Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

List of C8 Servicing Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of C8 Servicing Tools

We earlier saw the list of two avenues that a dealer needed between to follow to become GM authorized to sell C8’s. Each path required the purchase of specific C8 servicing tools.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...s-requirements

Many of us were nicely surprised that the list of tools required for a Chevy dealership to purchase was truly the paltry amount of just $1,454

Thanks to Mike Davenport, aka “Chevy Dude,” we now have seen the specific tool list, and it only totals $1,454. Interesting to review them one by one. The most expensive one, a tool we expected to be on it, is a specialized “transmission support/service feature” (a cradling jack) — for one sure would not want to take a chance using an older one, then needing putting a 2”x4” here or a piece of plywood there to makeshift try to keep it secured, i.e., a DCT transaxle is a costly piece. Also required for such work is the $57 “support mount transmission table.” Lastly and relatedly, is the $200 “engine support fixture adapter.” All of these things we are not surprised to see for servicing a mid engine vehicle.

New Special Tools For Next Generation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5BC48206-A5DB-4FE4-8DDC-1AF9CE3FA947.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	37790

As we earlier discussed, having such a small list of specialized tools, says to many of us that GM spent a lot of time insuring the mid engine C8 is a serviceable vehicle.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Good to know. Very few special tools.

Comment

Many seem related to the DCT and/or mid engine configuration.

Pity the owner whose car requires the use of most/all of the tools!!

Comment

Not a big deal compared to the tools already in most mechanics tool box’s and the investment already made. I’ll buy this set for my shop.
        3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Does the chevy dealership pay for these specialized tools or does a gm technician pay for these new required tools?

Gm tends to do excellent research and development to keep warranty labor costs relatively low through specifically engineering the service portion of their vehicles to a much greater degree than the europeans..

Does anybody know of any dealership dropping the 20 grand for a c8 weekend show which honestly sounds kind of expensive ...(option two)

I wonder if the chevy regional managers are set a target for having their region do option one and option two for their dealers to sell corvettes..

Comment

Great questions. The dealership will buy one set of C8 tools, and then they are used by their diff Corvette Techs. Exception of course for the biggest
            Corvette servicing dealers who might buy two, three or even more sets of them. Or they might buy one complete set, then purchase duplicates of the cheaper tools that they would use more often.

I have not heard but one dealership other than Denny Menholt who has stated in writing who is going to bring a C8/C8 display to their dealership. However, I am sure that their will be other, large dealerships who similarly do at least one day, $16K program.

Have not a clue about your last question.
            Last edited by John; 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Comforting to know.

Comment

Good news, makes one feel much better about service costs. Unless of course they have to use the lift to do routine maintenance.
                There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

Confirmation no C8 leaf springs, but instead adjustable springs/shocks. Re-reviewing the list of the C8 servicing parts above, seeing one part called a “Strut Compressor Adapter” ($175), it is again good to have further confirmation, unlike Corvettes for the past 55 years which have had transverse leaf springs, that we for sure are getting shocks/springs. HOORAY!

Of course these earlier leaked CAD pictures got us initially seeing this massive change in the C8’s suspension from the C7’s composites (and in fact all the way back until 1963 when the C2 introduced those composite leafs).

Click image for larger version  Name:	0BD474E8-A49A-4115-A213-C161BB9BA736.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	172.5 KB ID:	37980

Click image for larger version

Name:	04831EF5-ABA7-4516-86A4-7A147598B068.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	37982

Comment

Interesting on whether your local dealer will have the tools necessary for the Corvette. I'm not sure that all dealers will have the Corvette tools in their inventory. Here is why I say that:

My local dealer has always treated me well in the service dept, I had to have my nav screen replaced, as well as the tensioner pulley and a couple of other things with no problems. Then I mistakenly took my C7 to a friend's shop that aligns the local track cars that go to VIR etc for an alignment. Big mistake, as they didn't have the proper tools to do the rear caster alignment. The car became "squirrely" to say the least. So I go to my local dealer for a factory alignment, and they don't have the tools either. No dealer in my area has the tools! I'm thinking ... WTH??? I went online and found out a lot of people have had this problem, and that Chevy does in fact have the tools and dealers can have them over-nighted to them for a car that needs an alignment. I was on my way to the dealer with that info in hand, and they called me to say they can get the tools as I described above. All good.

So maybe the C8 specific tools will be in inventory, but if not, Chevy may do what they did with the C7 ... I dunno.

Comment

Our facility, Wallace Chevrolet in Stuart, FL plans on participating as long as it is before the Reveal. Seems to be consensus that if after that date is it necessary?

Comment

The GM program of visiting dealers with a C8 for $16K (one day), $25K (two days) will be after 7.18.19. The tool purchase/Spring Mountain attendance for training requirement will also be after the reveal. There is a block of time Sept 9th-18th in which there are no typical Corvette Owner School classes, so maybe the Spring Mountain dealership training would be then.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytinvab View Post
                          Interesting on whether your local dealer will have the tools necessary for the Corvette. I'm not sure that all dealers will have the Corvette tools in their inventory. Here is why I say that:

My local dealer has always treated me well in the service dept, I had to have my nav screen replaced, as well as the tensioner pulley and a couple of other things with no problems. Then I mistakenly took my C7 to a friend's shop that aligns the local track cars that go to VIR etc for an alignment. Big mistake, as they didn't have the proper tools to do the rear caster alignment. The car became "squirrely" to say the least. So I go to my local dealer for a factory alignment, and they don't have the tools either. No dealer in my area has the tools! I'm thinking ... WTH??? I went online and found out a lot of people have had this problem, and that Chevy does in fact have the tools and dealers can have them over-nighted to them for a car that needs an alignment. I was on my way to the dealer with that info in hand, and they called me to say they can get the tools as I described above. All good.

So maybe the C8 specific tools will be in inventory, but if not, Chevy may do what they did with the C7 ... I dunno.
                          In order to have a dealer sell a single C8, GM will be enforcing the requirement that dealership have the C8’s $1,454 tool set in hand. That could be easily done within their WorkBench Connect ordering system, i.e., unless a dealer has purchased those required C8 tools, no order would go beyond status 1100 (not be accepted for production).

My belief is that the rear caster tool was not one of the tools GM required for C7 sales/servicing (but could well be wrong on that).

Comment

My local dealer has a great Corvette mechanic who has taken good care of my C5, C6 and C7. I'm sure they will send him to whatever training is necessary for the C8.
                            1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                            2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

I go to a local servicing dealer for oil changes, state inspection stickers, etc, but for anything specialty Corvette, I take the 100 mile one way drive back to MacMulkin. I figure they have the tools, and the technicians who know how to use them. And their lunch counter in the customer waiting area isn't bad either.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X