Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Wrapping the Top Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrapping the Top Questions

    Thinking about a black wrap for my white c8 and I have not much knowledge or experience here. Just want to do the top. What is the preparation necessary and what impact does it have on the paint? If it only lasts a few years then what happens. Does it crack and peel or lighten in color or what? If it has to be removed every 4 or 5 years what has it done possibly to the paint? Is it still like new under there or can one expect it to need paint repair? Thanks for your advise. Or is it just best to use paint instead of wrap?

  • #2
    Rockmark, I had mine done by Autoarmor in Bowling Green when I picked up my C8. I researched this prior to the install. I went with a product called Stek. It is not granular like the others the finish is amazing. Check it out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210305_143525.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	4.44 MB
ID:	346803 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210305_143536.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	346804
    2LT, Silver Flare coup, Adrenaline Red, Mag ride, Front lift, Stek roof wrap, Aerolarri Brushed Aluminum wheels, AMG front splitter, Scrape Armor splitter guard, ACS engine cover, American Car Craft Engine dress up kit.

    Comment


    • #3
      Paint it - JMO If you know a good body shop it is an easy paint job and will cost about the same as film. Won't peel, flake, bubble etc.
      I seen a Lambo at Mecum Auction that had a wrap put on it in 2015 and 25K miles and 7 years later it had ruined the paint. That was definitely not worth putting a wrap on. Adhesives and Time as well as Heat Exposure can and will ruin your paint. Most people don't tell you what may happen years from now.

      Stickers are just that - Plastic stickers with adhesive.
      Last edited by Frenzy36; 01-15-2022, 03:49 PM.
      Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jlc41 View Post
        Rockmark, I had mine done by Autoarmor in Bowling Green when I picked up my C8. I researched this prior to the install. I went with a product called Stek. It is not granular like the others the finish is amazing.
        I'm researching STEK as well. Another forum member has it on his Sebring Orange and says it is very durable.

        PPF treatments have been much improved on the last 5 years.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
          Paint it - JMO If you know a good body shop it is an easy paint job and will cost about the same as film. Won't peel, flake, bubble etc.
          I seen a Lambo at Mecum Auction that had a wrap put on it in 2015 and 25K miles and 7 years later it had ruined the paint. That was definitely not worth putting a wrap on. Adhesives and Time as well as Heat Exposure can and will ruin your paint. Most people don't tell you what may happen years from now.

          Stickers are just that - Plastic stickers with adhesive.
          Thank you that's just the kind of information I need to think about. No way I want to chance ruining the finish. I imagine doing PPF would present a similar possible outcome when removed plus possible bubbling and yellowing in time. Any other feedback on this would be interesting especially when it appears many folks are doing wraps. Can these wraps be injuring all kinds of paint the owners are unaware of?

          Comment


          • #6
            Does look cool yet buying premium product with a guaranteed life by installer and manufacturer to not ruin the pain in say 3 or 5 years does kake a lot of sense. Then have it removed in an appropriate amount of time.

            i dont do ppf or wraps. Too expensive and Im a cheap *******.

            i daily my new corvettes and my last black one looked great after 143k miles. Sold it so fast your head would spin..the young man couldnt get over and hand me the money fast enough. I personally think ppf and wraps are crazy money to spend.

            now that I hear they must be removed within a certain or they ruin the paint..l

            thats almost ironic.

            but please remember its just my opinion and Im just a cheap *******.

            no insult intended to all those that dig ppf and wraps.

            my actual advice stands ..buy quality, have a quality installer who backs his work and has been in business a long time and remove it when before its required to do so so the warranty is in effect.

            or as suggested by Rick...just have it painted by a quality shop...or my advice...

            just leave it as it comes from the factory.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JB View Post
              Does look cool yet buying premium product with a guaranteed life by installer and manufacturer to not ruin the pain in say 3 or 5 years does kake a lot of sense. Then have it removed in an appropriate amount of time.

              i dont do ppf or wraps. Too expensive and Im a cheap *******.

              i daily my new corvettes and my last black one looked great after 143k miles. Sold it so fast your head would spin..the young man couldnt get over and hand me the money fast enough. I personally think ppf and wraps are crazy money to spend.

              now that I hear they must be removed within a certain or they ruin the paint..l

              thats almost ironic.

              but please remember its just my opinion and Im just a cheap *******.

              no insult intended to all those that dig ppf and wraps.

              my actual advice stands ..buy quality, have a quality installer who backs his work and has been in business a long time and remove it when before its required to do so so the warranty is in effect.

              or as suggested by Rick...just have it painted by a quality shop...or my advice...

              just leave it as it comes from the factory.
              I agree with everything you wrote except "cheap" as I rather call you "frugal " !!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JB View Post
                Does look cool yet buying premium product with a guaranteed life by installer and manufacturer to not ruin the pain in say 3 or 5 years does kake a lot of sense. Then have it removed in an appropriate amount of time.

                i dont do ppf or wraps. Too expensive and Im a cheap *******.

                i daily my new corvettes and my last black one looked great after 143k miles. Sold it so fast your head would spin..the young man couldnt get over and hand me the money fast enough. I personally think ppf and wraps are crazy money to spend.

                now that I hear they must be removed within a certain or they ruin the paint..l

                thats almost ironic.

                but please remember its just my opinion and Im just a cheap *******.

                no insult intended to all those that dig ppf and wraps.

                my actual advice stands ..buy quality, have a quality installer who backs his work and has been in business a long time and remove it when before its required to do so so the warranty is in effect.

                or as suggested by Rick...just have it painted by a quality shop...or my advice...

                just leave it as it comes from the factory.
                Thanks JB. It seems that you are very thoughtful and insightful in your posts. What you say makes good sense and if I go through this I think it'll be w paint and permanent and perfect in 5 years w no worries. Good advice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by My1stVette View Post

                  I'm researching STEK as well. Another forum member has it on his Sebring Orange and says it is very durable.

                  PPF treatments have been much improved on the last 5 years.
                  That's probably me. STEK Dynoblack. Since it's PPF, not a vinyl wrap, you'd just have the same concerns that anyone else here that has PPF on their car has. If you don't want to paint it, then black PPF is definitely longer lasting and looks better than vinyl wrap.

                  Comment

                  MECF_728x90_bottom

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X