Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

Extended Warranty (GM Platinum/Platinum Wrap/Silver)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Warranty (GM Platinum/Platinum Wrap/Silver)

Hi Folks,
    I’m still a month out before my C8 is built and I’m trying to ensure that I think off “everything”. I’ve been reading the threads regarding extended warranties (I’m in California).

From what I understand,California residents cannot purchase the extended B2B coverage. If I’m incorrect, please let me know.

This led me to examine the warranties offered by Dennis and others.

Link to contract: https://secureservercdn.net/104.238....e_contract.pdf

What caught my attention was page 2, 8. Maintenance Requirements. It states:”You must have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by the Vehicle’s manufacturer.”

Is this stating that all maintenance must be completed by GM/Chevrolet dealerships?

I’m just looking for some clarification regarding this statement.

Thanks in advanced.

While I’m no Lawyer, legalese like this usually pertains to following the manufacturers recommended service/maintenance intervals. Which means save all you receipts as evidence that you had followed the manufacturers recommendations.
    07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

No you don't have to use a dealer for service, but you better keep all your records of service and make sure any parts or fluids that are used by a non-dealer servicing facility, meet the GM standards. This can get confusing, and it's easy for non-dealer service to just tell you they used the right stuff. The extended warranties mostly include the first three years you own the car. Your factory warranty covers you for that period anyway, so you really only get two years of extended coverage. You might consider a B to B warranty purchase near the end of your factory warranty, and get coverage well beyond the two years that are usually offered. It's more expensive, in a way, but if your milage is low and you've kept the car in great condition, you come out on top by not wasting the first three years your factory warranty covered anyway. That's what I plan to do when my factory warranty gets close to expiring.

Comment

I think two different types of extended warranty products are being confused here. The type most are familiar with is what is today known as the Chevrolet Protection Plan (CPP), which is not an extension of the factory B2B warranty and sold by dealers, but underwritten by a 3rd party. It covers most, but not everything.

The second is relatively new product ONLY OFFERED AT TIME OF ORIGINAL SALE, and it is a GM extension of the factory warranty.

The CPP is a good product and can be purchased anytime prior to expiration of factory B2B warranty. However, if you shop around for best price, you'll pay less for a 6-year CPP purchased when the car is originally delivered than a 3-year CPP at the end. You're not paying for the B2B overlap period because pricing accounts for that, and the cost of these plans goes up every year. 3 years of price inflation usually makes the shorter plan at the end more expensive unless you've overpaid for the 6-year plan at the beginning.
        Foosh
        Sr. Contributor
        Last edited by Foosh; 01-14-2022, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Great information Foosh. Thank you.

Two thoughts as to Foehammer’s questions above:

First, and this was bid out recently, call Todd Sutherland @ MacMulkin for he was hundreds less than Dennis Fichtner for the identical coverage — so I would also try him.

Second, I do some of my oil changes at home and with my cell phones having pictures being time and date indicated, I take a picture of my receipt showing which oil and which filter I bought, next take a before picture of my IP’s “oil life monitor” (e.g., 27% with it showing my odometer), then do my oil and filter change, and immediately after my oil change, again take a picture of the oil life monitor (either 99% or 100%) AND again also my odometer reading being the same. If you want to go OCD you go also take a picture of your empty oil can and filter on the side of your garage.

These steps will insure your GM warranty will cover you.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

To tag on to the above, I've purchased several plans from the Fichtners, and they are usually close to the best price. However, the last CPP I purchased was at delivery of a new C7 from Mike Furman at Criswell, and he did beat Fichtner's price.

Bottom line and to make things easier, get a quote from FIchtner first, then check your dealer and perhaps MacMulkin or Criswell. Do not accept your dealer's first offer, unless it's already under the lowest quote from any of the above. There is a lot of markup included in the "sticker price" of the CPP.

I don't believe there is any negotiation room on the GM B2B extension available only on day or purchase.

Comment

Good advice from all. I've been doing my own oil/filter changes for 30+ years, on my and my family's vehicles. I "religiously" enter into each vehicle service booklet, the date, mileage and type of oil and filter used and whether I've changed the pan plug washer or the plug itself, so I describe all work done. I do that as the oil is draining so it's contemporaneous with the work. I also let the oil drain out a LONG time; sometimes overnight for my more expensive vehicles/engines, if that's viable. I usually buy OEM filters and other OEM parts, as needed and also usually use oil that surpasses the OEM specs (for example, Liqui Moly from Germany has become a favorite synthetic oil although I use the proper Mobil 1 for the Corvette) . If I was ever challenged, I'd have my records along with the receipts for the oil etc. used. I've never thought to take photos as additional back-up and suppose that's much easier these days with smart phones. John's idea of noting the "oil life monitor" status is a good one and one I'll have to start doing for any vehicle that provides that reading (thanks John). However if any vehicle manufacturer tried to dispute what I've done, my records coupled with my testimony would "sway the day" proving I've complied with the maintenance requirements. I can't imagine a Court rejecting that evidence when there would be no other tenable evidence to prove otherwise, especially with that same Court already looking sideways at a manufacturer trying to get out of its warranty obligations. Finally and in general, the manufacturer has the onus of proving the vehicle owner has breached the warranty requirements (ALWAYS read the fine print).

Comment

Thank you all for the great info.

Can someone help me understand if the extended B2B coverage is offered in California? I thought I read that it was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Foehammer View Post
                  Thank you all for the great info.

Can someone help me understand if the extended B2B coverage is offered in California? I thought I read that it was not.
                  I'm in California and the B2B is not available to us.

I selected the Platinum plan from my courtesy dealer, Abel Chevy. They we're the lowest price of 3 quotes. I'll send you a PM.
                  Red Mist Coupe, LT3, Z51, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Dual Tops, CF Interior, Black Int w/Red Stitching, Red Bolsters, Edge Red Calipers, Engine Appearance, Edge Red Engine Cover and Carbon Flash Wheels. TPW was 12/13

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X