Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

I've waited a full year and a half and was able to place my order for a 2022 last Friday. Finally! However, on Monday the dealer called to notify me that I am currently #2 on their list for a z06 and should be seeing that car end of year of early next year too. I can't keep them both. Good problem to have but I'm uncertain which direction to go in. I'll need to sell one or the other.....

One way to think about it: If you cannot qualify for payments on both cars, as long as you think you will get the Stingray before the Z06, then get the Stingray and you can sell it. Order nothing out of the ordinary as far as colors, get mag ride and lift and other popular items. Probably 2LT trim. You can make net net probably $15-20k

Another way to think about it. Cancel the Stingray order and let another guy get his sooner.

I am assuming both are at MSRP; ADM could easily change the equation. Like if you are paying $20k over on the stingray, then I would maybe let it go / cancel order.

Comment

Being #2 on a list at a dealer that doesn't get many allocations per year could mean a very long wait.

It sounds like you're just thinking about cancelling your Stingray order, but if you do that be prepared to wait another year or more. Without knowing who your dealer is, it's impossible to provide a good guess on when your Z06 number might actually become an allocation with your name on it.
      Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Welcome aboard 50hdmc! Glad you joined us.

Good suggestions above. Allow me to add to DallasLoneStar’s list one more “top priority” options and that is the Performance Exhaust.

As also suggested above, I would get the Stingray as soon as you can, and hope that your dealer comes through with the Z06 later at MSRP.
        Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Get your regular C8 that is guaranteed. After that if you still want a Z06 then get on a list. For me it was simple, except for rain days and bad weather my C8 is enjoyed everyday going to work. My average miles per year for my C7 was 10,000. I could never see driving a Z06 as a daily driver. After I received my C8 my dealer asked if I wanted to get on the Z06 list and I declined for that reason. Good luck and enjoy your new C8.

Comment

There's no right answer to your question: the C8 Stingray and Z06 are 2 different beasts, both hard to get although the Z06 will likely be ++ more difficult to get than the Stingray, especially in the first year or two with demand so high. One option not mentioned above: get the Z06 if your wallet allows you to pay the extra dough and if you're not enthralled with it, I suspect you can easily sell it or trade it in on a Stingray and pocket a better profit than you'd see doing the same thing with a Stingray. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I did order the z51, mag ride etc. My dealer doesn't charge over msrp, but the point is well taken regarding their allocation as a smaller dealer. I've never owned a new corvette (always had mid-year stuff). Anyone have an idea on what the z06 would be worth if I were to flip that one? They are thinking it is going to have an msrp of around 89k. How difficult would it be to sell the 2022 if I were to go that route. As an aside, I owned a Ferrari 360 a few years back (2000 model yr) and I have to say the z06 sounds remarkably like that one did.

Comment

Thanks Zora and Alton.......I didn't see your response prior to my last post.

Comment

Who is your dealer?
                  Are they on the list in the link below?
                  Have you asked them how many C8 allocations they had in 2021?

Answers to all of those questions are necessary for you to develop a ballpark evaluation of what your #2 status on your dealer's Z06 list means.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2022...alers-of-2021/
                  Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 50hdmc View Post
                    Thanks guys for the input. I did order the z51, mag ride etc. My dealer doesn't charge over msrp, but the point is well taken regarding their allocation as a smaller dealer. I've never owned a new corvette (always had mid-year stuff). Anyone have an idea on what the z06 would be worth if I were to flip that one? They are thinking it is going to have an msrp of around 89k. How difficult would it be to sell the 2022 if I were to go that route. As an aside, I owned a Ferrari 360 a few years back (2000 model yr) and I have to say the z06 sounds remarkably like that one did.
                    I went through a small dealer and got my car faster than many others I've read about. Small dealers get taken care of too. If you like your dealer and he is reputable and someone you've done business with before, stick with it. My dealer works very hard to build and keep his reputation, and I trust them. You could always sell the Stingray when the Z06 arrives, but think about how you're going to use the car. The Stingray is plenty of car, and then some, for most of us, but if you want the Z06, you may never forgive yourself for passing on it. Only you can make that distinction. For me, I love the Stingray, the Z06 is way more car than I can possibly enjoy.

Comment

Yes, the above is true for some who have gotten lucky at a small dealer. The majority have not and waited much longer, and OP said he had been waiting 18 months with his Stingray order only now going in. Moreover, Z06 allocations are going to be much harder to come by for a long time to come.
                      Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2022, 12:15 PM.

Comment

When the C7 Z06 was in a near identical place as to upcoming production timing, my local small Chevy dealer told he that I was smart to go with a large national dealer for he doubted he would be getting a Z06 the first year. He was pleasant pleasantly surprised he got one three months before the end of the 2015 model year, and got about 2 or 3 every remaining year of the C7 era. He is hoping for one C8 Z06 in 2023. Two in 2024.

We ALL (including every dealer) are wondering what the 2023 Z06 allocation model will be.
                        Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

It's a no brainer, Take the car....drive it till the ZO6 comes in. Sell or Trade for the ZO6

Comment

Originally posted by jmickfly View Post
                            It's a no brainer, Take the car....drive it till the ZO6 comes in. Sell or Trade for the ZO6
                            Yes. I'd take the Stingray and tell the dealer I want to use it as the trade in for the Z06 when it arrives. I would also attempt to get an understanding with the dealer how the trade-in would be priced and handled. For example, would it be based on NADA guidelines or what. Hopefully both trades are at MSRP but maybe not.

Comment

At some point the "bubble will burst" on the C8 Stingray and used sale prices will drop. When that occurs, depends upon many factors and some of them are unpredictable (ie. continuing COVID part shortages...or heaven forbid, another tornado...or YIKES a strike) but the days of selling used Stingrays for a profit or no money lost, will end sometime, especially if Bowling Green keeps up its daily production rate and also due to people selling their Stingrays to fund their Z06 purchases which is already happening and will occur more often soon. So if I had just as much chance of getting either a Stingray or a Z06, I'd opt for the Z06 which should certainly at least maintain its value for the next year or two, due to demand.

But as Foosh said above, you need to figure out how many C8 allocations your dealer is likely to get (based upon the previous year and current year; that's always a good start) and I'd suggest taking 20% (to be safe) of that number for the likely number of Z06's it will get...to determine your chance of getting a Stingray versus a Z06. Some say the first year allotment for the Z06 will be much less than normal, whereas others think it'll be 20 to 30% of the Stingray allotments a dealer would normally get. I'm in the "20 to 30% camp" after talking to my dealer and seeing GM's focus on the Z06 and GM moving up the timetable for the start of the 2023 MY production. Admittedly, this is all speculation.

A couple of other things to consider: you should confirm your dealer will move you up on its list should someone below you drop out, rather than the dealer take the allocation for itself. So you're sitting at #2 right now. If the #1 person drops out for some reason, your chances of getting a Z06 allocation will have ++ increased and that's a comforting thought which might help you decide to take the Z06. As well, look at past history to see if this dealer gave priority to past C8 allocations to family/friends or the dealer itself, especially when it was first released in 2020. Ideally you get your dealer to confirm it won't do this but if there's that history, the dealer may find it too difficult to resist prioritizing its first Z06 allocation(s) elsewhere, making your spot on the Z06 list not as attractive. Some things to consider when deciding whether to go for a Stingray or Z06. Let us know how it works out and once again, good luck!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X