Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today: Carbon Revolution, from Australia, Discuss Their Carbon Fiber Wheels

Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett sits down with Tim deSouze from Australia and Brad Lethorn from their North American office. https://youtu.be/F0LBAqkYjY4; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...rxNOYlIxPjYr24. Tim and Brad talk about the origins of the company, what other car brands they make Carbon Fiber wheels for and the future of Carbon Fiber!It's a fascinating and informative show! Don't miss this episode of CORVETTE TODAY.

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.Listen to the show, watch the YouTube video, join the Facebook group, sign up for email notifications and shop in the CORVETTE TODAY Merchandise Store at:
www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
2 of 3 < >

Ten Words Maximum Or POTM’s Disqualified

Every single month people are forgetting how to count to ten — the maximum amount of words in our POTM contest. So starting tomorrow, if your entry exceeds 10 words, it would be DISQUALIFIED for the month. No “re-do’s,” edits. nor substitutions afterward.
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Is A Split Window C8 Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is A Split Window C8 Happening

We thank “Shank” our special MECF Content Contributor for this most notable single reporting from Daytona.

Tying the following quote to our past split window MECF discussion thread: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...”#post351041

Might the ZR1 coupe be a split window?

Originally posted by Shank
    I was at the 24 Hrs of Daytona over the weekend and finally got to see the new Z06 up close with the Cutaway exposed version there as well. I noticed that Phil Zak (Executive Design Director of Global Chevrolet) was standing there observing us at the display. I went over to him and asked him if he was taking any questions. I then proceeded to tell him of the time I met Vlad Kapitonov at the C8 Stingray reveal at the Monterey Historics 2 years ago in California. At that time I observed that the crease lines from the front fascia to the front hood and targa top to the rear vented window frame had a well defined alignment of a centerlined recess area that terminated at the pointy tail end of the Stingray emblem. I use Autocad in my business and have a reasonable understanding of how they could make two slices through the model profile using the two forward leaning waterlines as a starting point. I then showed the image that is on the #1 post of this thread to him. He was quite amused by this photo ! He asked me what my Forum name was and I told him. He was aware of this thread and remembered it. I asked him if there was going to be a Split Window configuration on the top model and he said, "We are doing some interesting design elements with the rear window hatch" and didn't elaborate further. I took that as a definite yes, since Ed Welborn said they were looking at doing a future version of the Split Window. I think it is definitely going to happen !!
    Thank you Skank for this reporting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5DBE13C1-FFFA-41CF-8A01-6958102C8753.jpg Views:	22 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	351043
    Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I would think it's an nice affection to the nostalgic, but not really practical if the rear spoilers continue to get larger and visibility more dependent on cameras.

But I assume it will provide yet another visual variant to the Stingray.
    1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
    2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
    Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
    Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

I would like to see what it would look like narrowed down and end at the window

Comment

The fact that Phil Zak was familiar with Shank and his work on the forum is very telling of how the Corvette Team monitors and listens to its customers. Great job Shank. Can't wait to see some more of your rendors on whats next!
        Last edited by 455SDguy; 01-31-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Visibility out the rear of the coupe is already pretty bad. I can't imagine GM doing anything that would make it even worse.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

The coupe’s rear camera mirror would be located and thus “see” above the split in the rear and as far as rear spoilers are concerned, the rear camera sees both above and below them (as it currently does on the C8’s with it and the high wing).

As we are talking post Z06, the rear camera mirror could be standard on all coupes at that time.
            Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Being a staunch HTC guy, the advent of a new 'split window coupe' could challenge me to consider that option.

Anyone remember back in the day that the 'coupe' was the premium model Corvette vs the roadster???
              2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                Visibility out the rear of the coupe is already pretty bad. I can't imagine GM doing anything that would make it even worse.
                I agree, at least compared to most cars? However in my year+ of ownership of a 1LT, I can attest that the visibility is no worse than it is out the back of our '20 Cherokee. Why? Because the styling of the car has reduced the size of the rear window. Add in the rear seat headrests blocking some of the view, as well as large C pillars and darker glass, it's not as good as in larger cars or SUVs. But here's the thing. You adapt to it, and it's really not horrible, not withstanding the occasional glare that all rear windows and even rear view cameras experience. I've learned to accept and work around this issue as I have with my other car, and with the side mirrors adjusted as they should be, I feel like I have reasonable vision to the rear and sides. As for the split rear window, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe it could be done with some type of transparent one-way material. I don't think it would add anything to the styling or function of the car though.

Comment

“Irony”…….That a car possibly named after Zora, would get a split window, with Zora being responsible for the demise of the split window back in ‘64….🤷🏼‍♂️
                  Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

So when an GM guy says "We are doing some interesting design elements", Shank just leapt to Yes it's going to be a split window. Oh Really? The drag would be horrible.

Comment

For me, and everyone else who solely relies on the rear camera monitor 100%, reduced visibility would not be an issue with a split-window.

With the camera, you could duct-tape the whole rear window and visibility would not be affected.
                      Bob Sliwa
                      "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
                      Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
                      Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
                      2023-2024? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                        I have now seen the camera driven rear view mirror in the Suburban. its impressive and would take some getting used to but no lack of visibility. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          The coupe’s rear camera mirror would be located and thus “see” above the split in the rear and as far as rear spoilers are concerned, the rear camera sees both above and below them (as it currently does on the C8’s with it and the high wing).

As we are talking post Z06, the rear camera mirror could be standard on all coupes at that time.
                          I can not use the rear view camera. I've tried it many times and I just can't. Perhaps my vision is unique, but I would not want a split window car.
                          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                          2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

I see this as a option to the traditional hatch. If you review the original thread, there are renderings clearly showing that the design team have done split window concepts. Post #13 on the original thread. And this would allow a centerline carbon fiber detail like Pagani, Bugatti, and other exotics.
                            Last edited by Skank; 01-31-2022, 12:24 PM.

Comment

When I showed Phil Zak that image, you should have seen the look on his face ! Priceless !

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X