Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Two Black Z06’s Spotted In Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John
    replied
    Yes, aerodynamics. Secondly as noted by Alex MacDonald, VPE, as a GM vehicle it must meet every single GM standard, including such things as fording a certain depth of water, being able to drive though a certain height of snow, etc. Every vehicles design is a compromise. We get all around capabilities most sports car do not have.

Nicely we as owners will have five different ways of addressing/reducing wheel gap in our Corvettes (all identified in my post # 11 above). I will be doing one of them but except for the last one I would never do (the coil cutting method), not sure yet which one I would use.

Leave a comment:

• jackfrostpdx
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post

Sorry I can not help you. When Alex was responding to why my specific question of how could I lower my Z06
    Has Alex or any other GM engineer ever addressed why the corvette ships with such a large wheel gap?

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Originally posted by poor-sha View Post

So the control arms are the same too? Does the extra width (track) just come from larger wheels and tires?

just curious since we know folks have been putting much wider tires in the C8 SR.
    Sorry I can not help you. When Alex was responding to why my specific question of how could I lower my Z06, he was definitely not endorsing my question/plan but answering it factually when he said the two suspensions systems are designed the same (SR and & Z06), so that if I were to choose to do what others have done with front lowering collars when equipped with E60 I could do that. Again I am stressing he was neither recommending I lower my Z06 nor saying that GM endorses my thinking. As to sizing we did not get into that; he was just saying that the Z06 did not have a new, nor unique suspension configuration — though as above he discussed that bushings, springs and MSRP software are all different. Are the control arms the same length, strength, and/or made of the identical steel were all questions I neither asked nor did he respond.

Leave a comment:

• C8Zeb06
    replied
    Originally posted by Paragon Performance View Post

We're just patiently waiting to get our Z06/07, then we'll start tearing it apart to make parts for you all 😁
    Perhaps you could manufacture a key lock cylinder for the rear hatch?

Leave a comment:

• poor-sha
    replied
    I confirmed with Vehicle Performance Manager Alex MacDonald that the Z06 and the Z07 use the same suspensions systems as do the standard C8 and the C8 Z51 (exceptions of course spring rates, bushing hardness, MSRC software, and those non-metallic parts).
    So the control arms are the same too? Does the extra width (track) just come from larger wheels and tires?

just curious since we know folks have been putting much wider tires in the C8 SR.

Leave a comment:

• Paragon Performance
    replied
    Originally posted by shifter25j View Post

so would it be safe to say that someone like paragon performance could come up with a lowering spring for the Z06/07 package soon to the release or would the normal testing applications have to be done?
    We're just patiently waiting to get our Z06/07, then we'll start tearing it apart to make parts for you all 😁

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    I confirmed with Vehicle Performance Manager Alex MacDonald that the Z06 and the Z07 use the same suspensions systems as do the standard C8 and the C8 Z51 (exceptions of course spring rates, bushing hardness, MSRC software, and those non-metallic parts).

Leave a comment:

• shifter25j
    replied
    Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
    Hopefully the lowering collars for the stingray will work on the Z06. I’m thinking lowering same as Stingray, but wheel spacers to achieve what the wider/larger diameter wheels did for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E8E1371-BBD0-450B-BDA6-8C57ECEAEA21.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	388489
    I don’t see why the collars wouldn’t work. I would think that it is the same lift system on the Z06. It’s the springs that I’m curious about changing.

Leave a comment:

• shifter25j
    replied
    That is my assumption— except I would temper your word “soon.” They might not even get their Z06 until ____??? I would also check into Cicio Performance. Both are top quality MECF vendors.
    I used the cicio collars on my 2020 stingray that I no longer have. Just when I lowered the rear they told me I could not go any lower by spanning. Thus I would like to get a lowering spring instead of doing it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Meldoon
    replied
    Hopefully the lowering collars for the stingray will work on the Z06. I’m thinking lowering same as Stingray, but wheel spacers to achieve what the wider/larger diameter wheels did for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E8E1371-BBD0-450B-BDA6-8C57ECEAEA21.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	388489

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    That is my assumption— except I would temper your word “soon.” They might not even get their Z06 until ____??? I would also check into Cicio Performance. Both are top quality MECF vendors.

Leave a comment:

• shifter25j
    replied

MagRide is enhanced on the Z06, but expertly that that may have nothing to do with wheel gap. As to spring rates they are stiffer for sure on the Z06, both the Z06 and the Z07 versions.

Per Z06 Vehicle Performance Manager Alex MacDonald, the Z07’s are 15% spring rate stiffer than on the Z06, though the perceived “seat ride stiffness” is only 8% stiffer on the Z07 than the Z06.

The Z06’s springs are I believe 35% stiffer than the standard Stingray’s; I do not remember how much stiffer the Z51’s — though they are definitely stiffer than it too.

As to wheel gap, each Z06 owner is going to have six choices, love it and or live with it as is; use wheel spacers that give perceived lesser wheel gap; get front lowering collars if you chose the E60 front lift option; rotate your shock shackles if you did not select E60 use reduced height aftermarket springs, or lastly the disastrous last one of cutting a coil or more off of OEM springs.

ERGO five choices even if you do not want to “live with OEM wheel gap.”
    so would it be safe to say that someone like paragon performance could come up with a lowering spring for the Z06/07 package soon to the release or would the normal testing applications have to be done?
    Last edited by shifter25j; 07-02-2022, 05:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Reminder from the C7 generation, we again expect that the Z07 will be tougher to reduce its actual wheel gap than the Z06 due to its stiffer springs.

I would guess there is a 2/3’s chance that as I am getting E60, that I would either get spacers or a combo or lowering collars and rotating the rear shock shackles. BUT, I am going to live with it, drive it thousands of miles first, and see what natural suspension settling does before I decide for ours.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Reminder from the C7 generation, we again expect that the Z07 will be tougher to reduce its actual wheel gap than the Z06 due to its stiffer springs.

I would guess there is a 2/3’s chance that as I am getting E60, that I would either get spacers or a combo or lowering collars and rotating the rear shock shackles. BUT, I am going to live with it, drive it thousands of miles and see what suspension settling does before I decide for ours.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Originally posted by shifter25j View Post
    has anyone taken notice of the wheel gap on the Z06? is it about the same as the stingray's? on my 2020 which i no longer have i dropped 1". kind of wish i would have done 3/4" instead. also, if memory serves the new MagRide on Z06 has an FE7 suspension. is there any difference between stingray MagRide and Z06 MagRide? this question is in regards to spring rates on the Z06.
    MagRide is enhanced on the Z06, but expertly that that may have nothing to do with wheel gap. As to spring rates they are stiffer for sure on the Z06, both the Z06 and the Z07 versions.

Per Z06 Vehicle Performance Manager Alex MacDonald, the Z07’s are 15% spring rate stiffer than on the Z06, though the perceived “seat ride stiffness” is only 8% stiffer on the Z07 than the Z06.

The Z06’s springs are I believe 35% stiffer than the standard Stingray’s; I do not remember how much stiffer the Z51’s — though they are definitely stiffer than it too.

As to wheel gap, each Z06 owner is going to have six choices, love it and or live with it as is; use wheel spacers that give perceived lesser wheel gap; get front lowering collars if you chose the E60 front lift option; rotate your shock shackles if you did not select E60 use reduced height aftermarket springs, or lastly the disastrous last one of cutting a coil or more off of OEM springs.

ERGO five choices even if you do not want to “live with OEM wheel gap.”

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X