Warranty Void?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty Void?

Just asking to gather info for me. Lets say you (or me) were to have an engine problem or even a engine failure. You did all the oil changes yourself and had documentation to prove it. However, the documentation showed that you did not use an AC Delco oil filter. You used a Wix or Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter. Would or could GM void your warranty based on NOT using an AC Delco filter?

I can't swear but it seems like I read that the oem filter was special.

Comment

Originally posted by ssr Mike View Post
      I can't swear but it seems like I read that the oem filter was special.
      I think I remember something about that too. Maybe something about the pressure it bypasses at?

Comment

Using aftermarket filters that meet the OEM specifications won't void your warranty. You do need to make sure you use an oil filter that meets the higher bypass pressure that the PF64 meets.
        2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

I buy my oil & filter over the dealers parts counter. Hard for them to argue I used the wrong products.

Comment

Well, first, GM would have to PROVE that the filter CAUSED the failure. Not just say that it did. You would probably have to take them to court to make them actually do it.

Second. If the company that made the filter made claims that the filter was correct for that engine. They have made a legal argument that they are saying that filter meets or exceeds GM's specs. If GM proves that isn't true, then you could take legal action against the filter manufacturer.

None of that will help you in the short term with a blowed up engine.. But a lot of lawyers will make money..

Anyway, I really, seriously, doubt that if you use a filter that says it is correct for a LT2 engine, GM is going to have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post
              Using aftermarket filters that meet the OEM specifications won't void your warranty. You do need to make sure you use an oil filter that meets the higher bypass pressure that the PF64 meets.
              The Wix - WL 10290XP and WL 10290 both have the same bypass pressure as the PF65 which is 22 PSI.

Comment

Why not just use the PF64, though? There are literally billions of engine miles on that filter, and there's no indication it is subpar in any way.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                  Why not just use the PF64, though? There are literally billions of engine miles on that filter, and there's no indication it is subpar in any way.
                  I have had a hard time finding a filter wrench that fits the filter to remove and install it. The one I found slipped so badly I barely got the filter loose. Then it slipped so much it was rough getting the filter tight. So I though I would look for other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Interested View Post

I have had a hard time finding a filter wrench that fits the filter to remove and install it. The one I found slipped so badly I barely got the filter loose. Then it slipped so much it was rough getting the filter tight. So I though I would look for other options.
                    This is the one I use. The only issue is that it fits so sungly I need to use a screwdriver though the square hole to knock the old filter loose after I remove it from the car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

This is the one I use. The only issue is that it fits so sungly I need to use a screwdriver though the square hole to knock the old filter loose after I remove it from the car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      I am amazed that with all these filters sold that there is not a wrench/socket that fits the filter perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Vette Interested View Post

I have had a hard time finding a filter wrench that fits the filter to remove and install it. The one slipped so badly I barely got the filter loose. Then it slipped so much it was rough getting the filter tight. So I though I would look for other options.
                        I have not changed the oil on a C8, and probably won't when I receive mine. My oil changing days are over. But when I did perform oil changes on many vehicles, I never would use a wrench to install a new filter. Over tightening can lead to gasket failure and makes removing the old filter a major PIA to get them off.
                        The process I always used was to spin the filter on until the gasket made contact with the sealing surface then tighten 3/4 to one full turn by hand, no wrench.
                        Is the LT2 different?

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleTim View Post

I have not changed the oil on a C8, and probably won't when I receive mine. My oil changing days are over. But when I did perform oil changes on many vehicles, I never would use a wrench to install a new filter. Over tightening can lead to gasket failure and makes removing the old filter a major PIA to get them off.
                          The process I always used was to spin the filter on until the gasket made contact with the sealing surface then tighten 3/4 to one full turn by hand, no wrench.
                          Is the LT2 different?
                          I agree 1000% but when I was at the dealer buying the filter a C8 tech walked by and told me that they have had C8’s come back because the filter was not tight enough. He said 3/4 turn was NOT enough.

Comment

I haven't changed my filter yet but can you even get your hand through the hole? It seems like an oil filter wrench would be necessary.
                            2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleTim View Post

Is the LT2 different?
                              Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post
                              I haven't changed my filter yet but can you even get your hand through the hole? It seems like an oil filter wrench would be necessary.
                              ^^^
                              This.

If you have small fingers you could probably grip the filter, but I don't think you could get a strong enough grip to turn in a full turn. Using a wrench doesn't mean you have to torque it down as much as you can. Pay attention to how far you're turning the wrench.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X