Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

Engine Air Filter Life System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Air Filter Life System

Nearing 10,000 miles and getting ready for an oil change at the dealer so I figured I'd check the air filter guidance in the Owners Manual. Didn't even know the C8 has a "system" like the OLM for the air filter. 2020 Manual page 224 says:

"When to Change Engine Air Filter. If equipped, this feature provides an indication of when to change the engine air filter. It is based on driving conditions, which can cause when to change to vary greatly. It is possible an air filter change may not be indicated for up to four years.

When the "Replace at Next Oil Change" message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced at the time of the next engine oil change. When the "Replace Engine Air Filter Now" message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced as soon as possible. Reset the engine air filter life system after the engine air filter is replaced. See your dealer for service and to reset the system."

I notice it says "if equipped". Not all C8s have this?

Guess I won't worry about it till the "Replace at Next Oil Change" dummy comes on.

My understand is the C8 isn't equipped with an air filter monitor on any trim level.
    2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post
      My understand is the C8 isn't equipped with an air filter monitor on any trim level.
      Well thats interesting. Wonder why the 2020 C8 owners manual would say that if no C8s have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

Well thats interesting. Wonder why the 2020 C8 owners manual would say that if no C8s have it.
        Boilerplate
        2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

Boilerplate
          I can see where that could cause confusion. Guess I won't wait for the "Replace at Next Oil Change" dummy.

Comment

I was told by my dealer that the C8 didn't have that either. Doesn't an air filter typically lasts about 20 - 25K miles? My Honda's all warn around 25K for the air filter change...

Comment

The C8 (at least my 2021 2LT) DOES have an air filter life monitor display. In the DIC, scroll right until you see the oil life monitor display. Then scroll down. That's where it is on mine. This is with almost 6,000 miles on the clock:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220113_194959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	346432

I suspect GM put this in because of what a pain in the butt it is to open up the airbox and visually inspect the filter.

The interesting question is how it works. It could detect pressure drop between the input and output sides of the filter. But I suspect it's an algorithm, like the oil life monitor. What is uses to calculate the percentage, other than engine revolutions and perhaps engine hours, I have no guesses.
              meyerweb
              Forum Founder, Sr. Content Contributor & Patron
              Last edited by meyerweb; 01-13-2022, 07:58 PM.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

My 3LT 2020 does NOT have it. But my 2020 manual also says if equipped.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                  The C8 (at least my 2021 2LT) DOES have an air filter life monitor display. In the DIC, scroll right until you see the oil life monitor display. Then scroll down. That's where it is on mine. This is with almost 6,000 miles on the clock. The interesting question is how it works. It could detect pressure drop between the input and output sides of the filter. But I suspect it's an algorithm, like the oil life monitor. What is uses to calculate the percentage, other than engine revolutions and perhaps engine hours, I have no guesses.
                  As the MECF Sr. Content Contributor, I figured you'd have info. Does this mean I will get the "Replace at Next Oil Change" dummy warning or not?

Comment

As the MECF Sr. Content Contributor, I figured you'd have info. Does this mean I will get the "Replace at Next Oil Change" dummy warning or not?
                    I had completely missed this, too. Someone else on the forum discovered it, and I had to go see if my car had it. I think we sometimes forget the DIC info can scroll up and down as well as sideways.

With 83% of life left at 6000 miles, it seems like it's going to be a long time before I discover what the change air filter message looks like.

(BTW, that title is John's doing, not mine. )
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Check your DIC as Meyerweb suggests. You said you have a 2020. My 2020 does not have the air filter monitor (unless it is in a different place than a 2021).

Comment

meyerweb
                        Forum Founder, Sr. Content Contributor & Patron
                        meyerweb Thanks for the DIC tip. I just check my 2021 and it has it too, so my dealer was incorrect when he told the C8 didn't have it. I read the PDF manual before I picked up my car back in April 2021 and I asked him the very same question the OP asked, and that was what "if equipped" means for this function. I guess he may have been thinking about the MY2020 C8s if they didn't have it and didn't realize the MY2021s had it.

Good clarification. Thanks

Comment

So does it measure actual remaining filter life by pressure across the filter, or other actual means, or is it a calculation, like the remaining oil life indicator?
                          Expected build - 2022 HTC 2LT Z51
                          Front lift, mag ride
                          black exterior, adrenaline red interior, bright red calipers

Comment

[QUOTE=meyerweb;n346439](BTW, that title is John's doing, not mine. )[/QUOTE

Its descriptive and accurate considering your outstanding contributions to the forum. Your post #7 in this thread is just the latest example. Thanks.

Comment

My guess would be that by the time anyone needs a new filter K&N will have a million mile filter and probably less expensive at a parts store! I've been using them for years with no issues. Tomg

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X