See less

Warranty Void?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago, I use to use my favorite local mechanic's garage, do it myself or even on a rare occasion, an oil change location. However, in the past 20+ years I will only take my vehicles to a GM dealership. One of the main reasons why is to have all my vehicle records in their system as to cover any issues or concerns that might come up. This way GM won't be able to blame me for any engine or any part failures.
    Marc

Comment

I use an adjustable oil filter wrench to remove different sized filters - it works well. Not sure whether this is the exact one linked below, but it's similar. Worked on the C8 one without issues.
      https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adj.../dp/B07PYNM72P
      shiumai
      Senior Contributor
      Last edited by shiumai; 01-11-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc NY View Post
        Many years ago, I use to use my favorite local mechanic's garage, do it myself or even on a rare occasion, an oil change location. However, in the past 20+ years I will only take my vehicles to a GM dealership. One of the main reasons why is to have all my vehicle records in their system as to cover any issues or concerns that might come up. This way GM won't be able to blame me for any engine or any part failures.
        I agree with this, although I had a interesting experience last year. When my C7 Z06 broke a valve spring and the extended-warranty (Chevy Protection Plan) company asked for my annual oil change records, the service writer had all of them in their computer system but one, which was done as a different Chevy dealer. I had a paper copy that I copied and sent to him, but I was surprised that he could not see all the records for the car from any dealer. Maybe he really could but he is too dim to know how to do it. But I do know that in the BMW world all the dealer servicing on a car comes up with the VIN regardless of where it was done. So I still recommend keeping paper copies of receipts for dealer or any work done on your car. --Bob
        2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPS Z"
        -Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels
        1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
        1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
        1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
        ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
        Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
        NCM Lifetime Member
        Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
        "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Comment

Originally posted by Warp Ten View Post

I agree with this, although I had a interesting experience last year. When my C7 Z06 broke a valve spring and the extended-warranty (Chevy Protection Plan) company asked for my annual oil change records, the service writer had all of them in their computer system but one, which was done as a different Chevy dealer. I had a paper copy that I copied and sent to him, but I was surprised that he could not see all the records for the car from any dealer. Maybe he really could but he is too dim to know how to do it. But I do know that in the BMW world all the dealer servicing on a car comes up with the VIN regardless of where it was done. So I still recommend keeping paper copies of receipts for dealer or any work done on your car. --Bob
          I agree about keeping good records on vehicles. I create files and keep every record on all the vehicles I own. I sell my vehicles on my own, i never trade in as I like to maximize my sales price (I'm notoriously frugal, but not cheap). Keeping very thorough records helps give the buyer some assurance the vehicle has been meticulously maintained and strengthens my asking price. And of course it is your proof that you followed all maintenance recommendations if there is a warranty dispute.

Comment

If you do your own maintenance, take a look at the Carfax app. It makes tracking your own maintenance super easy and you can even upload copies of receipts, etc. Best part is, the self-performed maintenance then shows up on your vehicles Carfax report.
            2020 C8 | Torch Red | 3LT | Z51 Performance Package | 5W8 Ground Effects Package | Cicio Performance Lowering Kit | Vossen HF-5 Wheels | Front Lift | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash Mirrors | GT2 Seats | Black Leather | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red Seat Belts

Comment

Originally posted by Warp Ten View Post

I agree with this, ,,, So I still recommend keeping paper copies of receipts for dealer or any work done on your car. --Bob
              I keep all paper records in a binder from all my dealer visits to have just in case the GM's computer system goes on down or gets purged after so many years. I know this because I had asked for a record of a part replacement on my Chevy SSR that was done in 2005 and the dealer said it was no longer in their system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dealer Records Edit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.48 MB ID:	346222
              Marc

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X