Targa Top and Retractable Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targa Top and Retractable Hardtop

It appears the new ME Zora has both targa top and retractable hardtop configurations. While we all know there is a element of wind buffeting with a targa top that we have experienced with the C7 Corvette models a new Targa design was just shown today by Ferrari that eliminates wind buffeting. Take a look at the Ferrari solution and also give your thoughts on where the Zora top will be stored when off. I think the best location would be behind the seats in a locked down position. The only problem with that is the potential of bringing dirt and dust into to cabin to swirl around at speed. Ferrari's design does eliminate some of that problem.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rga-top-design

Thank you Skank for pointing out that very interesting Ferrari HT convertible development. Having a taller windshield header does reduce buffeting and noise to occupants, but, like you, I saw even Ferrari noting the triple downsides of greater drag, greater fuel use, and less performance by the increased header height. Maybe GM would be willing to live with that if the HT convertible were only offered in the entry and the GS-equivalent versions???

I think you have hit upon some very key factors as to the both the location of, and one of the negative consequence of the HT’s potential behind-the-seat storage area “getting dirtied” when lowered.

Thank you for bringing that information to us all.
    Last edited by John; 08-06-2018, 09:37 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for posting ...
      A thought if I might ...

Comment

Originally posted by Skank View Post
        It appears the new ME Zora has both targa top and retractable hardtop configurations. While we all know there is a element of wind buffeting with a targa top that we have experienced with the C7 Corvette models a new Targa design was just shown today by Ferrari that eliminates wind buffeting. Take a look at the Ferrari solution and also give your thoughts on where the Zora top will be stored when off. I think the best location would be behind the seats in a locked down position. The only problem with that is the potential of bringing dirt and dust into to cabin to swirl around at speed. Ferrari's design does eliminate some of that problem.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rga-top-design
        Thanks Skank, I was extremely hoping the Retractable Hardtop was in the equation. Is that a definite confirmation that it will be available for the 2020 ME?
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

There has been numerous photos showing the roof with multiple gap lines on the top indicating a folding hardtop. Thats pretty much the consensus.

Comment

Could the manual top be just that...manually lowering into its concelled position.?

im not convinced the front trunk is large enough to store the targa roof...

i did notice ferraris reclaiming of a need to offer a “targa”top again...

todays 488 is getting ridiculous closing in on 400 grand with fully optioned models...

holly ****!

God bless those with the cash to pay that for a car
            Last edited by John; 08-07-2018, 09:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Comment

I too do not think the frunk would be big enough for the removable top, but as to where it would be stored, that is an interesting question.
              Last edited by John; 08-07-2018, 11:30 PM. Reason: typo fix.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                I too do not think the frunk would be big enough for the removable top, but as to where it would be stored, that is an intersting question.
                Possibly the top separates in two pieces as it would be a breeze to fit in a smaller compartment and much easier to handle ?
                Rocket City Florida

Comment

Two other exotics split their coupe’s removable roof into two sections, then store it in the frunk. Definitely a possibility.

Comment

Two piece top would be pretty slick although the thought of rattles when on in cold weather would double?

Comment

This is me being purely selfish, but a fixed roof coupe is such a step up in structural integrity - with an absence of pops, squeaks, rattles, that I really hope the coupe is a fixed roof - or at least that getting one is an option. I'm not into denying people options, but having a fixed roof coupe Corvette illustrates every time I'm in it, the advantages of it.

Comment

Maybe we will have, a third version, a fixed roof, perhaps even “lightened, no frills” coupe. On thing about a fixed roof coupe that GM will consider in deciding whether to add this third version, is that under current NHTSA safety standards, a fixed roof coupe requires a side curtain air bag which a removable roof coupe does not.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Maybe we will have, a third version, a fixed roof, perhaps even “lightened, no frills” coupe. On thing about a fixed roof coupe that GM will consider in deciding whether to add this third version, is that under current NHTSA safety standards, a fixed roof coupe requires a side curtain air bag which a removable roof coupe does not.
                          Ah - John, you are correct. I had forgotten about that.

That pretty much ensures it'll be a targa.

Comment

The Targa C7 is already incredibly stiff, even with the removable roof. But I suppose you could always TIG weld in some bracing if you think you need it.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X