Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #129 - Corvette News and Headlines, Early October 2022

Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger team up once again to bring you the most current and up-to-date information on Corvette. It’s the CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines show to start off October! https://youtu.be/NG7JwFGJf04; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...lUqQwp7DeopRJV
Here are some of the topics Steve and Keith will cover next week....
—The Bowling Green Assembly Plant ran a rare “2 shift Saturday” last weekend
--C8 Z06 embargo on driving impression ended last week
--Corvette’s average sale price is almost 20% over MRSP
--The 1st customer ordered Z06 was built last week
--Is Ford benchmarking the C8 Z06?
--Road & Track magazine is now testing the C8 Z06
--Detroit News readers name the C8 Corvette “Best in Show” at Detroit Auto Show
--The new “Driven By Design” exhibit opens at the NCM
CORVETTE TODAY is the only current podcast on Corvette! And our News & Headlines show continues to be your best source of Corvette news in the industry.
Visit the CORVETTE TODAY website, listen to the show, watch the YouTube video, shop in the Merchandise Store, sign up for weekly emails and join the Facebook Group at:
www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Z06 Auto-Media Testing Results & Impressions

This is our one thread: Thanks for putting all your posts within it: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...eviews-results
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Which speculative exhaust mods for the Z06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speculative exhaust mods for the Z06?

GM has taken their time to put together a great stock exhaust for the Z06, but there has to be ways to make the sound even more exotic, louder, etc. Do you think the solution would be changing the cats, res delete, x pipe, instead of messing with the muffler? Personally, I would like something incredibly loud and exotic sounding, but have close to zero drone. I have had enough drone with a past F-type Boral exhaust and my current S5 with AWE track exhaust (the S5 will continue to be my daily driver though).

I made the mistake, much to my neighbors dislike, of really opening up the exhaust side of my C5R-427. Loud is an understatement. Personally I am happy that I will be able to control that in my Z06. I think this time around, I will leave modifications to others.

Last edited by SullyC8er; 07-31-2022, 06:44 PM.
    I was on the CorvetteForum as SullyC5er.
    Previous Corvette was 2001 convertible with a C5R-427 engine built by Corvette Fever / Norris Motorsports, with upgraded suspension, rear, tranny, brakes, wheels, & R-compound tires.

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see what others come up with. Flat plane crank engines will be naturally louder to begin with. You will also be messing around with the backpressure needed on the valves at higher RPM in these engines.

I will be leaving mine alone as I am sure GM has done their homework to find the right formulation involving all of the variables.
      Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Originally posted by parlaygambler View Post
        GM has taken their time to put together a great stock exhaust for the Z06, but there has to be ways to make the sound even more exotic, louder, etc. Do you think the solution would be changing the cats, res delete, x pipe, instead of messing with the muffler? Personally, I would like something incredibly loud and exotic sounding, but have close to zero drone. I have had enough drone with a past F-type Boral exhaust and my current S5 with AWE track exhaust (the S5 will continue to be my daily driver though).
        There is no separate resonator or x-pipe on the mid engine's exhaust system. The only real ways to get more volume on the C8 are to replace everything from behind the cats, or to replace / eliminate the cats themselves.

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

No sure how companies like Novitec or other exhausts for flat plane Ferraris have altered their products to sound noticeably louder than stock? I would hope there are some viable choices...especially if the volume can really really dialed up in the higher rev ranges, so that it will still fit on on the streets for daily driving.

Comment

I expect it will pretty loud with the valves open in track mode. The Stingray is fairly loud, but most don't hear it in the cabin due to the car's design. It appears GM has changed it so the driver will share in the volume.

Cat delete or low restriction cats will be the easiest solution. Cat delete and replace with a bullet muffler (if the correct length can be found) for drone control may be another path. I did that in one of my camaros.

Frenzy36 Back pressure is the enemy of power. Back pressure prevents the cylinder from fully emptying and thus limits how much new air can get into the cylinder. The goal is to create scavenging, which is effectively acts like negative pressure.** The goal is to obtain good gas velocity to promote scavenging. At lower rpms, smaller diameter pipes often are better for maintaining the velocity, but cause a restriction (i.e., back pressure) at high rpms. Some incorrectly believe back pressure is used to gain torque in the low and mid range, but it is really that the exhaust manifolds and piping are often sized for low end torque for fuel economy and feel. When people switch to a performance exhaust system like headers to gain top end HP, the pipes are bigger diameter and the gas velocity slows in the low rpm range due to the extra volume. This in turn reduces scavenging at low rpms and causes a loss of torque at low rpms. In an ideal world, there would be variable exhaust piping that would adjust to maintain optimum scavenging from idle to red line.

** Before the engineers go nuts, let me state it's not really negative pressure because negative pressure does not exist. It's lower pressure. If the exhaust manifold is at lower pressure than the cylinder, it will suck the exhaust gas out of the cylinder. Sorta a vacuum cleaner for the cylinder.
            2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Member, Old Dominion Corvette Club https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

From hearing a Z06 cold start and a some revs at a Dealer Marketing Event, I’m happy to leave it completely stock. Both the tone and the volume seemed about right and I’m getting tired of the aggravation and expense of experimenting with different exhaust set ups.

At one point, I had an Akrapovic titanium set up with no mufflers on my GT3 until I came to the realization that things had gotten out of hand. Best sounding car I’ve ever owned below 4K, deafening from 4-7K and completely excruciating between 8-9K. I finally swapped it out because my headaches were lasting longer than my drives and my neighbors were giving me the look.

Comment

To the OP, unless you have heard it from standing right behind it at full revs as I have, hard to described how wonderful it already sounds. I have yet to hear a single start up video be 1/10 as nice as it is in the real word. The track videos especially the following one as a close as we are going to get at this time.

As to mods one can do, GM had their best sound engineers work on the LT6’s exhaust for two full years, so good luck to the aftermarket. While I normally enjoy speculating when it is labeled as such (as you did), I am not considering any changes to my LT6’s exhaust after that one glorious blast of exhaust cacophony that I heard. I have had four different aftermarket exhausts, all from top five Corvette exhaust companies, and while I normally change my Corvette exhausts (so far 80% of the time), not changing my C8 Z06’s. It is that good.

Can someone make it louder? I am sure of that by eliminating the muffler entirely,. But what about consequent drone when one does so.
                2023 Z06: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, PBC, E60, and with every visible carbon fiber option including wheels. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I'll be "modifying" my RHD / export from corner to centre exhaust and getting rid of the GPF's....apparently there's a great exhaust company called GM that will be able to assist along with a nice MECF member 😁

Comment

I have no doubt there will be multiple aftermarket exhausts available, just as there are for the C8 Stingray. Some will be very high quality, some will be ****. Some will actually improve performance, albeit slightly, some will just add noise, and some will be so poorly designed they'll actually reduce performance. Just like the Stingray, the first ones on the market will be from companies that just bend some tubing to fit, slap on a pair of "mufflers" that are nothing more than a bulge in the pipe, and do zero testing. Others, like Borla, will spend the time and R&D to design a system that really works, that works with the OEM valve controllers, and that doesn't produce a ton of heat underneath the plastic trunk and bodywork.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

The thunderous sound of that development car at the Ring is just fantastic. Much like at Monza, the exhaust sounds seem to hang in the trees. That video makes me extremely anxious to get my Z06. Cheers!

Comment

I plan on a set of high flow cats, then call it a day for the exhaust setup.

Comment

John, If I may ask did you change the exhaust on your C8 and if so what did you go with?
                          2LT, Silver Flare coup, Adrenaline Red, Mag ride, Front lift, Stek roof wrap, Aerolarri Brushed Aluminum wheels, AMG front splitter, Scrape Armor splitter guard, ACS engine cover, American Car Craft Engine dress up kit.

Comment

11ZSenator, Can you tell us who is going to modify the exhaust from corner to center Please.
                            2LT, Silver Flare coup, Adrenaline Red, Mag ride, Front lift, Stek roof wrap, Aerolarri Brushed Aluminum wheels, AMG front splitter, Scrape Armor splitter guard, ACS engine cover, American Car Craft Engine dress up kit.

Comment

The z06 exhaust does not have a cross over pipe. The header > cat > valved path > muffled path is the single path. The car sounds loud already since the valve bypasses the muffler when open.

However a non-muffled x-pipe cross over tuned to the right length would increase the high pitch note and create minimal noise increase compared to open valves.

Changing cats will be expensive and risk an non tunable CEL.

If I modify anything, it will be an x-pipe exhaust like the system on my F430 - S-lineSound Ferrari F430 | S-Line Sound

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X