette forum, so if any of you saw it there already, forgive me but I want lots of opinions.

I'm getting close to paying for my Corvette, which should arrive in about 1-2 weeks. Since I'm paying cash, I stopped by to get the final number so I can have a cashier's check ready.

On the final bill, there are a few "Extra" things that they recommend, but don't require. I thought I'd get your feedback

Thanks Corvette Fam
            Your questions are repeated with my answers to each one in turn in BOLD!

- It covers 3 years (I think....maybe 5) where for a small deductible they will fix any damage to your wheels (curb rash, etc).

Get the exact details in writing and study them first. Does it cover tires too? Any exclusions for road debris, etc? As to your wheels, we know you are going to nail down the length of time, but what if your wheel is bent beyond repair? Does it cover OEM replacement? What is that “small” deductible? Again what are ALL the exclusions. Many have bought wheel and tire insurance and already “paid themselves back” with just one blown wheel and tire.

2 - Maintenance. $394.00. They said it covers the first six oil changes. This one seems like a no-brainer, but what do you think?

One of those you know is covered by GM itself as part of your regular warranty, but still this one seems to be a good plan (as long as you do not move a ways away).

3 - Additional warranty. This isn't an extended warranty per se (though it can be), and it is a dealer-based thing. It covers all the same things as the standard warranty, but supposedly goes further and covers a lot more. It also covers all the electronics and radio and "high tech" stuff, which they said the standard warranty does not. I won't list all the things it covers, but it is basically $3000.

Anyway, between Georgia's Ad Velorem tax on new vehicles ($5,410.00), $895.00 "dealer administration fee", the PPF and paint protection I plan on getting, the bill is already at $91,410.00 before these charges. I'm willing to protect my car (since this is - for me - stupid money), but I also don't want to be doing the car equivalent of the "extended warranty" that you get for your stereo from Best Buy, which is rarely worth it.

Before you go their insurance route, call Dennis Fichtner ([email protected];(406) 698-6355) and Todd Sutherland @ MacMulkiin 603.888.1121( Ext 119). From each one in advance of talking with your dealer get apples versus quotes from both of them — for about 99% of the time they wallop your local dealership for a GM identical mileage and time duration warranty.

Not matter what the numbers are from a third party insurance company (even one offered by your selling dealer) runaway from that options for MANY reasons.

Best of luck and please do not buy 95% of whatever the finance person offers you for those items sold in his/her office at the very highest margin items a dealer ever sells, be it nitrogen in your tires @ $250, paint sealant, interior cabin protection, etc. ETc

2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, PBC, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
              Congrats on getting close to drive time. It's your choice on 1 and 2 , but 3 I don't understand. You can get the actual GM extended warranty for around 2K only on delivery day. That's what I did - however was told several times that they did not do that - as they were trying to sell me one of their other warranty's which I hard passed on. As I was leaving suddenly they found out the Actual GM Warranty was available. The actual GM Warranty covers all radio electronics (everything) 5 year. I think they are pulling your chain saying the GM warranty does not. Who is the dealer?
              The dealer is Hendrick's Chevrolet in Buford, GA.

Comment

Don't understand the value of getting an extended warranty from the dealer when the car already has a 3(?) or whatever year warranty. The extended warranty begins on day 1, and overlaps the original warranty. Why not wait 1-2 years (mileage permitting) THEN extend the warranty. I got my 'platinum' GM warranty (Ken Fichtner) about 2 1/2 years after I got my 2015 Z. I've used it twice. The warranty (transferable) expires in 2023, and I believe it will be a nice selling point when I sell it for my C8 Z06...assuming GM finally puts them out...soon???

Comment

The dealer is Hendrick's Chevrolet in Buford, GA.
                  Well we wish you the best. Hopefully you are getting the C8 at MSRP ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mogarian2 View Post
                    Don't understand the value of getting an extended warranty from the dealer when the car already has a 3(?) or whatever year warranty. The extended warranty begins on day 1, and overlaps the original warranty. Why not wait 1-2 years (mileage permitting) THEN extend the warranty. I got my 'platinum' GM warranty (Ken Fichtner) about 2 1/2 years after I got my 2015 Z. I've used it twice. The warranty (transferable) expires in 2023, and I believe it will be a nice selling point when I sell it for my C8 Z06...assuming GM finally puts them out...soon???
                    Whatever they may be calling your additional warranty - realize the actual GM Warranty is only available on delivery day. Other warranty's have exceptions and may not cover everything.
                    GM extended warranty coverage

As a GM customer, you have several extended warranty options through your dealership, including:
                    • An Extended Limited Warranty
                    • A Platinum Protection Plan
                    • Gap coverage
                    • Pre-paid maintenance (various levels)
                    • Tire and wheel protection (various levels)
                    • Appearance Guard
                    • XS Wear Lease Protection
                    • Advanced Lease Protection.

When you purchase a new GM vehicle, you can pay more to extend your limited warranty's coverage for two years or 20,000 - 24,000 miles, depending on the make of your vehicle.
                    Last edited by Frenzy36; 09-23-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

MHO inserted below:

How hard are you on wheels, historically? $1300 seems like a lot if it only covers repair, and not replacement. There are more than a few shops that will repair cosmetic damage at reasonable prices. For minor paint scrapes, the deductible will probably cover the repair. OTOH, IF you have a history of scraping your wheels frequently, maybe it's worth it to you. But if that's the case, make sure there's no limit on how many claims you can file. And if you might ever get aftermarket wheels, it won't cover those.

For tires, the coverage is likely pro-rated for mileage, so the longer you go without a problem the less they'll pay out. Also won't cover replacement tires when yours wear out.
                      One of the very few dealer add-ons that can be worthwhile. It insulates you from cost increases, and provides the dealer's service department a chance to upsell you. Things to consider: Is there a time or mileage limit on when you can use those 6 oil changes? If it's only good for, say, 3 years you may not get your money's worth. And make sure it covers the expensive 0W-40 Supercar oil, and not just generic Dexos in a drum. When the dealer tries to sell you some extra cost service, are you good at saying no? If you decide to go elsewhere for oil changes for whatever reason, your plan won't cover that.

Don't look t what it says it covers, look at what it EXCLUDES. And don't take the dealer's word for it. READ the CONTRACT. These usually have a ton of exclusions (like limiting the coverage for electronics to a relatively low total). They've already lied to you about the standard warranty, which absolutely covers electronics for 3 years / 36K. (And the drivetrain for 5/60K, emissions equipment for 8 years / 80K.

The reality is that during the first 3/36 they probably won't pay out anything. If anything goes wrong the factory warranty will most likely cover it. How many years / miles of extra coverage are you getting beyond 3 or 5 years for 3 grand? Who is the underwriter? Google the name of the policy and the underwriter and see what people say about them. Don't be surprised if there are a ton of complaints. And what happens if you don't like the dealer's service department, and choose to go somewhere else. You paid $3K for nothing. Service contracts rarely work out in the customer's favor. The money you save on covered repairs will probably be less than you paid for it. But if having longer coverage provides you peace of mind, I'd say stick with the Chevy Protection Plan (what used to be called GMEPP), and buy it from a guy names Dennis Fichtner (you can google him). You'll save a ton of money compared to the dealer. Even the Chevy Platinum plan has a ton of exclusions, though.

Thanks Corvette Fam​
                      Service contracts are pretty much just like the Best Buy warranty. There's a long thread that I'll try to find, but look at it this way: (1) The dealer makes a profit on the plan they sell you. In pre-COVID days, the profit on the warranty was often more than the profit on the car. (2) the underwriter that services the policy makes a profit on it. (3) the insurance company backing it makes a profit, even after paying out claims. It's like gambling. The house ALWAYS comes out ahead. A few players will win, but most will lose. You're betting you'll have a major problem, the insurance company is betting you won't. The odds that you'll use it enough to save $3,000 is slim, but if you have a major problem, and IF the company actually pays out, you'll be happy.

Here we go: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ended-warantee

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ended-warranty

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ded-warranties
                      Last edited by meyerweb; 09-23-2022, 12:35 PM.
                      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

Well we wish you the best. Hopefully you are getting the C8 at MSRP ?
                        Yes....MSRP. Not sure I would get one otherwise.

Comment

How about those car repair warranties? My son got one and the premiums were included in his car payment--don't remember the exact amount but I think the entire plan was about $1200 for the 4-year loan. He had to have a throttle body replaced on the 2014 Mustang 5.0 which was $750 but his deductible was $100 so that's all it cost him.
                          January 27, 2021 - Joined MECF
                          May 21, 2021 - deposit with Criswell
                          June 23, 2022 - allocation, but non-Z51 constraint forces deferral
                          July 14, 2022 - non-Z51 still on constraint, order deferred 2nd time
                          August 20, 2022 - GM accepts order, status 2000
                          August 26, 2022 - GM commits to building my C8, status 3000
                          September 12, 2022 - TPW 9/26, status 3300
                          September 22, 2022 - Status 3400, projected build date October 6

Live your best life now!

Comment

I can't speak to most of these as I have never purchased maintenance plans or extended warranties (after a warranty is up I do most of my own work, and I almost always do my own maintenance). I did however start purchasing the wheel and tire (W&T) plans, several cars prior to the C8 and also for my current C8. The wheel and tire depends on what is covered (see Johns post on these). I have used the plan to cover replacement of several tires on each of the vehicles where I purchased the W&T and in my experience it has always paid for itself (and then some).

When I had my BMW 6 series convertible (with M rims) I went through 3 rims and 5 tires during the warranty period (rims were replaced by OEM rims, they were severely damaged by potholes) and tires were replaced due to road hazards (pothole damage, nails, screws and even a piece of wood)...one replacement rim alone offset the cost of the package. On my current BMW X6 with M rims I have had one rim repaired (wife likes curbs) and 4 tires replaced they are 22" rims and the tires are pretty expensive, again this plan has paid for itself and additionally saved me several hundred dollars (maybe even a grand).
                            With the W&T on the Vette I have already had 2 tires replaced due to road debris. The plan hasn't paid for itself with only 2 tires replaced but I still have 3 years left on the W&T.

In my opinion the W&T (depending on where you live and what is covered) is a good idea. In Florida there is a lot of constant construction going on so road debris isn't uncommon (when I lived in NH I never had a road hazard take out a tire or rim).
                            My Tactics Instructor use to say "it doesn't matter what you carry....but you can never have enough ammo".

Cars: 2020 ELB 3LT Z51 (by far my favorite car that I have owned) 1973 Camaro RS RestoMod (LSX454) if I ever finish, 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT (was my Dad's car, lots of sentimental meaning), 2020 BMW X6 (fun SUV).

Comment

Originally posted by My1stVette View Post
                              How about those car repair warranties? My son got one and the premiums were included in his car payment--don't remember the exact amount but I think the entire plan was about $1200 for the 4-year loan. He had to have a throttle body replaced on the 2014 Mustang 5.0 which was $750 but his deductible was $100 so that's all it cost him.
                              Which means he was out $550. The repair didn't cost him $100, it cost him the $1200 he paid for the warranty PLUS the $100 deductible. It would only have cost him $750 without the warranty.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X