Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Lid flew off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lid flew off

I did the one dumb thing that I should know not to do. I didn't fasten the roof and it flew off when my wife took the car out. Luckily no one was behind her and it only hurt our feelings and the panel of course. It's pretty scratched up. I took it in to the local body shop and I wasn't overwhelmed with confidence in them as he thought it was fiberglass, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of composite plastic isn't it? I thought about wrapping it in black, but I prefer the look of constant colour Torch Red. A glass panel is about C$4xxx and CF is C$5xxx So, I decided to buy a new panel. C$1213.00 plus paint. Anyone have any experience with the tops and it's material?
    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
    3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Welcome to the Flying Roof Club, I did the same with my 99 C5.

I had a bent fiberglass corner and the Shop was still able to repair and paint it just like new.

Good Luck
    1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
    2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
    Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
    Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I too belong to the unfortunately flying roof club in the C5 era.. I was standing on asphalt all day at a car show (104 degrees) and I too forgot…
      Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I did this on my C5 and my C7. I am on the order list for a C8 and I am going for the HTC this time. LOL

Comment

It called sheet molded compound (SMC). Google it, and you'll find a wealth of information on it, including how to repair it.

I'd get it fixed and resprayed. If you buy a new one you'll likely have to get it painted too.

P.S. I had a flying roof too, but it was on a fixed roof C6 Z06. The SMC de-bonded from the frame, and only the shell went flying.
          Last edited by Foosh; 05-16-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foosh View Post
            It called sheet molded compound (SMC). Google it, and you'll find a wealth of information on it, including how to repair it.

I'd get it fixed and resprayed. If you buy a new one you'll likely have to get it painted too.

P.S. I had a flying roof too, but it was on a fixed roof C6 Z06. The SMC de-bonded from the frame, and only the shell went flying.
            Thanks for the info Foosh! Appreciate it!
            I doubt the local body shop knows how to fix SMC. The local GM dealer doesn't have a body shop so I'm kind of stuck. The new one will require painting, but at least it will be new.
            Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
            3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Any body shop that does work on Corvettes has experience with SMC repair. It's been around since at least the C6 era, but starting with C7 they came up with a new material that is supposedly lighter, stronger, and more flexible.

The beauty of your situation is that you can just take the roof in and keep your car in your garage. Since you are Mike Furman's "Mr. 5000," he may be able to point you in a good direction.
              Last edited by Foosh; 05-16-2022, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Any body shop that does work on Corvette's has experience with SMC. It's been around since at least the C6 era, but starting with C7 they came up with a new material that is supposedly lighter, stronger, and more flexible.

The beauty of your situation is that you can just take the roof in and keep your car in your garage.
                I live in a small town and the local body shop has likely never even seen a Corvette. lol. They are also new. I think they bought out the previous owners and refranchised it as a Fix Auto so I don't trust them. I could take it to a larger town, but I just decided I want new. I can afford it. Hopefully they know how to paint!

Comment

I also am a member of the flying targa roof club in my c6. I purchased a like new roof off of a local craigslist. Lots of guys have multiple roofs and decide to sell one of the two they own.

buying new seems like your preferred path. Good luck and dont feel bad we have all been there.

the one thing I have since done is categorically refuse to place the roof on the car without locking it in place ever again.

i recommend taking on the same ideology to avoid a reoccurrence.

worked for me ever since.

good luck and glad no-one was hurt.

Comment

Sorry Murray, I had you confused with Meyerweb. I understand your decision to buy new, but I'd still look into getting your damaged one fixed. You'll have a spare. Maybe go with black on the repaired roof to change up the look a bit.
                    Last edited by Foosh; 05-16-2022, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      the one thing I have since done is categorically refuse to place the roof on the car without locking it in place ever again.
                      i recommend taking on the same ideology to avoid a reoccurrence.
                      My problem is laziness driven by bad knees. I get out of the car grab the lid out of the trunk and put it on. Instead of getting in the car and locking it in and then getting out to close the trunk. I go close the trunk instead and then get back in the car and park it in the garage. Then get out without locking it in place. I wonder why there isn't some sort of alarm on it like the trunk and frunk.
                      I guess I'll need to hold the roof on my knee and close the trunk before putting the roof on. Then I can I can get in and lock it. That is if I don't forget in the time it takes for me to get in the car! lol. I'm one of those guys that goes to the work shop for a screw driver and forget what I came for by the time I get there.

Comment

Sorry Murray, I had you confused with Meyerweb. I understand your decision to buy new, but I'd still look into getting your damaged one fixed. You'll have a spare. Maybe go with black on the repaired roof to change up the look a bit.
                        You shouldn't insult Meyerweb like that!
                        The new roof is actually just the panel. I thought about getting it wrapped, but one thing I will do is get it PPF'ed when I get it back. I bet that would have saved a tome of scratches. The PPF is pretty rugged.

Comment

I know XPEL Ultimate is very rugged. My wife misjudged a garage entry several years back and heavily dented a front fender that was PPFed. The paint over the deep dent was still flawless, and the PPF was barely scuffed.
                          Last edited by Foosh; 05-16-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

SMC has been around for a LONG time on Corvette bodies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMC.png
Views:	552
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	377648

Comment

Google Flying Roofs
                              There is a simple manual item that you can affix to your latch and make it almost impossible to ignore/forget to latch your top.

Mike Scibetta
                              St Cloud, FL

2022 Corvette Stingray Coupe – 2LT – Elkhart Lake Blue – Black Interior – Z51 – Stingray R – Front Lift – Mag Selective Ride – Museum Delivery/Pick Up 3/11/2022

“American Muscle on ICE”

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X