MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Chazcron Driveway Walk-Around Videos! C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

AD PERSONUM anyone???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD PERSONUM anyone???

I think GM could really change the domestic game if they added an "AD PERSONUM" program as other exotic car makers do.
    Give C8 Corvette buyers the opportunity to totally customize their car with different colors, interior treatments etc.......all at a price.

I like the idea, but I'm sure the cost adders for such customization would be very high. Not sure that that's the market they want to be in.
    Proud owner of
    1966 Ermine White/White Blue Interior L72 Coupe
    2013 Artic White/Diamond Blue Interior LS7 Convertible

Comment

That's a very expensive option on lambos... only people with BIG money go for that.

Comment

While it would be very nice. I too would love to have customization, and would be willing to pay more for a singular option, maybe even two. However, when one produces 40,000 vehicles per year on one assembly line, set up from start to finish to keep the Corvette costs low due to assembly line mass production efficiencies, I too am doubting it would happen.

Yet choices on the C8 are going to increase over the C7; the best example is that seat belt choices goes from two on the 2019 Stingray to six on the first year C8. There will be many more choice options than the 2019 Stingray.

Not disagreeing that some brands do already assembly line offer customization of a color, but still not thinking it would be coming to BGA.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

For specialty products, a full custom ordering process works fairly well since the process is not running fast enough to prevent in-the-middle alterations. Back in the '60s you could check off boxes on an order form (which was really satisfying!) while sitting in the sales geek's office to get exactly what you wanted, regardless if it was officially supported or not. Green interior with a blue exterior? Sure, why not! The customer is always right!

Manufacturers found that this onesy-twosy process really put a dent in the production schedules, and that led to the "package ordering" that we have today.

I understand the need to not slow down the production line, but I really wish I had more control over what I want to have sitting in my garage! <pout>

Comment

I sure get/understand your drift. Things are now option “packaged,” with no ability to get some individual options we crave without buying a package (an expensive path in many cases). As we know, all OEM’s do this. And all of us customers prefer they not do this.

If however, you were being literal about color selections, all of us can get the combo we want, eg., a 1 o1 one Corvette, just by ordering a yellow convertible, with a red top, and a blue interior. Color override “option D6D” at $590 would be your key to do so. Sometimes dealers do not want us to know about it, for if we back out of a purchase with one of “those,” the dealership is left trying to sell that unique combo.

However, as Harlan is a strong believer in giving us more choices, I am thinking we will have more choices and options for our C8’s.
            Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Even D6D has limitations. I wanted to use it to get a dark gray interior for my Stingray, but since dark gray was only offered on the Z06 they told me "no."
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Thanks meyerweb. I did not know that.

Comment

I sure understand the cost benefits of restricting customization on the BGA line but maybe Chevy could partner up with a outside vendor like Ford does with Shelby to do custom work with GM's blessing and would result in no warranty voiding issues.
                  Bucket LIst: See C8, Order C8 (On Mike Furman's List) Own C8, Drive C8

Comment

Originally posted by 455SDguy View Post
                    I sure understand the cost benefits of restricting customization on the BGA line but maybe Chevy could partner up with a outside vendor like Ford does with Shelby to do custom work with GM's blessing and would result in no warranty voiding issues.
                    That's an interesting approach, but boy would it be EXPENSIVE. After GM built the car, the outside vendor would have to take it apart to replace / repaint / reupholster the parts you wanted changed, and then put it back together again. But for those who can afford it, why not?
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

That's an interesting approach, but boy would it be EXPENSIVE. After GM built the car, the outside vendor would have to take it apart to replace / repaint / reupholster the parts you wanted changed, and then put it back together again. But for those who can afford it, why not?
                      Yes sir it would but as the old saying goes if enough buyers ask for it maybe Chevy would consider doing it and not use a 3rd party.
                      Bucket LIst: See C8, Order C8 (On Mike Furman's List) Own C8, Drive C8

Comment

Shades of Boss 429s being built at Kar Kraft!

Comment

Originally posted by 455SDguy View Post
                          Iu

Now THAT is a great idea!! The way I see it the buyers who are going to be ad personum customers will be looking at the higher end models ala Zora (ZR_1). Afterall the Zora will be on the level of the current exotics and an ad personum program would really level the playing field. Either way I look forward to the C8 showing the world what American car makers can do. Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren.......be Fraid, be very afraid because the C 8 is COMING!!!!!!!

Comment

Speaking of mass produced cars, I've wondered how VW pulls off their "Spektrum" selection of 40 colors for the Golf R, over and above the standard 5. It costs something like $2500 extra and adds several months to delivery time, but it must give VW with some interesting production scheduling headaches.

Pics of all 40 colors here.

Comment

Back when manufacturers allowed "paint to match" option (want your Corvette painted Ford Highland Green? No problem!) They'd primer the car, pull it off the line to the custom paint shop and hand paint it. I'd imagine that VW does the same thing.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X