Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

Cheat sheet from Tech Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheat sheet from Tech Tuesday

I shared this on a different forum, thought it may be useful here.

Cheat sheet for how to keep your vehicle in neutral.
    Attached Files
    Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.

Superlative cheat sheet MeesterOver. Thanks for paring down twenty minutes of “less than needed story telling” into very important information. So important every one of us should print it and put it into our glove box (as I will do today before dinner).

Thank you also Rick Conti.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Superlative cheat sheet MeesterOver. Thanks for paring down twenty minutes of “less than needed story telling” into very important information. So important every one of us should print it and put it into our glove box (as I will do today before dinner).

Thank you also Rick Conti.
      Welcome, to be fair, another forum user typed up the summary. I condensed it and made it into the foldable cheat sheet.
      Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.

Comment

I am actually waiting for the super secret switch install that bypasses the driver door open sensor to prevent the parking pawl from engaging so you can keep it in neutral. I will let someone else with more desire to hunt down the electrical wire and try to prevent the sensor from triggering when the door opens. There has to be someone out there with more time on their hands than me.

Comment

Originally posted by MeesterOver View Post

Thank you very helpful...
          Corvette owner since 1970
          owned 1962,1982,1997
          Still own 1986
          1993 40th anniversary edition, 2003 50th anniversary edition
          on order 2020 Torch Red 3LT Z51 frt.lift all the goodies.

Comment

So what is the reason that I have to know this? If my car is dead, then what?
            2021 HTC Deposit placed 10/24/20. R8C-8/12/21

Comment

MeesterOver, thanks for posting. As John suggested I printed it out and put it in the glove box.

Comment

Are we now able to mention R*** C**** again on the forum?
                Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Originally posted by MeesterOver View Post

This is excellent. One question I have is can if you have the car in neutral can you apply the parking brake keeping the car in neutral so it will not move and then when for example you need to tow the car just release the parking brake? Hopefully this is not a stupid question.

My concern is if you left the car with it in neutral and you thought you were on level ground but you were not, the car could get away from you.
                  2020 Torch Red Z51, Mag Ride, 2LT, Two tone GT2 seats (Black Red), Front Lift, Engine Appearance, Red Engine Cover, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Wheels, Mirrors/Spoiler, Black Lugs, R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

Originally posted by GAG View Post

This is excellent. One question I have is can if you have the car in neutral can you apply the parking brake keeping the car in neutral so it will not move and then when for example you need to tow the car just release the parking brake? Hopefully this is not a stupid question.

My concern is if you left the car with it in neutral and you thought you were on level ground but you were not, the car could get away from you.
                    From a common sense perspective (not implying you do not have any here, just stating the obvious existence that there are individuals that do not fully think through things is all).

I would only put in neutral if being pulled onto the flat bed of a tow truck or I moved it in the garage,
                    only to either engage the parking brake or use wheel chocks.

Our trailer sits on flat ground in our garage, but I still have wheels chocks in place.

Just make sure to follow all safety and think through all of the possible worst outcomes, then mitigate the risks accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pb7148 View Post
                      Are we now able to mention R*** C**** again on the forum?
                      I did not know we could not. I edited the post title though. I am new 'round deez hear partz

Comment

Originally posted by Ea327 View Post
                        So what is the reason that I have to know this? If my car is dead, then what?
                        The Rick Conti video stated that he ran out of fuel and the engine died. It appears if you put the car in Neutral (before hitting the Start/Stop button) then the car will remain in Neutral until the driver's door is opened.
                        It may be the case that the posted procedures will work on an engine that has died if you omit step 1 (the parking pawl cannot be disengaged without the engine running).
                        The problem is that testing would require stopping the engine without pressing the Start/Stop button.
                        2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

The Rick Conti video stated that he ran out of fuel and the engine died. It appears if you put the car in Neutral (before hitting the Start/Stop button) then the car will remain in Neutral until the driver's door is opened.
                          It may be the case that the posted procedures will work on an engine that has died if you omit step 1 (the parking pawl cannot be disengaged without the engine running).
                          The problem is that testing would require stopping the engine without pressing the Start/Stop button.
                          If one has the presence of mind to do these steps while the car is still coasting, the parking pawl will be disengaged and you'll be able to get the car in neutral even without the engine running. But I suspect once the car comes to a stop, it's too late. And if you follow the steps in the second column (exiting the vehicle) but do NOT close the door after you get out, I suspect you can get back in the car without it going into park.

BTW, both processes are described in the owner's manual.
                          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

If one has the presence of mind to do these steps while the car is still coasting, the parking pawl will be disengaged and you'll be able to get the car in neutral even without the engine running. But I suspect once the car comes to a stop, it's too late. And if you follow the steps in the second column (exiting the vehicle) but do NOT close the door after you get out, I suspect you can get back in the car without it going into park.

BTW, both processes are described in the owner's manual.
                            It appears that the parking pawl is string loaded to engage and remains disengaged buy an electrically controlled locking mechanism, and hydraulic pressure is required to overcome the spring pressure to disengage the pawl. So it is quite possible that the parking pawl will remain disengaged even after the vehicle is stopped without the engine running until the Park button or Start/Stop button is pressed, or the door is opened depending on conditions.

I did a quick test where I stopped, opened the door, shifted from Drive to Neutral, and shut the engine off. The car remained in Neutral. I could also engage and disengage the parking brake without making the car shift into Park. I suspect you could also follow this procedure if the engine dies and the car would remain in Neutral.
                            RKCRLR
                            Senior Contributor
                            Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-15-2022, 01:25 PM.
                            2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

It appears that the parking pawl is spring loaded to engage and remains disengaged buy an electrically controlled locking mechanism, and hydraulic pressure is required to overcome the spring pressure to disengage the pawl. So it is quite possible that the parking pawl will remain disengaged even after the vehicle is stopped without the engine running until the Park button or Start/Stop button is pressed, or the door is opened depending on conditions.
                              From what I've read it requires hydraulic pressure from the DCT shafts spinning to keep the parking pawl disengaged. I have no proof of that, however.
                              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X