MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! 1959 Stingray Race Re-Imagined “Modern” C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

Remove the C8’s Z-51 Spoiler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klinn View Post

Amen to that. :thumbsup: Once you've experienced the thrills of pushing your car and yourself in a safe environment where you can concentrate on only your driving, nothing you can do on the street compares.

Some folks, such as myself, are a little nervous about making errors at high speed on a road course. Fortunately autocross provides many of the same benefits in a lower stress environment. Courses are designed specifically so the worst that should happen is hitting an orange plastic cone. It's a real grassroots starting point for learning more about your car and yourself. More info here at SCCA. There are lots of local clubs all over. Biggest downside to autocross versus lapping a track is you only get very limited seat time by comparison.

But for some folks the point of a Vette is cruising back roads, or having the most amazingly shiny deep paint you've ever seen, at that's all good too. Fascination with Vettes covers all of us.

Edit: Oh yes, to get back on topic, I reserve the right to rip off the Z-51's spoiler depending on how ugly it turns out. For me, the camo pics don't inspire much hope, but who knows what the final appearance will be.
    Spring Mountain is such a wonderful track learning place. Great instructors, no pressure to drive even 1 MPH than we are each capable and comfortable doing, graduated skill learning activities, and worst case, huge run-offs so we do not get into trouble.

The Corvette Owners School at $1,000 for the entire event, is truly priceless in so many ways, including making all who go as their first track experience, better and safer on-the-street drivers. And of course, far better track drivers!
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

The Spring Mountain program sounds wonderful. I wish GM would offer something similar in Canada, maybe at Calabogie or Shannonville. Spring Mountain is a little far away, and cross-border travel adds to the complications.

Comment

Notwithstanding the rear spoiler, the base model (non Z51) is for me. Same engine same trans and no tracking for me. The only item I want in the Z51 features described in post one is the NPP which I assume will be available for non Z51 just as it is with the C7.

Comment

SM has some extra program components too. One motel room but way big enough for two, meals for two included, and the second person can attend any of the classroom sessions at no charge, and also at no charge can ride along in the instructor’s car a few times during the two day session (instructors use Camaro’s most of the time). AMAZING!

I know all could make it if it were important enough. Annie and I average 10,000 road trip miles per year, and no where is it required that road trip can not be in a non-Corvette. Or one could fly to Las Vegas, rent a car, etc. Again, SM provides the Corvette to drive on the track for the primary person.

Last time we drove our Z06 down there, and drove their Z06 during all the track sessions. Highly probable we would do identically with our new C8, of course driving their C8 on the track. I can’t wait! But guessing not until April of next year for us.
          Last edited by John; 05-22-2019, 02:29 PM.
          Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
            Notwithstanding the rear spoiler, the base model (non Z51) is for me. Same engine same trans and no tracking for me. The only item I want in the Z51 features described in post one is the NPP which I assume will be available for non Z51 just as it is with the C7.
            I pretty much agree. The only thing I disliked about my "base" C7 was the amount of body roll. A pair of Z51 sway bars fixed that without the harsher ride quality of the Z51.

Where I disagree, just a little, is that I've had my C7 on two different tracks doing hot laps (not parade lap), and it does just fine. I probably wouldn't rely on the brakes for a race distance, but for half an hour of hot laps they did just fine.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              (instructors use Camaro’s most of the time). AMAZING!
              Really? When I was there, the instructors were in 'vettes, too. My class was smaller than most, so maybe they did that because there were extra C7s not being used by students. But they could drive 4 cylinder Chevy Cruzes and stay ahead of most of the students.
              Last time we drove our Z06 down there, and drove their Z06 during all the track sessions. Highly probable we would do identically with our new C8, of course driving their C8 on the track. I can’t wait! But guessing not until April of next year for us.
              Unfortunately, at 2,500 miles from home, I'm probably not going to drive to my next Ron Fellows class. Although I've always wanted to take a summer and drive my Corvette around the country, so who knows.... I did that on a motorcycle back in 1981, and wouldn't have to quit my job this time!
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I am reserving judgment until we see the real deal unwrapped on July 18th.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparro View Post
                  I am reserving judgment until we see the real deal unwrapped on July 18th.
                  Agree Sparro ... let's see how it looks. I like the Z51 spoiler on my C7 roadster better than the non spoiler look. It always come down to personal preference, unless you are truly a track peep

Comment

A lip spoiler would look the best over everything else we've see IMO. It's like the rear deck has a notch around the entire rear facia that's for some sort of spoiler. What I would love, but don't think we will get on the base model is a spoiler like that the C8.R. Now that, Yeah I'd be all over that.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	37566

Last edited by foreignbishop; 05-23-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I'm sure after the introduction there will be some aftermarket companies who would love to provide you with a replica wing. They'll be all over the C8. They would probably supply a replica of that short fin on the leading edge of the hood too. (pitot sensor? dunno)

Comment

Spring Mountain is such a wonderful track learning place. Great instructors, no pressure to drive even 1 MPH than we are each capable and comfortable doing, graduated skill learning activities, and worst case, huge run-offs so we do not get into trouble.

The Corvette Owners School at $1,000 for the entire event, is truly priceless in so many ways, including making all who go as their first track experience, better and safer on-the-street drivers. And of course, far better track drivers!
                        John, this is good to know. No matter what racing experience we have or think we have

Comment

What is especially excellent about the COS, is that after progressive initial exercises, they divide you into ability groups, at least three different levels, so you are during the next series of activities you are with folks about your ability/experience/expertise. However, at any time if a person is starting to exceed their groups’ expertise level, they move the person up (or the reverse).

And as always, no one is ever pressured to go one ounce faster than they are comfortable with.

When I went, there were literally two SCCA glass champions and others of that skill level. The rest of them in that fast group, we called them “the rabbits,” as they often passed us when we were doing lapping exercises. Were they ever skilled!

I can not say enough about Spring Mountain, how they work with every “student” to insure that that person’s two day school works best for them!

Comment

Gotta love the Z51 spoiler on the C7. Just have to wait and see if there is a functional one on the C8 and not some garish wang.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post
                              Just have to wait and see if there is a functional one on the C8 and not some garish wang.
                              Bet its functional if its there. I guess it could be functional and a "garish wang".

Comment

SM has some extra program components too. One motel room but way big enough for two, meals for two included, and the second person can attend any of the classroom sessions at no charge, and also at no charge can ride along in the instructor’s car a few times during the two day session (instructors use Camaro’s most of the time). AMAZING!

I know all could make it if it were important enough. Annie and I average 10,000 road trip miles per year, and no where is it required that road trip can not be in a non-Corvette. Or one could fly to Las Vegas, rent a car, etc. Again, SM provides the Corvette to drive on the track for the primary person.

Trying to figure out what's involved in a trip. What time does the program start first day, & what time does the second day end? Is the room for one night or two?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X