Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

C9 all Electric?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C9 all Electric?????

I read an article the other day that suggested the C9 would come out in 2026 as an all-electric. It will have the performance we expect in a Corvette like the Tesla Roadster 0-60 1.9 sec, 259 Mph, 600-mile range, but no sound. No Chevy small block rumble, no high whining Z06 flat crank. Just silence.

The question is will Corvette buyer buy it? Some think it's a generation thing. Well, me as a Baby Boomer, No Way I'll hold on to my C8 or Z06 till I can't buy gasoline or die. I need that motor sound.

So, will you buy an all-electric Corvette with no sounds? Please state your generation with your reply.
    Growing old is mandatory; growing Up is Optional

The article is wrong as to timing (at least). Even before the strike, Covid, subsequent parts chain supply issues and the tornado, the C8 was going to not end until at least 2027, e.g., the C8 starting in 2028.

Might you please link the article. If it was the one by GM Authority on this subject, we have already dissected it to pieces, but if it is new, we would like to at least read it for there may be some good things to consider. Thanks.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Agreed with John that there's no way this happens in 2026. I think 2028 is reasonable.

If it happens in 2028 with 6 more years to work on battery/charging technology, infrastructure, etc. I will absolutely buy one. I might not trade my C8 in, might keep both, but that would depend on the price/availability of gasoline, the charging/grid infrastructure, availability of other vehicles, etc.

I don't think generation much matters, but I'll be 45 in 2 weeks if it means anything. I will absolutely own an all electric car, a hydrogen car, or a car powered by hope and dreams if that's what technology brings us to.
      2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers and engine cover, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C, American Hydrocarbon 5VM kit, museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4, 3300 on 8/4, 3400 on 8/11, #18 off the line on 8/23, delivered 9/10.

Well worth the wait, the car is amazing!

Comment

I'm not really interested in all electric anything but I can't say I won't buy one in the future. I'm 54 and have a C6 and C8. My wife is 40 and she says her next car will be all electric. I'm not sure its a generational thing but I notice it seems (just from my perpective) younger people have more interest.

Comment

One part of the question is still relevant ... SOUND

I can’t count on the number of Threads and Videos on this forum that highlights the Sound of the Stingray and Stingray ZO6. Even the GMs own Designers highlight the amount of Engineering effort that went into make the ZO6 Sound like a true Beast.

So it’s a Great Question, who here should buy a an Electric Corvette without the Iconic Corvette Exhaust Sound?

Can’t wait to see how GM Engineers resolve that question.
          1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
          2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
          GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
            One part of the question is still relevant ... SOUND

I can’t count on the number of Threads and Videos on this forum that highlights the Sound of the Stingray and Stingray ZO6. Even the GMs own Designers highlight the amount of Engineering effort that went into make the ZO6 Sound like a true Beast.

So it’s a Great Question, who here should buy a an Electric Corvette without the Iconic Corvette Exhaust Sound?

Can’t wait to see how GM Engineers resolve that question.
            And they will resolve that question... IMHO!

Comment

As for the great ICE engine sound for EVs, there are manufactures working on products for EVs already. I saw this on YouTube over a year ago and it's from Harmon.

Harmon is working with auto manufacturers to provide simulated ICE engine sound for both inside and outside of the car. For outside, it's considered a safety feature as there have been accidents where people get hit because they don't hear the EV coming. Interesting to see how this unfolds. Maybe we'll be able to order a unique engine sound as an option with the EV Corvette. You can get the C7 ZR1, C8 Z06, or the Zora exhaust notes to tickle your fancy.

Comment

A companion poll to this might be fun. I will create it shortly.

UPDATE: Poll is up now: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tte#post346735
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Not surprised to see the video (made in 2019) with all the discussion about EV cars lacking engine noise which we’re all used to and most sport car enthusiasts prefer and with some car manufacturers already piping in artificial cabin sound. When the world goes all EV (no other choice for new vehicles) people will adapt as they always do IMO and embrace sound technology, accepting amongst other things it’s needed for safety so pedestrians and cyclists can hear you coming. Plus they’ll enjoy being able to choose their type of sound. The older generations (me included) will prefer their ICE sounds over the “fake” sounding EV’s but with government’s environmental focus, ICE vehicles may be taxed into oblivion by higher priced and reduced availability gas. That will have the public’s support once the majority are driving EV’s and see ICE vehicles as a harmful dinosaur from times when people ignored what they were doing to the planet. A sad end to a wonderful technology but one that may come AFTER my lifetime. In the distant future we may see ICE vehicles in museums where older people wistfully point them out to their grandchildren saying “I remember when my grandpa took me for a spin in a noisy carbon polluting sport car like that with its low-end torque and raw rumble and that I LOVED it! Those were the days!” while pressing a display button to hear the vrooooom of a V-8. You heard it here folks; enjoy your Corvettes and sport cars while you can! Anyone interested in purchasing a gas processing plant with me? Lol. Doom and gloom I know but…

Comment

Me thinks they should also consider “shakers” in the seats……..good vibrations….
                    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I commented in the poll thread too, but I won’t buy a C9 if I can’t turn off any fake engine noise. I know there will probably have to be some mandated, low speed, “pedestrian awareness” sound, but even there, a fake ice is silly to me. I find the tire noise is enough for most pedestrians to hear my Volt when it’s all electric, a wide C9 tire will be louder yet. There are many ICE cars that are very quiet when idling through a parking lot, but you can usually hear the tires. My Volt came out before any government requirement for a low speed pedestrian warning sound, but they did include a “pedestrian friendly alert”: Momentarily push the button on the end of the turn signal lever, and a soft-note alert will momentarily
                      sound.

If the C9 is a 2 seat, high performance EV, I will get one for sure. I will most likely keep the C8 though, they will definitely be two different animals. Demographics wise, I’m 62, so a baby boomer (1946-1964). I look forward to new technologies.

Comment

[QUOTE=John;n346674]The article is wrong as to timing (at least). Even before the strike, Covid, subsequent parts chain supply issues and the tornado, the C8 was going to not end until at least 2027, e.g., the C8 starting in 2028.

Might you please link the article. If it was the one by GM Authority on this subject, we have already dissected it to pieces, but if it is new, we would like to at least read it for there may be some good things to consider. Thanks.[/QU
                        Your missing the point, the exact date isn't important, it's elevatable the C9 will be electric, that Tesla Sports car (Drawing board only) numbers are specular, so there is no reasion the C9 won't outperform the C8. But it will be as quite as a church mouse. I don't pay much attention to any Tesla, even though there are a ton in this area, but today while walking my dog one drove by and the only sound it made is tire noise.

Comment

GM has committed to going all electric by 2035. So the C9 could be the last hurrah for the ICE or the C9 could be GM's flagship vehicle for the transition to all electric. Either way, I'm sure it will be pushing the envelope for an attainable high performance vehicle.
                          2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

What would be left for the C9 to do that the C8 doesn't do it the C9 isn't electric? At least without making it super expensive (all carbon fiber) and/or less dailyable by getting rid of the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              A companion poll to this might be fun. I will create it shortly.

UPDATE: Poll is up now: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tte#post346735
                              Good move John, I didn't think of that.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X