MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Reveal Countdown Clock! Official 4/26 GM C8 News. Finally, 7.18.19 Orange County Reveal Location Is Announced!

See more
See less

Lets discuss the z51 FE4 package. Who is thinking of ordering & possible insights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The advantage of much better traction inherent in a mid engine car. Even the 711 HP Ferrari Pista only has (only needs), the identical 245 front/305 rears that our 2020 C8 willhave. While bigger tires look cool (IMO), their greater unsprung weight works against handling, and in the case of the rear driving wheels, hurts acceleration — and in all cases bigger wheels cost more, eat up fuel economy.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by DWG View Post
      There's a lot we still don't know (soon!) but I would guess that if you get the Z51 package, GM7, FE3, XFQ, and J55 from that screenshot are automatically chosen also.

The difference in the rear axle ratio seems almost insignificant unless the transmission gear ratios also change.
      I agree ... I hope the Z51 package will have the same "options" as the current package on the C7.

Comment

The 245/35-19 front size is identical to the present Z51 front tire. The 305/30-20 is one size wider than the present Z51, which is 285/30-20

Comment

Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
          Anyone else surprised by 245s up front? Seems rather skinny. Hell, my GT350 have 295s up front.
          While I'm definitely no expert, I believe mid engine cars don't need the same width tires as front engine vehicles. The tires specified for the Z51 package are the same size that comes on the Ferrari 488 and McLaren 720S.
          Last edited by DWG; 05-07-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DWG View Post

While I'm definitely no expert, I believe mid engine cars don't need the same width tires as front engine vehicles. The tires specified for the Z51 package are the same size that comes on the Ferrari 488 and McLaren 720S.
            Hmm, did a quick search, it does appear that the 488 had 245s up front. 650s had smaller, at 235. Guess I'm just used to wide on both ends.

Comment

For a pretty large list of tire sizes on other ME’s:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ire-generation
              Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

3.62 versus 3.80 does seem like a ridiculously small differenential in rear gearing...

mAybe one is for the upcoming manual transmission version ? (Kidding)

Comment

MSRC -- Definitely Yes. I have 2 ATS Caddys 1 with MSRC and 1 without . It is definitely worth the price of admission.
                  Last edited by Frenzy36; 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM.
                  Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    3.62 versus 3.80 does seem like a ridiculously small differenential in rear gearing...

mAybe one is for the upcoming manual transmission version ? (Kidding)
                    I think maybe 3.62 on the base model for slightly more relaxed cruising and better mpg, and 3.80 on the Z51. But it's possible the internal ratios vary, too, as they do between the C7 base and Z51.

On the tire size question, the ME will have a LOT less weight on the front tires than the C7 or the GT350, so it can get away with smaller tires.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Lets discuss the z51 FE4 package. Whose thinking of ordering this and possible insights to this package offering?

the new c8 has been shown to be possibly be offered in standard , z51 and z51 FE4 format.

1) which are you leaning towards and why?

2) what do you think the z51 fe4 package will have over and above the z51 package and what will be both the cost and benefits?

3) any reason not to order the fe4 package over the z51 by itself.?
                      I am about # 50 something on a major dealer list. I want the top performance suspension and exhaust options. When the car is revealed i assume there will be surprises concerning the suspension, too. With this car seems like every suspension option that max-sharpens the handling is a must. The base car will have adequate but not all conquering power. The suspension and handling will set it apart. If it is done right. Corvette knows how to do suspension. But, hope they do not create a, mere, junior varsity champion by cutting back on the suspension goodies and components, in the base car.. So spring rates and everything need max out.

The base car wants to out box the Boxster and beat the Cayman at the barrel roll. Boxster/Cayman is widely regarded as the handling champion. Even compared to the really expensive cars. C8 wants to take that crown.

Thank You, JB, for for focusing in on the number one priority for the base C8.
                      Last edited by SheepDog; 05-07-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                        On the C7, you can order MSRC (mag shocks) without the Z51 package. That wasn't true for the first couple of years of the C7, and I have no guess as to whether it will be true for the C8.
                        I’ve attended all the Bash seminars since they began in 1998. In the early C7 seminars it was explained that it takes a lot of time to develop and test each calibration of MSRC. For the C7 it was decided to do the calibrations for the Z51 first. The base car MSRC option came a year or two later. Based on the leaked option list I suspect that once again the base car MSRC will come later.
                        Last edited by ZL-1; 05-07-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                          It seems incongruous to me to spend a fortune on carbon fiber wheels for lightness, and then mount heavier construction run flats on them.
                          Quite true, perhaps if carbon fiber wheels are introduced it would be part of a track-oriented Z-07 type package which would include lighter, stickier, non-run flat tires?

I'm sure I'll want to add the Z51 and FE4 packages to the base C8. Back when I was tempted to get a C7, I started with the base Stingray and wanted those plus the performance traction management, dual-mode exhaust etc. But with all the options, it worked out pretty close to a Grand Sport which had all those things as standard. It would have made more sense to go that route, but for the C8 I don't think I can wait until GM introduces a GS version. If patience is a virtue, then I am non-virtuous.

Comment

Kline, we are glad you joined us. I have enjoyed all your posts today. You obviously have your Corvette world well thought out. Thanks for joining us!

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                              The 245/35-19 front size is identical to the present Z51 front tire. The 305/30-20 is one size wider than the present Z51, which is 285/30-20
                              There is also a legal implication. The perception is that in rear and rear-mid-engined cars, the rear end tends to easily come around in inexperienced hands. The legal counsel: wider rear tires and prescribe a much higher tire pressure for the rears.

Comment

Attending Spring Mountain under the Bash announced continuation of the Corvette Owners School, would be the best antidote for unknowing ME drivers.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X