MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

C8, will it also have the Ackerman effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centerpunch
    The whole brilliant concept of Ackerman geometry is that it has almost no effect at small steering angles (by definition, high speed turns are at small steering angles), and noticeable effect only at large steering angles (u-turns, maneuvering in parking lots, etc.).

Corvette track (distance between centers of left and right tires) is about 5 feet. Cornering around a skidpad of 200 feet radius, the inside wheel is traveling around a 200 foot radius, and the outside wheel is traveling around a 205 foot radius. That's only a 2.5% difference, pretty minimal.

But around a tight 20 foot radius circle, the outside wheel is traveling around a 25 foot circle- a 20% difference.
    Thanks centerpunch. I love learning new info. Welcome to the forum!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I changed over to Michelin all season tires on both my C7s....problem solved. I'm hearing the base C8 will also have all seasons, so hopefully not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Google is your friend. There are quite a few articles about it, although I don't know if any go into the detail you're looking for. But it's really pretty simple. The inside tire turns a tighter radius than the outside tire. If both tires are turned an equal amount, one of them is going to scrub.
        Yes, but you are my Guru <wink>
        What I am asking is why NOT using the Ackerman principal helps cornering on the track?

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
          Read an article in one of the car rags (sorry, can't remember which one and left it on an airplane yesterday)
          the steering vector will be variable at slower speeds.
          Thats a huge technological step. Anyone know which magazine?

Comment

Originally posted by L79 View Post
            I changed over to Michelin all season tires on both my C7s....problem solved. I'm hearing the base C8 will also have all seasons, so hopefully not a problem.
            GM announced that there will be no front end shuddering on the C8.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

GM announced that there will be no front end shuddering on the C8.
              Yes, and you can hear it from Tadge himself, at 25:00 in this video:
              Upcoming Vette:
              '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status on December 27, 2019, 3000 Status on January 2, 2020, TPW of March 16, 2020

Current Vettes:
              '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
              '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
              '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                Yes, and you can hear it from Tadge himself, at 25:00 in this video
                Didn't watch it but thats good news. Gonna miss Mr Ackerman. Bet its got lots to do with all season tires. Good job there.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post

4. The twisting and resultant torque loading across the tread when turning a wide tire at low speed. When the distorted tire patch load gets to critical, the tread unloads this distortion, and that unloading it what you hear. It’s snapping back to shape.
                  This explanation, I can visualize.

If the front tires are free wheeling.

the bach has a diff
                  Last edited by SheepDog; 08-31-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X