Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Monday’s Software Changes & Upgrades

Monday’s software updates, including changes to our Photo Gallery, User Name Cards, and other changes & fixes can be accessed here: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...re-update-info. Thanks brad66 for creating the linked thread.
2 of 2 < >

Official Z06 Press Release, Reveal Pictures and Visualizer Access

See more
See less

​​​​​​​Just How Long Will It Be Until Chevy Makes The Corvette Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ I'm not sure anyone is actually changing individual cells. While that's the internal construction, they're all packed super tightly and hard wired in the battery pack. It's not like a bunch of AA cells where you can just pop one out and replace it. *

What Tesla can do is electronically remove a defective cell from operation, but that's not the same as replacing it.

* Except for the Mercedes AA class: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...rcedes/3021121
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
      ^^^ I'm not sure anyone is actually changing individual cells. While that's the internal construction, they're all packed super tightly and hard wired in the battery pack. It's not like a bunch of AA cells where you can just pop one out and replace it. *

What Tesla can do is electronically remove a defective cell from operation, but that's not the same as replacing it.

* Except for the Mercedes AA class: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...rcedes/3021121
      Some old EVs can’t switch individual cells/modules. New-ish can and manufacturers have established regimes for when and how to measure each cell. They measure when your car is getting serviced at an authorized service point.
      Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

The King of Top Fuel himself, Don "Big Daddy" Garlits, celebrates his 90th birthday today January 14th by wearing his electric dragster tee shirt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dg88.JPG?itok=xs6ESVsR.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	613.1 KB
ID:	346603
        Bob Sliwa
        "I was cruising in my E-Ray, late one night, when a Tesla Model S, pulled up on the right......."
        Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Ludicrous Speed Restomod.
        Ludicrous Speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

2020 C8 ELB - Event Status 666 - Completely destroyed at the race track due to year 2020! Insured!!!
        2022-2023? E-Ray - Number 4 on the List at MacMulkin!

Comment

I think that like Ferrari's hybrids, the battery pack will be small and the electric motor(s) used to increase performance, not fuel economy.
          Actually, the Ferrari's batteries are not that small and they substantially increase the fuel economy. The Ferrari SF90 has a 51 MPGe

Comment

With all the start-up issues on the C8, I am thinking ~2030 for the C9. A major question remains on whether it will be a BEV or a very efficient ICE/EV hybrid (think Super Volt using an LT3*). I suspect our friend, Super Engineer Ed Piatek has already been given that question to answer.

No pressure, Ed, but tell us when you know something. We won't tell anyone else, LOL !!

(*LT3 is one-half of an LT6 making ~400 HP. Add 400 HP from the battery and you have an 800 HP supercar that will weight less than the curren t C8.)
            dcbingaman
            Founding Member & Sr. Contributor
            Last edited by dcbingaman; 01-15-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by msm859 View Post

Actually, the Ferrari's batteries are not that small and they substantially increase the fuel economy. The Ferrari SF90 has a 51 MPGe
              For 15 miles, which is all the batteries are good for. And on the EPA test, which never uses more than about 15% throttle. Put your foot in it and the mileages is probably in single digits. A Prius the Ferrari is not.
              Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
                With all the start-up issues on the C8, I am thinking ~2030 for the C9. A major question remains on whether it will be a BEV or a very efficient ICE/EV hybrid (think Super Volt using an LT3*). I suspect our friend, Super Engineer Ed Piatek has already been given that question to answer.

No pressure, Ed, but tell us when you know something. We won't tell anyone else, LOL !!

(*LT3 is one-half of an LT6 making ~400 HP. Add 400 HP from the battery and you have an 800 HP supercar that will weight less than the curren t C8.)
                GM announced a couple of years ago they were not going to make any more hybrids. The E-Ray is likely an exception because it was so far along in development.

Comment

GM announced a couple of years ago they were not going to make any more hybrids. The E-Ray is likely an exception because it was so far along in development.
                  True, but the C9 could be a special case. The LT6 was a huge investment and would be a waste to throw away in 8 years. A turbo I-4 or V-4 derived from the LT6 coupled to a 400V starter-generator to drive the front wheels might be real interesting.

The fastest sports car drivetrain EVER built was in the Porsche 919 endurance prototype that won LeMans three years in a row. That one had V-4 with two turbos - one turbo pressurized the intake manifold, while the second one spun an alternator to charge the battery. The V-4 powered the rear wheels while the battery drove two electric motor/generators that drove the front wheels. Brilliant, very fuel efficient and very fast.

Comment

GM has announced they will be 100% EV by 2035… I am not sure GM would want to shovel a lot of money into the C9 as a hybrid and then have to change it 3-4 years later into pure EV
                    Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

True, but the C9 could be a special case. The LT6 was a huge investment and would be a waste to throw away in 8 years. A turbo I-4 or V-4 derived from the LT6 coupled to a 400V starter-generator to drive the front wheels might be real interesting.
                      By the same token, would GM want to make a huge investment in hybrid technology that is used in only one model?

Comment

By the same token, would GM want to make a huge investment in hybrid technology that is used in only one model?
                        But they will already have hybrid tech with the ERay and Zora.. Here is my thinking. GM wants to move to all electric by 2035. But I personally feel, the Corvette is going to be their last ICE vehicle. Why move "American Muscle" to EV before one of their "standard" vehicles. Especially since the vette followers are going to be the last to "accept" the EV. I think they would stretch the C8 out a couple years past 2030, and move to all EV by 2032/33. Or maybe start the C9 "Early" 2028/29, with Hybrid, then move to all EV mid C9, or make C9 a small run, and do C10 2035ish with EV. Its all speculation, but I just don't see the Corvette going all EV while there are other ICE GM vehicles.. Unless those vehicles are maybe specialty work/heavy duty vehicles.
                        Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                        Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                        AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

^^^
                          The E-Ray and Zora are almost certain to be light hybrids, with small battery capacity. It's not even clear they will be plug-in hybrids. There just isn't a lot of room in the chassis for lots of battery. To make a hybrid meaningful in terms of the environment, I think they'd have to build a new chassis. That's expensive. Developing a new platform can easily cost a billion dollars. Hard to see GM doing that for a stopgap model when they've already spent billions on EV platforms, which can be more easily shared among different models.

I think it's far more likely they'd extend the production run of the C8 if they're not ready to move the Corvette to an all EV platform than to build a new model for a short production run and then converting to an EV. The could restyle the bodywork and interior for far less money than building a new car. There won't be a hybrid version of a C9 and an EV version of the C9 because the design requirements of an ICE platform and an EV platform are just so different. A pure EV will have no room for an ICE and its associated components, and an ICE platform will compromise room for large capacity batteries located for a low CG that a pure EV needs.

As I already stated, GM said no more hybrids. There's no reason to think they've changed that decision. The Corvette team is charged with developing EVs. Unless GM changes it's mind about moving to an all eV lineup, I just don't see them investing in new ICE or hybrid platforms.
                          meyerweb
                          Forum Founder, Sr. Content Contributor & Patron
                          Last edited by meyerweb; 01-16-2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

^^^
                            The E-Ray and Zora are almost certain to be light hybrids, with small battery capacity. It's not even clear they will be plug-in hybrids. There just isn't a lot of room in the chassis for lots of battery. To make a hybrid meaningful in terms of the environment.
                            Yes, you are 100% correct on this. You and I were thinking about 2 different things. ERay and Zora are really ICE w/ electrical assist. And yes, I agree there will never be a TRUE Hybrid Corvette. I was thinking that electric-assist type of hybrid when I was talking about the C9, but now I no longer think this. Maybe they do a mid generation redesign like they did with the C4 to extend the C8 life a few years? Who knows...
                            Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                            Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                            AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

Another consideration is……Surely a competitor will produce an EV with performance that can’t be matched by an ICE Corvette. Competition is a good thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if a C9 test bed of some sort already exists.
                              Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

I think we will have to see on this one. The C8 is really architected for 2 seats and an ICE engine. The architecture for an EV sportscar will be completely different. Porsche has already given us a preview with the Taycan. Will the Taycan replace the iconic 911 ? Yes and no. Porsche already sells way more Taycan's than 911's or 718's combined. It would not be far-fetched to think of Porsche with the Taycan as it's "sports car", a BEV Panamera as it's sedan and two or three BEV SUV / CUV's. The ICE 911 and 718 will simply fade away and not be replaced.

The same could happen with the Corvette. The C8 may be the last of its kind both in use of an ICE AND as a 2-seater. A new Corvette EV (C9) may debut as a four-seat sports sedan like the Taycan, (but hopefully better looking.) The Corvette could then replace both the C8 AND the Malibu, while the rest of the Chevy SUV / CUV and truck lines transition from ICE-powered platforms to BEV platforms. The Corvette BEV could still be a very high performance car, but more along the lines of a "Gran Coupe" (think Mercedes AMG GT Sedan) with differentiation based on the number of motors and RWD vs. AWD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes AMG GT Sedan.png
Views:	27
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	347301 Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche Taycan GTS.png
Views:	22
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	347302

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse