MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Chazcron Driveway Walk-Around Videos! C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

Next Big Mystery: When? The C8 Flatplane Crank Reveal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB View Post
    I still dont think gm can quell the vibrations of a flat plane crank with a displacement above 4.2 liters.

if gm goes larger it will have a cross plane crank...
    Has it ever been done successfully at bigger displacement. Over 4.5, the Ferrari 458 was 4.5. How is the GT 350 on reliability? Is the jury still out. IO assume that Ford's test people tried to break it and failed up to 200/300K. Would assume.

Have read that the stroke, long stroke, associated with larger displacement is the crux of the vibration problem. May be some one could get a bigger bore to up the displacement. But engine science is complex. simplicity and reliability are partners in happy motoring. The reciprocating mass is expotentially a factor as the RMP go up. But Corvette has smart engine guys. And GM has been known to break new ground.
    Last edited by SheepDog; 05-31-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

OH. Think maybe there is at least one special success story of large displacement FPC: Koenigsegg

5.0 L twin-turbocharged V8 engine
      maximum power output of 1,360 PS (1,000 kW; 1,341 hp)
      at 7,500 rpm and
      1,371 N⋅m (1,011 lb⋅ft) of torque
      at 6,000 rpm.

THINK THIS IS A FPC at 5 L

But need to check that it is FPC.

What ever it is, GM should get one and Xerox it.

Last edited by SheepDog; 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

He does work some engineering magic.......😎
        The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

People.....people....people if you read the tea leaves the way I do you will see that GM is not going to build so many different engines. The LT2 engine; word has it; will be have DOHC's.... that will be IMHO the base engine at the generally agreed (????) 530hp & $65k - $72k price tag.The next level up would be the GT Touring (???) @ approx. 600hp & $78k - $84k . Then the Zora will ring in at approx. 600HP + 230hp frm elec @ $92 - $110K . The ZR-1 will still be the king of the hill with +900hp @ $140k - $180k. Take this with the proverbial grain of salt because it is all my personal opinion derived from multiple sources. Curious what others think....

Comment

530HP. ( or More ) DOHC LT2 in the “ Base C8 “ ? YES YES YES ‼️, Sounds great to me.

Comment

I am not confident that the LT2 will generate as much as 530 HP; and strongly feel that there will be no other other motor other than the 16V, OHV LT2 for the first year of the C8.

At the same time, I hope I totally wrong on both.
              Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

530 HP With or Without DOHC is Easily attainable. I’ll be disappointed if it Doesn’t have Atleast 530HP.

Comment

Originally posted by majic1980 View Post
                  530 HP With or Without DOHC is Easily attainable. I’ll be disappointed if it Doesn’t have Atleast 530HP.
                  It is attainable but risky for production car. The compression needs to rise and the timing need to change. Both of these are recipe for disaster with detonation if you got bad gas in a hot & humid day if you punch it.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    I am not confident that the LT2 will generate as much as 530 HP; and strongly feel that there will be no other other motor other than the 16V, OHV LT2 for the first year of the C8.
                    I agree. They are changing so much with the C8 -- new chassis and body, new suspension, new electrical system and more. Adding a brand new or heavily modified engine to the mix dramatically increases the possibility of problems for first year buyers. Stick with a modest evolution of the LT1 and at least one big portion of the car is under control. When the C8 has had a year of real world usage and things are well in hand, then proceed with a spiffy new engine, maybe for a Z-06 type model.

GM has done similar model roll-outs with previous gen Vettes.

My prediction: an LT2 with similar architecture to the LT1 but a bit of a boost in power. Maybe 500 tops, maybe a bit less. That would be more than enough to keep me entertained.

Comment

By time we get a 500+ LT2, a DCT, and having the roughly 58% of the car weight on the rear wheels (much better traction), I am imaging acceleration will feel super powerful. Might even feel as strong as my Z06 on an average day — because unless it is a hot day, with also hot tires, I am almost continuously throttle modulating the power for my Z.

We did an earlier poll and those who responded, had an average 0-60 time of 3.4 seconds for the entry C8.
                      Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        I believe for a proper flat plane crank displacement can not go above 4.2 liters.
                        The Ferrari 430 (4308cc), California (4297cc) and 458 (4499cc) would all disagree with you.

Ford's issues (which I don't believe are really THAT widespread) have to be down to something other than just displacement. Maybe Ferrari is able and willing to spend more on materials to have a lighter weight assembly and that makes a huge difference.

The biggest thing I'd think the purist will find issue with when it comes to a FPC engine is the lower end torque is not the same. Personally, I like that, I like the screamers.

Comment

Thanks dweaver! I wonder what the General has in store for us in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

The 60s Ford GTs had had the "ball of snakes" headers that were intended to mimic the sound of a flatplane crank shaft by evening out the exhaust pulses on the left and right . So Ford at that time appreciated the shriek.
                            Ford didn't do that for the sound. They did it for evening out the exhaust pulses on the left and right (and improving cylinder scavenging).

Comment

My thoughts on Ford's reported issues with vibration: I think the point someone made earlier about the engine being in the wrong car is the root cause. I think the "vibration issue" is all down to how people are used to driving Mustangs (and by extension, a Corvette if it gets a FPC). Think about it, Americans are used to large displacement, low RPM torque engines in vehicles like the Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette. If you drive a FPC car around, lugging the engine at 1300 RPM, you are going to feel it.

Conversely, Ferrari owners (yup, even the American ones) are more open to the idea of using some RPMs and letting the engine rev more. I haven't heard of Voodoos shaking themselves apart, but I have heard of people complaining about vibration, and it's probably all down to their expectations of a V8's feel and how they are driving it.

The oil consumption issue, that's a completely different story.

Comment

Whatever and however the Ford GT engineered their GT’s exhaust, it sure does not cut it IMO as to its sound. We need exhaust music, not a flat sound.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X