Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette: Meet NCM’s Director of Collections & Education Brian Baker

The National Corvette Museum continues to add A-List talent to their roster! On this episode of CORVETTE TODAY, your host, Steve Garrett, introduces you to the new Director of Collections & Education at the Museum, Brian Baker. https://youtu.be/Soa0Cpikv3k; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...JQPOZZgm2OBhQ4. Brian has a rich working history with General Motors and actually was the designer of the SSR! Brian joined the NCM recently and has a wonderful vision of the future for the Museum. You'll hear all about that in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.

VISIT THE WEBSITE, LISTEN TO THE SHOW, WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO, JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP, SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AND SHOP IN THE MERCHANDISE STORE AT:
www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Your Lottery Z06 Christmas Present

Tired of waiting and want a long shot to get your Z06? I have two friends who between them have won three new Corvettes. Is this your Christmas self-present? https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...iversary-coupe. Might you be the third friend who wins a Corvette lottery by buying just one ticket? Of course still going to be many months until you are driving it, but if you win a heck of lot cheaper than your/my other plan.
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Top storage warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top storage warning

I was too casual with latching in my top in the trunk. The catches are very stiff, and I didn't always latch it in. For me the top is off much of the time, 8,000 ,miles plus. See photos of damage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	top 2.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	407648

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 1.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	407649 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk lid 1.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	407650 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk lid 2.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	407651
    Growing old is mandatory; growing Up is Optional

Sorry, this happened to you and thank you for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfryer
      These things happen.

Unless you do what I do with a 25 year old paint job and put hot tops in padded custom made cushion boxes stored under the bed, it will happen. Then again, every time I leave the house I have to watch the radar.
      House bed????? NFW. My car is a daily driver and I need the top with me.

The clearance is so tight, the top has to be in its holders. The holders hold the top tight, very tightly, so firm I have to use the palm of my hand to thump it hard. The latches aren't visible in photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasted60 View Post

House bed????? NFW. My car is a daily driver and I need the top with me.

The clearance is so tight, the top has to be in its holders. The holders hold the top tight, very tightly, so firm I have to use the palm of my hand to thump it hard. The latches aren't visible in photo.
        yes, the house bed, in custom made padded wood boxes, lol. That was my point, it’s going to happen unless you go through what I go through. I don’t daily drive that 1970 any more.

I deleted my post because it was edited for some reason by someone besides me. So, I’m guessing that when you quoted me, the point had been deleted is that few modern corvettes are really collectible and should be enjoyed.

either way, nothing stays new, the main thing is to drive and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfryer View Post
          I deleted my post because it was edited for some reason by someone besides me. So, I’m guessing that when you quoted me, the point had been deleted is that few modern corvettes are really collectible and should be enjoyed.

I thought I was going crazy! lol. Going back and forth through this thread looking for the post.
          Anyway, yes shiRt happens, but almost anything is repairable. When I forgot to clamp the roof after putting it on I bought a new one, got it painted and transferred all the components over to the new one and then as I was putting it on the car for the first time I hit the end of the garage door rail and scratched the new roof.
          I got over it and we still enjoy the car as much as we ever did. Now it has character and I'm not so an-al about it any more.
          BTW Fasted60 if you decide to get a new roof instead of painting it, the headliner is a real pain to transfer over. It does not come off easily, but everything else is a piece of cake.
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

I guess after seating it, it's always good to wiggle from both sides to make sure it's fully seated into both catches.

Comment

I have the painted and transparent roofs. I ordered the top bag with the car and has proven to be the best way to store the top not being used. Transparent is used during the Winter and early Spring be cause of the heat it creates in the cabin. When storing one of the tops in the trunk, it does take a healthy shove to snap in solid. I don't punch it, I just give it a forceful push with the heel of the hand. Make sure it's centered before locking it in. I have to admit I don't go topless very often. The street noise and buffeting at high speed doesn't appeal to me, plus I have to shut off the hearing aid in the ear thats to the outside, just too much noise. There I alluded to my age!!

Comment

Forgot to latch my C5's top once, got 40 miles before it flew off at 60mph. Just bought a new top.
                If it's latched in the trunk it's tight If off only by a 1/4 inch it won't latches. The chip doesn't show when the top is on the car, just in the trunk. Next service I'll have the dealer's mechanic look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasted60 View Post
                  The chip doesn't show when the top is on the car, just in the trunk.
                  What chip? The car knows nothing about the top AFAIK
                  Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                  3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
                    What chip? The car knows nothing about the top AFAIK
                    The PAINT chip in his targa top. The chip isn’t visible when the top is installed on the car, only when it is stored in the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

The PAINT chip in his targa top. The chip isn’t visible when the top is installed on the car, only when it is stored in the trunk.
                      LOL! I read it totally different! My bad. I thought there was a computer chip in the roof to tell the car it was in the trunk. (I wish it could tell if it wasn't latched)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfryer View Post

yes, the house bed, in custom made padded wood boxes, lol. That was my point, it’s going to happen unless you go through what I go through. I don’t daily drive that 1970 any more.

Corvettes are getting more Collectable by the day in these days of Gas cars going away!

Comment

Perhaps a bit of foam tape in the right spots on the engine bay hatch would be good insurance. I know I would be extra vigilant in snapping down the top, but you never know. I'll add this to my checklist to look into once my C8 is no longer imaginary...

Comment

Originally posted by Mach147 View Post
                            Perhaps a bit of foam tape in the right spots on the engine bay hatch would be good insurance. I know I would be extra vigilant in snapping down the top, but you never know. I'll add this to my checklist to look into once my C8 is no longer imaginary...
                            The clearance is so tight the tape might cause a problem. I will check with two dealers in my area the service a lot of C8 to get their options. The difference between latched and just in place isn't measurable to my eye.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X