Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

Pretty disappointed by lack of new features with software updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty disappointed by lack of new features with software updates

A few current features that can be improved that come to mind are
    1. Z-Mode reverting back to tour mode when pressed
    2. The 2021 models have a visualization for the different modes in settings. I have the 2021, but it seems like such a simple update for GM
    3. The volume auto-adjust is atrocious. Coming from a bmw, i find i have to constantly adjust my volume when cruising around town vs highway driving. Yes i have bose audiopilot turned on, no it doesn't work very well.
    4. The ability to roll down windows with the keyfob is great, but maybe let us roll them back up?
    Few software features that could easily be added
    1. Auto brake hold (i.e. when you come to a stop, the parking brake activates, disengages the clutch, and lets your feet take a breather from pressing the brake)
    2. When in reverse, the right side mirror could tilt down. (If (reverse) f_tilt_mirror_down; else f_tilt_mirror_to_user_setting) Easy!
    3. There's no reason you need a $7k+ package to auto-move back your seat for easy entry/exit, none.
    4. If your phone is detected in the charging bay when the key is not in the car, notify the owner somehow. I know i'm not the only one to leave their phone there (and i don't even have wireless charging, it's just to easy to forget)
    5. Ability to go in tow mode (or put the car in neutral) without turning it on, or going under the car
    6. Ability to use one of the TWO rear cameras as dashcams. Can be useful on the track, or you know, if you get rear ended.
    7. A way to lock the car using the unlock button (say, 2x tap the unlock handle button)

Again, love the car, I'm just disappointed that OTA updates were heavily touted to be a selling point, and I'm yet to see one useful update.

Agreed. I'd also like to see an external battery charging port.

Comment

I agree in general. GM seems to view the OTA as a way to correct bugs only, not add new features. And it doesn't even work very well for bug fixes, with many uses reporting they don't get notified of updates, or that updates fail to install. But:

The mirror tilt already exists:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-12 10.27.26 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	346046

And GM seems to have added the phone notification to 2022 models with the wireless charging pad. But it would be nice if they provided it to those of us with older cars.

Only putting some features (like seat memory) in higher trim levels is standard in the auto industry. That's how they get people to pay for the higher trim levels. That has nothing to do with OTAs, and will never change. You're not going to get the same features in a base trim level as you get in higher trim levels, ever.

Bose systems don't have auto-volume adjust. Audio Pilot adjusts certain frequencies to try to compensate for noise in the interior. (For example, if the interior mics detect high frequency wind noise, the system boost the high frequencies. If it detect tire rumble, it boosts the low frequencies.) It pretty much sucks, but that's Bose, and can't be fixed with an OTA. I wish GM would get over it's love affair with Bose and offer some real high quality audio options.

Rolling the windows up remotely, like raising the roof on the HTC remotely, is probably not available because of liability fears if someone gets their fingers or neck caught while it goes up. Sorta dumb, since the windows auto-reverse if something stops their motion, but big corporations are in many ways driven by liability fears.

Not sure what you mean by locking the car with the unlock button. Which unlock button? You can lock it when you get out of the car just by pressing the lock button on the inside before you close the door.
      meyerweb
      Forum Founder, Sr. Content Contributor & Patron
      Last edited by meyerweb; 01-12-2022, 10:41 AM.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I'll make a comment on item 4 - auto window rollup - as that has been an "issue" for me on multiple cars from multiple OEMs over the years. I had a conversation one time with a door system engineer (many years ago, when I was working on developing a composite door module system) about that. The OEM that he worked with didn't offer auto window rollup due to the liability of injury if an animal or child was leaning out the window. He cited a NHTSA study that gave the annual number of incidents. Not saying that I'm in support or against, or commenting about a litigious society, but there is a rationale.
        Al Chan

Incoming: 2022 C8: Z51/FE4 2LT Coupe; Hypersonic Gray/Natural Napa competition bucket seats; some other minor stuff
        Other/Previous Corvette experiences: 1969 427/390 coupe; 1992 Z07 coupe; 2003 Z06; 2009 Z06, 2020 Z51/FE4 Long Beach Red

Comment

this would be huge. This is my first vette without a manual and really miss it. I do not think it is mechanically possible, especially if the battery is dead.
          1. Ability to go in tow mode (or put the car in neutral) without turning it on, or going under the car

Comment

Originally posted by Dmraco View Post
            this would be huge. This is my first vette without a manual and really miss it. I do not think it is mechanically possible, especially if the battery is dead.
            1. Ability to go in tow mode (or put the car in neutral) without turning it on, or going under the car
            Meant to comment on that one, too. It's not a software fix. The parking pawl requires hydraulic pressure to release, and there's only pressure when the transmission is spinning. This seems to be common with DCTs, not just the Corvette. It would have been nice if GM and Tremec had figured out a way to avoid it, however.
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

There is no mechanical linkage that connects to the transmission. Disengaging the parking pawl would require a cable or linkage to overcome the spring pressure. Something similar the door emergency release system could be integrated. But for the rare circumstances in which it is used I would rather forgo the additional cost incurred of integrating such a system.
              2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

There is no mechanical linkage that connects to the transmission. Disengaging the parking pawl would require a cable or linkage to overcome the spring pressure. Something similar the door emergency release system could be integrated. But for the rare circumstances in which it is used I would rather forgo the additional cost incurred of integrating such a system.
                or a $500 tool from GM

Comment

Interesting insights that I never thought of.

i have no complaints. I just enjoy the world class sports car so much as is.

i guess its good to bring up to the engineering and marketing staff this way they can decide if there is a need for these types of suggestions.

Comment

I guess I need to brush up on the details of towing this car. Not that I'm going to tow it but you never know when it might happen, I know I read about it, but now that you mention it, what is the procedure to allow the car to be rolled onto a tow vehicle? I'll look it up. As for the windows, I too would like to see the windows roll back up with a second push and hold of the unlock button. I roll them down quite often when removing the targa roof. But when placing it back on the car, it would be nice to push the button and get the windows back up. Instead we have to get inside and use the accessory position on the start button. I'd like to push the button, have the windows roll up, and walk away.

Comment

or a $500 tool from GM
                      And a second person to use it while you push the car.

Comment

[QUOTE=meyerweb;n346045]I agree in general. GM seems to view the OTA as a way to correct bugs only, not add new features. And it doesn't even work very well for bug fixes, with many uses reporting they don't get notified of updates, or that updates fail to install. But:

Bose systems don't have auto-volume adjust. Audio Pilot adjusts certain frequencies to try to compensate for noise in the interior. (For example, if the interior mics detect high frequency wind noise, the system boost the high frequencies. If it detect tire rumble, it boosts the low frequencies.) It pretty much sucks, but that's Bose, and can't be fixed with an OTA. I wish GM would get over it's love affair with Bose and offer some real high quality audio options.

Amen, had a system like that on a car and it was horrible. Brought the volume up too loud and too slowly. Thankfully it can be turned off. Not a fan of Bose either though. We have a Jeep Cherokee, and the stereo in that little SUV is awesome. The Bose only sounds good to me when the source has just the right mix engineered in at the recording studio. In their defense, they get a lot out of small speakers. Sometimes changing the stereo stage (sound focus) in settings helps.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          i have no complaints. I just enjoy the world class sports car so much as is.
                          Same here. There is nothing on this thread that I've even thought of or need on my C8. I'm sure they would add cost to the C8.

Comment

The window "roll up" is never going to happen from an OEM...too much liability potential. It's the same for the HTC, you can't put the top UP remotely (although someone used to make a gadget that would allow window up/top up remotely for the C7 convertible)

I don't understand the need for 2 presses to lock using the unlock button. There's a LOCK button RIGHT beside the UNLOCK button.

As far as "reverse tilt mirrors", I assume the OP has a 1LT car??? I know 2LT/3LT cars have that.

^^^
                            Never mind. He does have 1LT as he mentions lack of memory settings/easy ingress/egress seating.
                            jimmyb
                            Sr. Contributor
                            Last edited by jimmyb; 01-12-2022, 06:29 PM.

Comment

The one thing that I wouldn’t mind seeing is the before mention item about the car defaulting to tour mode from Z-mode. I would rather it just default to the previous mode before hitting Z-mode. Not a big deal…just something I would like.

I haven’t seen my C8 in almost 2 months. I can’t imagine how many OTA updates it’s gonna have.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X