Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette: Meet NCM’s Director of Collections & Education Brian Baker

The National Corvette Museum continues to add A-List talent to their roster! On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to the new Director of Collections & Education at the Museum, Brian Baker. https://youtu.be/Soa0Cpikv3k; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...JQPOZZgm2OBhQ4. Brian has a rich working history with General Motors and actually was the designer of the SSR! Brian joined the NCM recently and has a wonderful vision of the future for the Museum. You'll hear all about that in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.

VISIT THE WEBSITE, LISTEN TO THE SHOW, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND SHOP IN THE MERCHANDISE STORE AT:
www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Your Lottery Z06 Christmas Present

Tired of waiting and want a long shot to get your Z06? I have two friends who between them have won three new Corvettes. Is this your Christmas self-present? https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...iversary-coupe. Might you be the third friend who wins a Corvette lottery by buying just one ticket? Of course still going to be many months until you are driving it, but if you win a heck of lot cheaper than your/my other plan.
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Railroad Strike, A request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railroad Strike, A request

It seems this forum has some good connections to the Corvette leadership team at GM, so maybe someone can pass this on? I came up with an idea last night when I heard about the railroad strike that may potentially happen. It would be nice for those that have been fortunate enough to get an allocation in this first round to have a post build option to do a NCM delivery should the strike prevent the car from shipping to the dealer.

Maybe someone on here can answer of how many Corvettes come by rail? My dealer is in San Antonio and In November my vette was built on Tuesday, delivered on Friday to my dealer by truck.

Comment

During COVID, GM stopped shipping by rail to the west coast, and started delivering Corvettes by truck everywhere. I haven't heard anything about them going back to rail, but that might not have gotten much notice. Last time I saw anything about deliveries, though, they were still shipping by truck. Maybe John knows.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

My concern is that “supply chain” will be affected. Any ideas on how dependent GM and suppliers are on trains?
        I’m goin’ driving 👍

Comment

Last month I went along the road that goes around BGA and I saw no evidence corvettes were being placed on railcars. In the railroad yard next to BGA , I saw bulk rail carriers and boxcars. BGA probably gets some materials from railcars.

Comment

Shipping by transporter truck has continued. At times in the past GM has resorted to all sorts of extreme measures to get some parts to the Plant including even air freight. Perhaps seeing the potential rail strike as a possibility way back over a month ago, GM similarly used alternative measures to get some key parts to BG during the last few weeks. They have teams of folks in “parts logistics” and have done and will do whatever they can do to work around the potential rail strike to the best that they can, that is IF there is one.

Remember the Taft-Harley act which was last used by George W Bush in 2002 to prevent a strike from causing major damage to the US economy. That act allows the President “to intervene in strikes or potential strikes that create a national emergency.” [Thanks Wiki.]

How many strikes do you know that we averted in the last hour before they started? If you are an astute following of such things, you know that a) that often happens, and b) that even when strikes occur, they are sometimes settled quickly. Sure this one may happen and it might not be settle quickly but perhaps the effects on our very tiny part of our world are managed or manageable.

2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, PBC, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Red C-8 of Jax View Post
              Last month I went along the road that goes around BGA and I saw no evidence corvettes were being placed on railcars. In the railroad yard next to BGA , I saw bulk rail carriers and boxcars. BGA probably gets some materials from railcars.
              C8s never left the plant by rail. The were trucked to a rail depot (St. Louis?) and loaded on rail cars there.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

When your build status goes to 3300 - Scheduled for Production, does BGA KNOW they have all the parts to build your Stingray? Is there some kind of parts "inventory in stock" assurance or do they assume that parts will be delivered in time to build your C8 during the Target Production Week?

Based on info we got recently about roofs not ready due to paint, it seems they don't know.

I'm curious because I have a TPW of 9/26 and hope any rail strike does not impact that date (although I believe a strike won't happen).
                2023 Stingray Coupe

Live your best life now!

Comment

I have only a small understanding of the Railway Labor Act, but I do know the general sequence of events leading up to “self help” (a strike). Airlines work under the provisions of the RLA. From an article online:

- If arbitration is rejected, the parties must maintain the status quo for a 30-day period. If the NMB determines that the dispute threatens "substantially to interrupt interstate commerce to a degree such as to deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service," the NMB shall notify the President, who may create a PEB to investigate the dispute for a 30-day period and issue non-binding recommendations for resolving the dispute. The parties typically agree to PEB requests for extensions of time to further study a dispute. The last stages of the conciliation procedures differ slightly for publicly funded and operated rail commuter carriers.
                  - While the dispute is working its way through these stages, and for an additional 30 days following the issuance of the PEB's report, the parties must maintain the status quo , and cannot utilize self-help measures. Although not specifically provided for in the RLA, the NMB typically works with the parties to try to induce a last-minute settlement or voluntary extension of the status quo.
                  - If, after the final 30-day status quo period has expired, a settlement has not been reached, the parties are free to resort to self-help and cannot be enjoined from doing so.​

The PEB (Presidential Emergency Board) was already appointed and made it’s report on 17 Aug, which started that 30 day clock. So at the expiration of that 30 days (this Friday?) the unions are free to strike if a settlement is not reached. The one other thing that could happen is that congress can vote to impose the recommendations that the PEB made, which would then become binding on both parties. So at this point there are 3 possible outcomes: (1) A settlement with new contracts (2) A strike by the unions, or, (3) A contract imposed by congress.

At least that’s how I understand it. If someone has different information, feel free to correct me. Probably more than you really wanted to know about the RLA anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                    During COVID, GM stopped shipping by rail to the west coast, and started delivering Corvettes by truck everywhere.
                    For the US that may have been true but in Canada, even during Covid, Corvettes were shipped by rail to most of the country. The exception being the part of southern Ontario closest to the Detroit border crossing, e.g. Windsor, London, St. Catherines, Toronto.

In my case the car went to the Toledo Ohio rail yard just as Covid was causing lockdowns and it sat there for a couple of months. Eventually GM and/or Canadian National railway figured out how to process the vehicles safely and my Vette continued on its journey, still by train.

Comment

My car is on a Jack Cooper truck headed for a Washington state courtesy dealer at this time, no railroads for the corvettes at this time.

Comment

We are in an industry that the major raw material can only be transported by rail. If we and all our competitors are shut down, it will impact every industry in the US; we believe the Government will intervene to avoid the strike.
                        I was on the CorvetteForum as SullyC5er.
                        Previous Corvette was 2001 convertible with a C5R-427 engine built by Corvette Fever / Norris Motorsports, with upgraded suspension, rear, tranny, brakes, wheels, & R-compound tires.

Comment

Originally posted by MDawg View Post
                          It seems this forum has some good connections to the Corvette leadership team at GM, so maybe someone can pass this on? I came up with an idea last night when I heard about the railroad strike that may potentially happen. It would be nice for those that have been fortunate enough to get an allocation in this first round to have a post build option to do a NCM delivery should the strike prevent the car from shipping to the dealer.
                          I don’t think that would be feasible.

Comment

A tentative deal has been reached. Check you favorite news source for information.
                            1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                            2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Please delete Brad66 if this shouldn’t be posted here ? https://www.aol.com/news/bidens-tigh...095612971.html
                              2022, 2LT Elkhart Blue ..

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X