Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today Show: Every Corvette Owner Has Corvette Stories, This Time MECF’s John Elegant Talks With Steve Garrett

If you frequent CORVETTE TODAY, you know I always say that, "Every Corvette owner has a story!” My guest on this show has 60 years worth of Corvette stories! John Elegant (the main man on MidEngineCorvetteForum.com) shares some of his best memories and Corvette stories with us, from the effect of seeing his first Corvette had on him to his first Corvette purchase, to Harlan Charles and Tadge Juechter stories! https://youtu.be/MDjY2BnWXtw ; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...SlgJdENwCCbyLa This is part # 1 of John’s Corvette stories. Have a Kleenex handy too-his last story will bring tears to your eyes! See what I mean when I say, "Every Corvette owner has a story" on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY
2 of 4 < >

Welcome HorsePower Obsessed & BlackOut Tinting As Our New MECF Vendor

Led by Justin at HorsePower Obsessed and his many YT videos, bet quite a few of you just became aware his co-ownership of several BlackOut Tinting Shops carrying XPEL, great window tinting and many more servces. WELCOME [email protected]/BlackOut Tinting! Find HPO on their YT channel @ HorsePower Obsesed, BlackOut Tinting @ https://blackoutempire.com/
3 of 4 < >

Find out your C8’s Order Status by asking!

Information provided to MidEngineCorvetteForum members, and with great thanks to Corvette Ed for answering your inquiry requests in our sticky’d “The C8 Order Inquiry Status Thread” in our “Purchasing Section.”https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...inquiry-thread
4 of 4 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

No emergency access lock for hatch / trunk in 2023 C8s?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is no temporary parts shortage, this is planned and by design. These pics are from the 2020 and the 2023 C8 owners manuals. This is borderline irresponsible on GMs part. There have been multiple electric latch failures. Since they already have a mechanical override in the trunk with the child safety handle, a second cable to the interior would be super simple and no 3" hole saw drilling through the car destroying lots of stuff along the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 C8 key.png
Views:	285
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	385291
    From the 2020 owners manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 C8 key.png
Views:	265
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	385292

From the 2023 owners manual.

Comment

This is one of the dumbest changes I've ever seen on a production car. Electronic stuff ALWAYS fails in time. The future NCRS manuals for +2023 will have a section guiding the judges to "look out for signs of a hole in the trunk lid"

Comment

Originally posted by 11ZSenator View Post
        This is one of the dumbest changes I've ever seen on a production car. Electronic stuff ALWAYS fails in time. The future NCRS manuals for +2023 will have a section guiding the judges to "look out for signs of a hole in the trunk lid"
        But GM (nor any other car company except maybe Ferrari and the like) isn't really focused on building future classics. 30 years from now most of today's cars will be unusable because of electronics failures and no replacement parts. If the cable controlling the heater on your 67 vette dies, you can make your own replacement. Companies can even cast replacement connecting rods and pistons if there are enough people will to pay for them. No ones going to be able to make a replacement BCM that interfaces with our C8's other computers.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I suspect you are completely correct.

However, clever people in the future could easily find some way to strip all of the GM unobtainium out of the car, and make something that looks just like a present-day C8 work. Of course, that all depends upon how well it stands the test of time and whether it becomes considered a classic. That is very unpredictable.

Anything reminding folks of ICE vehicles could be considered pure evil by folks 50 years from now, as they become a symbol of what their predecessors did to the planet.

Comment

I get it that they believe the frunk area to be a critical since that's where the battery resides (so they have a safety cable release), but not including a safety cable release for the trunk leads to massive damage to to car in the event of electric latch failure. OK, so the battery isn't there, it's not like you never need to access your engine or trunk. This is a huge flaw in their logic. All it takes is a bit of corrosion on a connector and it's done.

Comment

Funny as I remember when I had my Ferrari 308 GTB one of the biggest fears was having the release cable break for the rear hood/engine cover. Ferrari's only option was to drill a hole in the tail light destroying it to get at the latch mechanism and there were two of them. I shuttered having to find and pay for a new tail light. At least here the license plate would cover the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
                Funny as I remember when I had my Ferrari 308 GTB one of the biggest fears was having the release cable break for the rear hood/engine cover. Ferrari's only option was to drill a hole in the tail light destroying it to get at the latch mechanism and there were two of them. I shuttered having to find and pay for a new tail light. At least here the license plate would cover the hole.
                Think maybe you need to re read the instructions.
                There is a madness to my method!
                C8 on order Torch/Adrenaline Z51, MSRC, front lift
                2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by Phil1098 View Post
                  I get it that they believe the frunk area to be a critical since that's where the battery resides (so they have a safety cable release), but not including a safety cable release for the trunk leads to massive damage to to car in the event of electric latch failure. OK, so the battery isn't there, it's not like you never need to access your engine or trunk. This is a huge flaw in their logic. All it takes is a bit of corrosion on a connector and it's done.
                  Agree. Now that we know that the lock cylinder on pre-23MY cars actuates a cable release without electronics, I think this decision is going to backfire badly even though most folks won't be affected. It may be cost-effective for GM to replace hole-drilled trunk panels rather than equip all cars with the lock cylinder, but from a reputational standpoint, it's dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
                    At least here the license plate would cover the hole.
                    I believe one is suppose to drill into the trunk lid to the right of the stingray emblem.
                    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                    3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

That is correct. The entire trunk lid will have to be replaced and repainted.

Drilling into the trunk lid is the only way to access the cable release starting in MY23, whereas the lock cylinder previously provided a means of mechanical cable release.
                      Last edited by Foosh; 06-20-2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Obtuse decision to delete the manual lock creates an opportunity for an aftermarket solution...someone's probably already looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Foosh View Post
                          That is correct. The entire trunk lid will have to be replaced and repainted.

Drilling into the trunk lid is the only way to access the cable release starting in MY23, whereas the lock cylinder previously provided a means of mechanical cable release.
                          I find this utterly ridiculous. If anyone has a contact or knows someone with GM or Chevy who can get an answer/explanation on this please let us know.

Comment

I strongly suspect we'll hear more about this as time goes by. We'll know the message has gotten through if lock cylinders resume or some other means of access (such as a cable release hidden behind the back seat) mysteriously appears.

Comment

^^^
                              There is ample evidence that GM / Corvette team personnel pay attention to this and other forums. I suspect they thought this change wouldn't be noticed, and wouldn't really be an issue for owners for very many years, if ever. I suspect they're a bit surprised by the publicity and reaction it's generated. It will be interesting to see if there's any reaction from GM, public or otherwise.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

The fact they already have a cable release for it (child safety inside the trunk) means all they have to do is run a second cable to the interior into the secured area. If I had one of these and they walked up to my car with a 3" hole saw that to repair, required a whole new hatch, paint that matches, gaps correct, etc. and then it would never be the same. Upset doesn't put into perspective how I would be.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X