Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME’s Coil Over Suspension And Related Chassis Component Possibilities

ME’s Coil Over Suspension And Related Chassis Component Possibilities

After many decades, GM is finally moving away from its very successful transverse leaf suspension system, to a coil over system.

Originally posted by Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained
    Coilovers are a common performance upgrade for car suspensions. Coilovers can allow for lowering a vehicle, and also can reduce body roll with stiffer springs. A coilover gets its name from simply a coil spring over a shock absorber.
    Here are a couple of ME’s leaked CAD drawings showing its actual coil over suspension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBD129DB-F0EA-4D05-B448-B44B7219DA84.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	3577

Name:	47E575FF-DE4A-4BEF-94F5-B79C7BDC50C2.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	3578

There are several advantages of a coil over system, once of which has been a subject that has been a complained about as a C7 limitation, e.g., the lack of a front axle life system. Another advantage includes easier, more precise ride height adjustments, and for track aficionados, the ability to change shocks tailored to specific race tracks.

With a coil over system, coupled with a hydraulic line fitting , as is shown in the CAD, it is very easy to have a front axle lift system. Such a lift system is available on many other ME exotics, including Porsche and McLaren, and the Corvette team has been asked about having such a system one more than a few times — but much more complicated to do so with a transverse leaf system

The ME will most likely bring about that front axle lift system capability, though it would probably be a option as opposed to a standard item — with an estimated price for that option of roughly $2,000 (though it is more expensive on foreign exotics).

Here is a related thread, thanks to CorvetteBlogger, on the ME’s front axle lift system perhaps being shown in action.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...stem-in-action

Thanks to “Skank” we know that there is at least a possibility of a rear wheel steering option on some of the later year, high end ME versions, as well as his providing info on other potential ME suspension component.s

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ned-zora-model

Finally, the actual body mounts could be based on ZF advanced systems for more precise ride isolation characteristics. For example, some Porsche uses ZF’s AKC (active kinetic control) components for isolation/control of suspension components.

Thanks to ZF’s site, press.zf.com, we have this picture of that AKC system.

Name:	8E8A079D-0782-4D92-8603-8199AE8D148C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	3579

Lots of exciting new possibilities for the ME’s suspension.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I really like the idea of rear-wheel steering, and I look forward to hearing more about its implementation in the ME.
    Last edited by John; 08-06-2018, 09:15 AM. Reason: I like your “sunshine” as an intro to your comments: John
    My C8:
    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Lol Im Such a cheap guy..im not paying two grand to lift the nose...

those plastic flap spoilers work just fine..

i have the stereo playing and i just dont care..

if the new lift system somehow correlates to better handling then i might ...but just to avoid the scraping? Ill pass,,

I'm sorry if my opinion varies from so many...

I've never replaced fhe plastic spring hinged spoiler in over 200k miles on my two c5 s and my c6..

and I had my c5 z06 lowered too...

i still miss that car...
      Last edited by JB; 08-10-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I'd have a hard time coughing up 2 grand for that feature, too, JB.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

It is not wonderful and just, that every one of us gets to choose which options were are or are not willing to pay for. I would glad pay $2,500 for the front axle lift system option
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Choice is always good. IMO, having FALS as standard equipment will not happen, for GM will do everything they can to keep the MSRP low.
            Looking forward to our ME arriving.

Comment

I am just happy the new car is going to more of a race car set up with coils springs and a damper.I was not a fan of the composite Lspring set up. I know their were many advantages but I always felt the rear of my 2003 Z06 was not as planted compared to the coil over set up I installed. I know my 15 Z handling was better than most supercars, just in certain situations it felt a little odd in some track events. LG motor sports did the same with their race cars.
              Last edited by Fasttoys; 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Coil overs also allow a very easy way to adjust corner weights, which are critical to balanced handling.
                3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

"Coil overs" are the only way to fly (as a starting point) for the best possible handling and suspension adjustability. I'm sure Doug Fehan has requested "coil overs"! "4-Wheel Steer" sounds like the perfect option for Cadillac's 1,000 hp halo hybrid car! The front lift system is attractive from a practical standpoint, but not necessarily from a financial (if it's going to cost $2,500!) standpoint. Nor is it practical if it adds significant additional front end weight that might alter the vehicle's balance! Doug won't have "front lift" on his cars! I would assume that the mid-engine car will have cameras mounted in the front grill as does the C7 that might further render a $2,500 front lift option as a necessity. Different strokes.........
                  GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X